Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:26 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Diggler
I don't think so. At least, not when i visited !
You're right, Diggler, there is more land available here if you don't mind a commute. I'll not deny Canada has advantages over Britain, but it goes both ways. Britain has advantages over Canada, which is why people from all over the world love to visit. It's a question of where we want to make our home, and that's an individual decision.

I'd say if someone really loves winter sports, wilderness camping, and -- in some places -- boating, it's much easier and more affordable to do in Canada than in the UK. But those things aren't for everyone, and there are negatives.

Different parts of the country are very, very different. I think it's useful to think about it as like Europe. Not, do I want to live in Canada, but do I want to live in Italy, or Finland, or Portugal, or....

Have you visited Edmonton? I know I sound down on it, and I've only been there once. Looked at the Maritimes? Nova Scotia's lovely, cheaper, and the people are great.

Bev
Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:45 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Germany I would imagine to be similiar, the report I read recently stated that the UK was actually more densely populated than the low countries......
still probably wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density

there have been several attempts recently to try and show that England is just as densely populated as the Netherlands but the ones I saw were comparing estimates of the current population for England and older (2005) population for the Netherlands. So I'm going to stick my neck out and say that no, the UK is still significantly less densely populated than the low countries.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 4:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Atlantic Canada is "in the middle of nowhere"(no disrespect intended) and has a tiny population. It's only normal that there will be less crime. A small town in the UK is much more "connected" to the rest of the country, no thief in their right mind say in Montreal for example is going to think "ohh I'm going to drive 700 miles to Moncton to commit a crime". However a thief in Islington might happily go to St Albans or Croydon to do their mischief.
Partly true.

It's not just less crime though, but fewer crimes per capita. It's a smaller population than other places but the crime rate is disproportionately smaller.

"In the middle of nowhere" is actually a tad disrespectful because it implies a lack of what is normal for normal living and it's not lacking in anything.

Just about everywhere in Canada and many parts of the USA as well could equally be described as the middle of nowhere or also 700 miles for a thief to travel to. Of course, if the paper is anything to go by, much of the crime here is actually committed by people from Halifax and Montreal

Perhaps the population of NB is just a bit more respectful of others?

But none of this is relevant to the point I described earlier, namely that the £, as badly as it's doing, can get a lot more in Atlantic Canada than it can get in an equivalently sized town or city in the UK and not just a nice house.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 4th 2009 at 5:19 am.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:09 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=caledonia;7123975]
Originally Posted by cricket1

how could you have a "victim attitude" when by your own admission you've never been affected by crime? Therefore it stands to reason that you dont have such an attitude. But yet again, another dig at those who do - maybe if you had experienced crime it would change your perception and attitude??

this is getting away from the original point of the thread however. I have moved back to the UK and yes I do regret it. I cant get work (had temporary xmas work sorting mail but thats now over and the building trade has all but disappeared where we are plus tourists low on the ground so the hotels arent taking on), we cant afford to move out of the mother in laws, the weather stinks and the kids are desparate to go back to Oz - maybe we've all just got the wrong attitude, having made the wrong choices along the way? hence i am up all night on this dam computer as i cant sleep for worrying about it all.

so I am going to pull myself up by the bootstraps and start my own business to get us all out of this mire - anyone lend me a spare few grand for start up costs????

You need to start seeing your situation as temporary then find ways to plan your way out of it. A negative or resentful attitude won't motivate you forwards. You don't need a pile of money to start a business. If you've got a computer and a printer you can design your own flyers then walk round delivering them through people's letterboxes. A small ad in the local paper offering your servics is all you need.
If you're in the building industry, you surely must have a whole range of DIY skills available for hire including maintenance and fix it skills.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:49 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
You don't need a lot of money to start up a business, you mention the building trade - get a basic website for a couple of hundred quid, whatever basic tools you need and start knocking on doors and delivering leaflets.

I'm not trying to knock you, many people are not cut out for the originality, effort and drive of entrepeneurship, just like many aren't cut out for being an accountant, a lawyer or running a marathon. Nothing wrong in that.

One thing I would say is that if you have gotten into a negative state of mind, it is very hard work coming back from that position and it inhibits everything you do.

Good luck, hope you get back to Oz if that's what it needs.
You make a good point that I think is missed by a lot of people.

Imagine for a moment that I said, "I ran a marathon in less than 2hrs30min, by training 3 hours every day. If you just had a bit more gumption, you could do it, too. All you have to do is put on some trainers, open the front door and keep on going. Repaet every day for the next six months."

I think most people would say, "Don't be ridiculous, I'm just not capable of running a marathon, never mind doing it in 2rs30min. I'm too old (overweight, unfit, injured, sick, whatever)". And they'd be absolutely correct (I should know, being a sport scientist).

However, it seems to be perfectly reasonable to say the following:

"We moved to Australia and back, just by working hard and saving every penny."

"We had nothing when we came back, and by eating bread and water for three years, buying a run-down house and single-handedly renovating it, we are now millionaires"

"I can move anywhere in the world because I started my own business by simply making the choice and finding a niche market"

... usually followed by, "So if you had some gumption, you could do (could have done) the same"

Flipping heck, when will these people realise We're not all the same?
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:13 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You make a good point that I think is missed by a lot of people.

Imagine for a moment that I said, "I ran a marathon in less than 2hrs30min, by training 3 hours every day. If you just had a bit more gumption, you could do it, too. All you have to do is put on some trainers, open the front door and keep on going. Repaet every day for the next six months."

I think most people would say, "Don't be ridiculous, I'm just not capable of running a marathon, never mind doing it in 2rs30min. I'm too old (overweight, unfit, injured, sick, whatever)". And they'd be absolutely correct (I should know, being a sport scientist).

However, it seems to be perfectly reasonable to say the following:

"We moved to Australia and back, just by working hard and saving every penny."

"We had nothing when we came back, and by eating bread and water for three years, buying a run-down house and single-handedly renovating it, we are now millionaires"

"I can move anywhere in the world because I started my own business by simply making the choice and finding a niche market"

... usually followed by, "So if you had some gumption, you could do (could have done) the same"

Flipping heck, when will these people realise We're not all the same?

Which brings us back to everyone has a choice so they don't need to try to be the same but just stop giving the rest of us earache because we've found our path and done OK.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:40 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Someone from Islington wouldn't go south of the river after midnight

Especially of they were a cab driver

(waits for someone to post about the poor state of UK public transport, or speed cameras or whatever negative whinge is next on the list)
I can see that you are familiar with trying to catch a taxi to go over the river on a Friday or Saturday night.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:42 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
still probably wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density

there have been several attempts recently to try and show that England is just as densely populated as the Netherlands but the ones I saw were comparing estimates of the current population for England and older (2005) population for the Netherlands. So I'm going to stick my neck out and say that no, the UK is still significantly less densely populated than the low countries.
Based on these facts and one that I looked at myself............I`ll concede and agree that both Netherlands and Belgium are more densely populated.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Which brings us back to everyone has a choice so they don't need to try to be the same but just stop giving the rest of us earache because we've found our path and done OK.
Well surely you have the choice to ignore them ...
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on these facts and one that I looked at myself............I`ll concede and agree that both Netherlands and Belgium are more densely populated.
Many parts of Canada are very densely populated. Southern Ontario and Montreal especially. Around one third of the population live in these conurbations so for all intents and purposes they live in areas nearly as heavily populated as the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:19 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Many parts of Canada are very densely populated. Southern Ontario and Montreal especially. Around one third of the population live in these conurbations so for all intents and purposes they live in areas nearly as heavily populated as the UK.
Well I thought rush hour was a nightmare in London but Toronto is equally as bad if not worse. This must be one of the most densely populated areas in North America and also read that the Toronto to Montreal motorway is one of the busiest in the world.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I thought rush hour was a nightmare in London but Toronto is equally as bad if not worse. This must be one of the most densely populated areas in North America and also read that the Toronto to Montreal motorway is one of the busiest in the world.
Traffic in Montreal is bad, although a step behind Toronto. I believe Montreal to Toronto is one of the wrold's busiest air routes.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:12 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

(waits for someone to post about the poor state of UK public transport, or speed cameras or whatever negative whinge is next on the list)

Ha ha ha....the Islington thief should be arrested by the poor taste police for choosing to go to Croydon to nick stuff anyway..lmao...
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:38 pm

london cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud of

oi! I went south of the river a couple of years ago ...what are you talking about!!
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:41 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london cabbie
oi! I went south of the river a couple of years ago ...what are you talking about!!
Hello you!! Where you been hiding

I been sarffff too. more money oooop norf though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.