Just how bad is it in the UK??

Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just how bad is it in the UK??

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
No it is not bollocks, you are not here, you don't know. Britain is in crisis, thousands of british workers are losing their jobs every day with little prospect for many of finding another, there are dozens of applicants for every job, if you lose your job and expect to live off your savings then think again, interest rates practically nil on savings. If you are single and have no children then you are expected to live on £64 week job seekers allowance and thats it.

House repossessions are running at record levels, government borrowing is also running at record levels due to massive uncontrolled spending and a spiralling welfare bill, leaving this country with a massive tax burden which will last well beyond our life time. Several European leaders have now openly criticized the running of our economy by the current government, it is that bad.

Tens of thousands of immigrants are pouring into the UK and before you start shouting about racism, they are not here to fill skill shortages, how can they be, there are 1000's of skilled people now unemployed, many immigrants are illegal who our weak government is either unable or unwilling to expel so the good old British Tax Payer funds their living costs and health care. Also many eastern Europeans who can come here legally, they openly admit that they are here for Tax credits, they can even claim for children who aren't even living in the UK.

Many parts of the UK are now a picture of urban decay, so many places rundown, no respect by large members of our communities of their surroundings, each other and their property, the government is now openly bracing itself for a crimewave across the country.

The economy is not expected to show signs of recovery until 2010, by then it will be too late for the estimated tens of thousands of businesses that will close their doors.

If it is so great here then why are you in Canada?

Do not make comment on somewhere you are not.
But those things are happening everywhere, not just the UK.
At least if get sick and still see a doctor if you loose your job, and your dole doesn't only run for so many weeks. You don't seem to realize other countries don't have such a good safety net. Here it's full of holes and drops you very quickly.
I keep return fare money for the whole family saved away (I have done for the last 15 years) not to even be seen, cause if all else fails, we can move in with Mum back in good old UK. We have no one here and the government doesn't give a crap.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:55 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is bearing up at the moment although people are losing jobs, but here's todays news

http://www.optuszoo.com.au/article/n...atest_ndm/1176

The UK's high personal debt levels are what's crippling it at the moment. But it's hard to say if Oz is blindly spending it's way out of the problem too. It usually takes 6 months for what's happening in the UK to start hitting here.
Even so, we're not in recession yet but as Australia relies heavily on mining, it remains to be seen whether their dependance on the property market and investing in building infrastructure to create jobs, lessens the effect of the mining industry being in decline.

Love the upbeat, optimistic approach here though. They really believe they can ride it out and as far as I can tell, most people here are remaining upbeat.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:05 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

No it is not bollocks, you are not here, you don't know. Britain is in crisis, thousands of british workers are losing their jobs every day with little prospect for many of finding another, there are dozens of applicants for every job, if you lose your job and expect to live off your savings then think again, interest rates practically nil on savings. If you are single and have no children then you are expected to live on £64 week job seekers allowance and thats it.

House repossessions are running at record levels, government borrowing is also running at record levels due to massive uncontrolled spending and a spiralling welfare bill, leaving this country with a massive tax burden which will last well beyond our life time. Several European leaders have now openly criticized the running of our economy by the current government, it is that bad.

Tens of thousands of immigrants are pouring into the UK and before you start shouting about racism, they are not here to fill skill shortages, how can they be, there are 1000's of skilled people now unemployed, many immigrants are illegal who our weak government is either unable or unwilling to expel so the good old British Tax Payer funds their living costs and health care. Also many eastern Europeans who can come here legally, they openly admit that they are here for Tax credits, they can even claim for children who aren't even living in the UK.

Many parts of the UK are now a picture of urban decay, so many places rundown, no respect by large members of our communities of their surroundings, each other and their property, the government is now openly bracing itself for a crimewave across the country.

The economy is not expected to show signs of recovery until 2010, by then it will be too late for the estimated tens of thousands of businesses that will close their doors.

I don't disagree with your opinion of the UK. I didn't leave that long ago. I know your county very well.

The points you mention all stem down to external factors of which you cannot influence. Britain is partially in crisis because of the hype. But everywhere is the same. It also depends on what you do for a living.

Don't see doctors panicking about losing there income.

I came to Australia to escape some of the things you mention. However I feel Australia hasn't been as hard hit as UK, but not the only reason I am here.

But as previously mentioned the UK welfare system although seems poorly paid. It won't let you starve.Other welfare systems in other countries are not so good. You have access to medical treatment, slow but you will get it.

However regards to your original comment that instigated the bollox comment UK does have jobs. UK does have prospects. It also has a future.

Economies have fallen before and risen again. Maybe there are no prospects or future for you in your profession. But as someone responded to your comment about the UK. he was right your talking bollox. Your statement was very generalising and as demonstrated above, the UK is not like that for everyone. SOme yes, you maybe, but not everyone.

I mean no disrespect to you poster, but you made a very generalised degrading comment, for which someone took offence, you retaliated with fair comments, but you opinions and views are not based on the whole of the british society only the fraction and world you personally live within.

Last edited by Brisben; Mar 4th 2009 at 1:17 am.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:08 am
AIT
Just Joined

AIT is a jewel in the roughAIT is a jewel in the roughAIT is a jewel in the roughAIT is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by charlie rara
apart from plumbers/carpenters/brickies/decorators/roofers/and everybody else tied into the building trade.
the only people doing any good is footy players ( £150,000 per week )
Not a bad wage.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
Decorators.......where in australia are they in demand. not up the gold coast for sure
we live in jurien bay 3 + hours drive from perth,my husband is a painter/decorator.has a bucket load of work (working for 3 builders) at present with my son.good tradesmen always have work,we had a the business in uk 18 years ago before migrating her.(1992) recession was in full swing.worked up until a few days before we came here(painting/decorating).just need to sell house so we can go, but plenty of work to keep us going for the next 18 months or more.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Candy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bevm
I truly don't think there's going to be that much difference in countries as we all get through this, so running from the UK as a whole to anywhere in Canada or Australia makes no sense.

Yes, it's possible for people to leave rough and/or hard hit areas of the UK and end up in more orderly and economically healthy places in Australia and Canada, but why assume the scale of living conditions is any different?

Some of the factors to do with saving and job skills might travel with a person, putting them in the same place elsewhere. Australia and Canada have their rough places and are suffering the economic downturn, and in some places, feeling it a lot.

So it's more a matter of looking at what's going on exactly where you are, and what it will really be like exactly where you're going. Not the dream vision of a mythic "Canada" or "Australia."

But there are benefits to living in Canada and Australia, and in the UK. It's all in personal circumstances and desires.

Bev
Well said
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:08 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

This news link today states that things are not as bad as they were in previous recessions.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7922551.stm
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:54 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 65 million
Hi all,

Is it really as bad as the on-line papers are saying in the UK? Have house prices really taken a big hit? How long is it taking you to sell?
Been here for four years now. Part of me would like to go back.

Thanks 65KK
Hi Mike.

I left 6 months ago and some things are true. House prices have dropped in the U.K in some areas but that was a slow process which started a couple of years ago. I do think the papers paint a bleak picture and as other posters have said it is just as bad in some ways in Australia.
The tradespeople here in Perth are generally earning less and you only have to look at the job section in The West Australian to know it has slowed.
House prices have also dropped a little here and who knows they may drop more which is my prediction.
The government here have already spent a fortune on a stimulus package with another on the way which many are saying will be a long term disaster.

I guess it depends how well off you are in whatever country you are in. I should have moved to Australia 2 years ago but could not and should have stayed in the U.K given how things have turned out for me here what with the work being slack. Then we can always say, "should have, would have , could have"

Last edited by Funky Monkey; Mar 4th 2009 at 11:06 am.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:38 am
Just Joined

janice1uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I could not have put this better myself! Thanks.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:34 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janice1uk
Remember the postee is referring to Leicester and not somewhere nice.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:51 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone want to return to uk!!!!!!! NO JOBS, NO PROSPECTS, NO FUTURE IN UK. I would leave uk today if i could.
Me. Going next month. No jobs? Rubbish! OH is still here in Sydney and being phoned every single day for jobs. Why? Because not everything and everyone in UK is out of work or about to be. It depends what field of work you are in. Dont make false blankets, untrue statements that I know, even being 12,000 miles away is a load of crap.

No prospects? What do you mean by this?

No future in UK? Well i do!! 6 grandchildren. Great family, OH with a pick of jobs, me possibly going into new training, also starting a small part time business on the side. No, i'm not deluded, not going back with my eyes shut either because i have been back there twice in last 18mths for 6mth stints at a time, most recent just 4mths ago.

Stop talking out of your backside

Oh... and if you think its going to be all rosy when you get down here, think again!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Darnley has a brilliant futureDarnley has a brilliant futureDarnley has a brilliant futureDarnley has a brilliant futureDarnley has a brilliant futureDarnley has a brilliant future

Well here is my experience for what it is worth!

I left the UK in Sept. 06' to live in Perth WA with my wife and two children. I was very fortunate in that my salary was in excess of 100k per year and my O/H was also earning around 50k so financially we were doing very well. Despite this we returned to the UK in Oct. 08 and i can honestly say i have absolutely no regrets about returning home.

I will not "bag" Oz we all have opinions about the health service,wages etc. but i do get frustrated when posters critisise the UK prior to ever visiting Oz. The idea that crime is the preserve of the UK and an alien concept in Oz is as far from the truth as flying pigs.

Good luck to all of you whether in the uk or elsewhere
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

charlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nice

and i totally agree.
im a chippy who had 2 lay his brother off as not enough work and he CANT GET A JOB DOING ANYTHING FROM FACTORY WORK TO DRIVING. some work agencies wont even put you on there books cus your not the right nationality???????????
£64 per week on job seekers allowance to pay mortgage/food/household bills/kids clothes etc etc but have to pay £264 csa, dont figure to me....
losing £40,000 off price of house in 12 months, wages dropped by half per month, bills going up at dramatic rates.
ITS VERY BAD HERE AND GOING TO GET WORSE. END OF STORY:curse:
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

charlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Me. Going next month. No jobs? Rubbish! OH is still here in Sydney and being phoned every single day for jobs. Why? Because not everything and everyone in UK is out of work or about to be. It depends what field of work you are in. Dont make false blankets, untrue statements that I know, even being 12,000 miles away is a load of crap.

No prospects? What do you mean by this?

No future in UK? Well i do!! 6 grandchildren. Great family, OH with a pick of jobs, me possibly going into new training, also starting a small part time business on the side. No, i'm not deluded, not going back with my eyes shut either because i have been back there twice in last 18mths for 6mth stints at a time, most recent just 4mths ago.

Stop talking out of your backside

Oh... and if you think its going to be all rosy when you get down here, think again!
WHAT DO YOU DO AND WHERE DO YOU DO IT ? sorry 4 capitals
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:40 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie rara
and i totally agree.
im a chippy who had 2 lay his brother off as not enough work and he CANT GET A JOB DOING ANYTHING FROM FACTORY WORK TO DRIVING. some work agencies wont even put you on there books cus your not the right nationality???????????
£64 per week on job seekers allowance to pay mortgage/food/household bills/kids clothes etc etc but have to pay £264 csa, dont figure to me....
losing £40,000 off price of house in 12 months, wages dropped by half per month, bills going up at dramatic rates.
ITS VERY BAD HERE AND GOING TO GET WORSE. END OF STORY:curse:
I don't think anyone's disagreeing that the UK is in a bad recession, and it's hitting some areas and some jobs very hard. You know. You live there, and I'm sorry for what you're going through.

What some of us are trying to get across is that it's hitting everywhere. It was on BBC World last night that Australia's posted a decline in GDP for the last quarter, which caused its dollar to drop. And it's expected to get worse. Australia has lots of natural resources, but it has an extreme water problem, plus it's expensive to get its exports to many places. It was doing great with China, but that's drying up.

Parts of Canada have significant problems because of the plummeting oil prices and because its major export market is the US. The forestry industry in BC is in a bad way. All manufacturing in Ontario. House prices falling.

Don't run away from bad stuff until you know for sure it's better where you're going. There's a lot to be said about going through hard times among friends ani family and in a country where you understand the system.

End of story.

Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.