I'm a Brit, get me out of here!

Old Apr 25th 2017, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a Brit, get me out of here!

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I'm just a little bit surprised that the OP hasn't thought outside the two boxes marked 'Canada' and 'Britain'. There are hundreds of nations in the world, dozens of which speak English. And even within Britain and Canada there are hundreds of different places that are different from one another. I lived in Toronto too many years ago for my experience to be relevant, and I chose not to live there when I married***. I also wouldn't live in St John NB or St John's Newfieland or Winnipeg. Or Windsor or Barrie in Ontario. But there are places over in BC I (we) would be happy enough to live - and Montreal, too.
*** Instead, we moved to the Bahamas, where at least the weather was good

In England, I've lived in London and Bath, and enjoyed them. But there are towns I wouldn't live - Sheffield, Bristol, Newcastle. So what I'm trying to say is: Don't choose a country to live in, just a town.
I have lived elsewhere in Canada. Actually, if I had to live anywhere else in Canada, I would choose Winnipeg, to be nearer to family. Unfortunately, my husband's job can't transfer there.
I don't want to live in any English-speaking nation, I want to go home to the UK.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee

Apparently you haven't lived there or contributed in the last 11 years. The sense of entitlement is strong in this one.

You'll be subject to the same Habitual Residence Test as any other immigrant to the UK should you want to access public services, and you'll fail it for the first three months because of your savings and because it's your decision to return to the UK. That you were born in the UK will mean little.

I did contribute many years of my life to the operation of the country (NHS, military). I hardly call a desire to go to my place of birth and upbringing a "sense of entitlement"!

I have no desire to draw from the public purse, but to contribute to it.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Personally I do not think your statement is fair! This is a person reaching out in her time of desperation. TrishP I hope you are feeling better and have made progress. We have not heard much back from you lately.
Thank you, feelbritish. You understand.
I just logged in today as I haven't been on here for a while ... am just wondering why I bothered when I read some of the very unkind remarks attacking me personally, when they do not know me personally. I think I may just leave again.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
well said FB, thinking of you Trish, hope everything works out and that you're back in my neck of the woods soon
Thanks, curleytops. I hope you're doing well and you're all settled into your new place by now.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
Apparently you've been a member of this site for barely a month so unless you've been lurking for some time or using another name, how could you know much at all about the OP's circumstances?

As it happens, the OP and I crossed paths a number of years ago in Canada. In the contact I have had with her, I found her to be a hardworking and dedicated individual to her profession both in the UK and Canada; not to mention being very family-oriented. An "exaggerated sense of entitlement and personal superiority?" You are indeed being unfair and perhaps you may want to reconsider your judgemental attitude.
Thank you, again. You and feelbritish restore my faith in how supportive this site CAN be.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 8:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
Thank you, again. You and feelbritish restore my faith in how supportive this site CAN be.
You can add a +1 to your support group.

I didn't have too many problems in Canada, but I'm sure as hell pleased beyond belief not to live there anymore.

Good luck.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You can add a +1 to your support group.

I didn't have too many problems in Canada, but I'm sure as hell pleased beyond belief not to live there anymore.

Good luck.
Thanks Novo. I don't know how you lasted so many years in Canada, esp coming from the NE! I worked in Hexham many moons ago, such a lovely place.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 8:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Novo. I don't know how you lasted so many years in Canada, esp coming from the NE! I worked in Hexham many moons ago, such a lovely place.
I know, you've mentioned that before.

I "survived" in Canada by having a very well paid job and I stuck with it until retirement age, but no longer.

My SIL/BIL live in Hexham and I envy them in a sense. Although our present situation with homes in Newcastle and Normandy is probably better
Old Apr 25th 2017, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know, you've mentioned that before.

I "survived" in Canada by having a very well paid job and I stuck with it until retirement age, but no longer.

My SIL/BIL live in Hexham and I envy them in a sense. Although our present situation with homes in Newcastle and Normandy is probably better
I ended practising my profession when my son was born ... after 10 years of working in Canada, I was still only earning approx 65% of what I was earning when I left the UK in 2005.
Old May 1st 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
My judgement is based purely on the OP's own posts.
What gave you the idea that you had a right to judge? I don't think that is the purpose of BE. If you have nothing supportive to add to an OP's post, saying nothing is always an option.
Old May 1st 2017, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

There will always be someone, TrishP There's an ignore button.

Hang in there. I am hoping everything will work out for you soon.
Old May 1st 2017, 5:43 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Perth

TrishP's best short term hope (a slim one I admit) is that a Home Secretary (not Theresa May) and a Prime Minster (not Theresa May) stop pretending that immigration to the UK is a bad thing and also stop pretending that a non-working British mother married to a well-heeled Canadian needs to prove she can support her family.
Old May 1st 2017, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP's best short term hope (a slim one I admit) is that a Home Secretary (not Theresa May) and a Prime Minster (not Theresa May) stop pretending that immigration to the UK is a bad thing and also stop pretending that a non-working British mother married to a well-heeled Canadian needs to prove she can support her family.

Indeed. I'm waiting to see how the election plays out - if the witch remains, then my hopes of moving back any time soon are pretty much toast.
Old May 1st 2017, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Perth

Thanks, Perth, for your kind sentiments.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 12:18 am
Down & Safe

Avon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to live in any English-speaking nation, I want to go home to the UK.
Says it all really.
Good luck & keep your spirits up.