Main reason for moving back?

Old Apr 6th 2008, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Main reason for moving back?

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
I'm drunk, I'll take what I can get
Cheeky bas*ard
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I guess you would be getting your grandma's house at mates rates because there are not a lot of $200k homes around at the moment, unless you fancy a tiny little weatherboard out at Cabbage Tree Creek or something. Anything remotely suburban is well over that now. Unfortunately those areas with cheap housing are really not the places that most people (especially migrants) want to live - there is often not the job market out in the sticks that people need in order to pay their mortgage (higher interest rates too). Combine all that with relatively lower wages and there really isnt that much of a difference actually. It is getting nigh on impossible for young Australians to get on the property ladder these days.
Sorry no mates rates, I have monitored prices where my Uncle Werribee and Grandma Hoppers Crossing, live. Are quite a few homes at less than $250,000. Where I currently live cheapest 3 bed is £150,000, that one home for sale that is in dire need of update and that's the asking price, no garden, no garage, small bedrooms and footpath on your door step, that's the lowest priced house around here and has been for 6 months, everything else in in excess of £170,000.
Not saying Hoppers or Werribee are heaven on earth, but should be a tad easier to at least get on the housing ladder there (hopefully) and I have a good idea where not to live there and thankfully have family on hand for advice and support.

Or we could go the other way and get a job miles from anywhere and live there, still lots of bargains to be had in more remote places
But everything about moving to a new country is the risks involved, will we have enough money until finding work, will we all settle here etc etc etc
Have to agree on the lower wages OH is a Teacher and it's a drop and a half in wages. Is a concern to us both.

Oh and to other posters who've mentioned backup plan? Not sure what that would be, don't own a home in UK so once out of it someone else will move in. Jobs, OH would find it fairly easy to find work once back in UK, I could go back to where I work now, once a job became available (or at least I'd hope so ) or failing that plenty of work about in my field. My parents would home us for a while, so should be covered just incase.

At the end of the day the whole process of moving to another country is a worry, will we have enough money until we both find work, will everyone settle etc etc. It's all unknown until we 100% agree that we're doing it and suck it and see
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, you said Melbourne, not Werribee That explains it!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, you said Melbourne, not Werribee That explains it!
Did mention Werribee and Hoppers Crossing prior, please keep up lol
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Kat71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Sorry no mates rates, I have monitored prices where my Uncle Werribee and Grandma Hoppers Crossing, live. Are quite a few homes at less than $250,000. Where I currently live cheapest 3 bed is £150,000, that one home for sale that is in dire need of update and that's the asking price, no garden, no garage, small bedrooms and footpath on your door step, that's the lowest priced house around here and has been for 6 months, everything else in in excess of £170,000.
Not saying Hoppers or Werribee are heaven on earth, but should be a tad easier to at least get on the housing ladder there (hopefully) and I have a good idea where not to live there and thankfully have family on hand for advice and support.

Or we could go the other way and get a job miles from anywhere and live there, still lots of bargains to be had in more remote places
But everything about moving to a new country is the risks involved, will we have enough money until finding work, will we all settle here etc etc etc
Have to agree on the lower wages OH is a Teacher and it's a drop and a half in wages. Is a concern to us both.

Oh and to other posters who've mentioned backup plan? Not sure what that would be, don't own a home in UK so once out of it someone else will move in. Jobs, OH would find it fairly easy to find work once back in UK, I could go back to where I work now, once a job became available (or at least I'd hope so ) or failing that plenty of work about in my field. My parents would home us for a while, so should be covered just incase.

At the end of the day the whole process of moving to another country is a worry, will we have enough money until we both find work, will everyone settle etc etc. It's all unknown until we 100% agree that we're doing it and suck it and see
You also qualify for a first home buyers grant of around $7K (i have friends that have just moved out and used this. This gets doubled if you build a house and land package AND you also only pay stamp duty on the land so alot cheaper if that is the way you choose to go.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Ok hun

So here is how I see your hit list

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
Not being able to crack a rude joke for fear of the abundant Mormons/fundamental christians

When the hel has that ever stopped you saying what you mean ?
The serious lack of green (prairies!!!)

Have to agree with this -but the reason for the difference in colour happens to be the amount of rain the UK gets - how many times in the past 10 months hve you used a brolly ??

The fact that you have to have snow shovels and know survival crap (and that's living in a city)

That is very exagerated about survival crap !!!! The roads here in the Bridge are very easily passable and doable - had you lived in Raymond I could understand the commment !

-30+ for weeks

Did you not research the temperature before you decided to emigrate ? Rocky mountains ie skiing ie snow ie minus temps ????

The wind

OK so nothing we can do about this

The lack of real history

As Canada doesnt have the kind of history that you are used to from the UK but it does have it's history I think that maybe the Galt Museum isnt the right place to start to find out about the history of Canada !

The racisim that nobody admits towards the natives here

This "raciscm" which you refer to is nothing like it was 20 years ago - the First Nations people are now integrating into society more and more and I think if you actually spent the time to speak to them and ask them about their spiritual beliefs etc then you yourself would probably not make that kind of comment.

The natives asking me for loose change

In 20 years visiting and 8 months of living here I have NEVER been asked for money off anyone let alone a First Nation person ! And before you retort to that one I even work Downtown and park my vehicle next to Galt Park - so yes I come across them

The idea that education is secondary to hockey - and it's only cool to be a jock

BullS#%t - your problems with Master M's original school was just a poor choice and not knowing enough about the school before he started. My kids are both 80% and above students and could go into Advanced Placements Scheme or the IAB.

The lack of political awareness (I have been sat in classes where young people know less about their own countries politics that I do)

This has something to do with the country having both federal and provincial laws and governement - so no wonder the poor buggers get confused

The lack of travelled people (many of the peeps here have never seen the ocean - I sh it you not chaps!)

Would you drive 20 hours to look at the sea ????

The nightlife (everything is so spread out that you have to walk miles to go to the next bar)

Is that really a valid reason ?

the + 30 heat for 8 weeks

Had you researched temps properley as I said before you would see that last summer (2007) was an extremely hot summer even for this area - it isnt always like that

The lack of rain

See above

The TV

I have to agree about this one - but is it really that peeing off that the telly isnt like watching ITV ?

The red necks

Stop going to Rodeos then hahaha

Tim Hortons (I have gained 5lbs thanks to their coffee lol)

Abstinance is very hard but the only way to keey your figure - that is where I lack

Their serious lack of cheap clothes shops

Please open a Primark over here

The lack of choice of good food at reasonable prices

Never had a problem myself

Their friggin trucks that roar past and wake me up

Must be that you live to near to the main road hun - again research into the areas of town.

The night club at the end of my road

Well I blame Jamie's bro for that one - but
I agree you shouldnt have to deal with that - and somewhere else in town and you wouldnt hear it

Cowboys (who quite literally say hold my beer while I kiss your girlfriend!)
Fake cowboys

You have never been out with me - one of my killer looks and they would nevere have dared

Hunting types who slay stuff for the sheer hell of it

Society my lurve

People who are totally intolerant and ignorant of other cultures

Kettle calling pot ??? It seems that you are looking for things to pick on whilst you yourself dont understand cultures that are around you

Missing my husband/My Children missing their dad

Where ever you live you are going to have to live with Mr M's job and frackly my dear I dont think it is going to get any better whereever you are living
Hun

These things sound hard but I am trying to make you see that these things are the true facts of life.

Love you lots

Gaynor
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you would be getting your grandma's house at mates rates because there are not a lot of $200k homes around at the moment, unless you fancy a tiny little weatherboard out at Cabbage Tree Creek or something. Anything remotely suburban is well over that now. Unfortunately those areas with cheap housing are really not the places that most people (especially migrants) want to live - there is often not the job market out in the sticks that people need in order to pay their mortgage (higher interest rates too). Combine all that with relatively lower wages and there really isnt that much of a difference actually. It is getting nigh on impossible for young Australians to get on the property ladder these days.
I agree with you Quoll, if and I mean if you could buy a house for $2000K in Perth, it would be a Tent!!! 10 years ago we bought our home (it was an older home in woop woop) it cost us $130k and I would not want to have gone lower than that price at that time...we had loads of work to do on it to make it habitable....and by Aus standards was small.......you can buy the same house (it is up for sale) for $495K now, it has again been run down after all our hard work, nothing seems to have been done in the 9 years we sold it......would not touch it with a barge pole but it is a bargain (I don't know where Katz71 is in Aus but there is not a chance you can buy $350 with 3/4 acre in Perth with a home..land where I live is going for $275K with only 275sqm) ......and anything that is lower in price than you have to look at the area......we do have "bad" areas in Aus you know......it's not the remoteness of Perth, we are one of the richest states in Aus and "self sufficient" it is just the cost of living in Aus especially Perth has risen dramatically in the last 5 years.....food shopping for me even when we first arrived was not a great experience, expensive and basic...still the same, just more of the same two Supermakets......
Good luck though...but I would do a lot more research on salaries,homeloans and anything else I could..........if you still decide to come then at least you will not have rose coloured specks on and might be more ready to expect the unexpected.....
All the best
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
I agree with you Quoll, if and I mean if you could buy a house for $2000K in Perth, it would be a Tent!!! 10 years ago we bought our home (it was an older home in woop woop) it cost us $130k and I would not want to have gone lower than that price at that time...we had loads of work to do on it to make it habitable....and by Aus standards was small.......you can buy the same house (it is up for sale) for $495K now, it has again been run down after all our hard work, nothing seems to have been done in the 9 years we sold it......would not touch it with a barge pole but it is a bargain (I don't know where Katz71 is in Aus but there is not a chance you can buy $350 with 3/4 acre in Perth with a home..land where I live is going for $275K with only 275sqm) ......and anything that is lower in price than you have to look at the area......we do have "bad" areas in Aus you know......it's not the remoteness of Perth, we are one of the richest states in Aus and "self sufficient" it is just the cost of living in Aus especially Perth has risen dramatically in the last 5 years.....food shopping for me even when we first arrived was not a great experience, expensive and basic...still the same, just more of the same two Supermakets......
Good luck though...but I would do a lot more research on salaries,homeloans and anything else I could..........if you still decide to come then at least you will not have rose coloured specks on and might be more ready to expect the unexpected.....
All the best
I'm In regional Victoria about 1.5 hours from Melbourne by train and motorway. Average house price here is $250K but i just builty my house for $312K on 3/4 acre and it is 4 bedroom plus study. Plus we have a private school here which is number 5 or so in the state and total cost in year 12 is $8K which you could never do in Perth or Melbourne for that matter. I love the fact that i can hop on plane and be in another state in around 2hours (except perth) which you cant do from perth. It costs too much to go anywhere so unless you have mega bucks you would be pretty isolated from the rest of the country.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The difference here is regional rather than metropolitan suburban. There are some lovely properties out in regional Vic which are about half the cost of a similar one in the suburbs of Melbourne or any other big city for that matter. I am sometimes tempted to head off to east Gippsland, there are some super spots down there. Shame about the lack of work though.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

I am sometimes tempted to head off to east Gippsland, there are some super spots down there. Shame about the lack of work though.
And the flies... don't forget the flies!

We've driven throughout Victoria, NSW and the ACT as well as lots of SE Queensland and although there are some really cool towns when you're driving around it has the feeling of a country made up of lots of little islands. You can drive for ages and there's pretty much nothing... then... totally self-contained little town... then... nothing. Australia's a totally different experience from the UK, that's for sure.

Sarah
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:03 am
Just Joined

The difference here is regional rather than metropolitan suburban. There are some lovely properties out in regional Vic which are about half the cost of a similar one in the suburbs of Melbourne or any other big city for that matter. I am sometimes tempted to head off to east Gippsland, there are some super spots down there. Shame about the lack of work though.
People trying to come over from the UK on their trade are being looked at more favourably if they do come to regional areas because of the lack of skills here. My husband was paid to relocate up here and i know there always looking for tradesman etc.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice
Smile Re: Main reason for moving back?

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi Isleofmanmike......how are you and your family? another thing why we are going back IS...................tonight on t.v NO.....and I mean...NO City v Chelsea game on fox here.........now that is a HUGE reason to be going home....we were so looking forward to it as with the new times zones it would of been an early (ish) kick off........
Hope you all have a good weekend......
Jackie in a rainy,cold (ish) Perth and loving it (the weather not Perth)
Hi Jackie

Watched the MC v Chelsea game live at my local......the score didn't reflect the game and if it wasn't for the own goal I think the result may have been different.

I was in Stockport last week with my son, he was going to a concert in Manchester. I was staying in Great Moor and had a great time.....the train station was five minute walk and a return ticket to manchester for myself and two teanagers was only £4.60. Took about 15 mins.....the was four of us for lunch at weatherspoons and cost us £18.00 and that also included a drink each (two pints of real ale and two cokes)......can't believe the people who call Britain for ripping them off.
How much would you pay in Perth for the same.....I bet a lot more than $40
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

Hi Aussie Bound

I cant see how you expect to buy a house in Aussie without a deposit....if you are using your savings to move there etc. Interest rates are very high and are on the increase. When I first moved to Aussie many years ago it was to the sticks and a hell of a culture shock...you aint go to get much for
$250k in a decent area that would suit most ex pats....Any waqy I hope it all goes well for you but do as much research on the internet as you can before you move especially concerning living costs, taxes, pensions, morgage payments etc
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:56 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

$250,000 is very cheap for Melbourne area - many properties are going for more than twice that price in most other suburbs. It's exactly the same as in UK, the same house will go for vastly different prices, dependent on the area. The house we lived in 40 mins from Melbourne went for $750,000 - it wasn't huge at all and had a postage stamp size garden.

As other posters have said, the cost of living in Australia has risen very sharply over the last few years and wages haven't.

Good luck with your journey though, I truly hope that everything works out well for you
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
Hi Aussie Bound

I cant see how you expect to buy a house in Aussie without a deposit....if you are using your savings to move there etc. Interest rates are very high and are on the increase. When I first moved to Aussie many years ago it was to the sticks and a hell of a culture shock...you aint go to get much for
$250k in a decent area that would suit most ex pats....Any waqy I hope it all goes well for you but do as much research on the internet as you can before you move especially concerning living costs, taxes, pensions, morgage payments etc
I know where I want to live, yes isn't where most people would choose to live and I have seen the houses that are for sale in my price range, as all very close to where my Gran lives
Yes do need to look more into pensions, taxes.
Mortgage payments easy to do online calculators available. Wages know exactly what's in store, way less than UK salaries. But have time to look into everything and see IF we still want to go when we're in a position to apply for the visa. If it's not right at the time we won't bother and will sit around for years saving for a deposit on UK property, but can't say that I want to stay in the UK, I've wanted to go to Aus for 22 years and counting . Is a really BIG risk we'll be taking if we go but least we're not really throwing anything away by going (hopefully)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.