Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:17 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Diggler
Its like anything else. The cities all have their problems, i can't really comment on all, but Manchester and its suburbs, particularly Salford have some well organised criminals - and because the country is so small and accessible, they are traveling more and more. More and more of the "decent" suburbs are being effected by organised crime.
This is the problem given the relatively small size of the country and with urban areas in close proximity, linked by infrastructure its very easy for them to get around and I imagine hard for the police to monitor.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:22 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Where did I blame anyone? As for selfish smugness, you couldn't be more wrong. I've spent a lifetime helping others by giving them the same motivation and determination to improve their lives. When I explain in my posts about what I have achieved despite my background, I am expressing a view that a persons background should not be either an excuse or a reason for them not to succeed in their lives.

You obviously feel resentful at my comments but likewise I get sick of hearing people whine on about their lives, lack of pay, the UK, their jobs when they CHOSE to do what they do and then they CHOOSE not to change anything, just hold everyone to ransom while they carry on complaining.
I also get fed up of hearing people tell me 'it's alright for me', because I have done OK. I made choices and sacrifices to get where I am and frankly, I don't stand around listening too often to people taking a swipe at me because I'm happy in my situation and they're not just because they don't have the balls to change anything or step outside their comfort zone.
Yes, you may not have an instant choice, but you can make a planned choice to change your life over a certain period of time. If you're miserable, indeed there is no excuse not to.

As for the UK being full of crime, I think if you work as a police officer, social worker or teacher, you are going to live in a reality that most of us won't ever see or deal with. But it is YOUR reality, not mine. I therefore do not believe the UK is any better or worse tha anywhere else as far as crime goes and I won't be living my life in fear of crime or letting crime affect my plans on my return to the UK.
Like you Charlie Chaplin had the money to live in the best areas as well.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRB
Obviously knife crime does go on here in the UK but personally I have never ever seen it at all. It all depends on where you live in the UK. It is also the same as when we lived in Perth. If you avoided the dodgy areas you wouldn't come accross it.
Like I was saying earlier about murder....knife crime affects few people too.
But nasty stuff in general? It's no longer as easily avoidable as it once was by not going to certain places at certain times. What used to be Friday and Saturday nights out on the town is now every night of the week.

Even the taxi queue has been a regular trouble spot in Bristol. The only way to avoid that (since there are few late buses) is by not going into town; it's no longer possible to just avoid certain pubs and clubs. Now they're talking about issuing 'blow-bubbles' in an effort to calm people.

And only the other day in Bristol, a driving instructor had his car attacked and then he was attacked (by kids) after he got out. This in a residential area in broad daylight.

Muggings that only used to happen late and in 'obvious' areas are now all hours of the day between car parks and offices/shops.

I'm speaking of Bristol, but people seem to say the same about many areas.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

As for the UK being full of crime, I think if you work as a police officer, social worker or teacher, you are going to live in a reality that most of us won't ever see or deal with. But it is YOUR reality, not mine. I therefore do not believe the UK is any better or worse tha anywhere else as far as crime goes and I won't be living my life in fear of crime or letting crime affect my plans on my return to the UK.

Its like anything else, most people live in that- "it wont happen to me" world. Time will tell whether or not crime / anti social behaviour will affect your return. I hope it doesnt.

Its not just the crime. Its what has been allowed to happen to the country by the Government/s. The UK are single handedly trying to "save the world", (Gordon Brown even said it in the commons instead of "save the banks" by accident !) - in doing so, we are sinking in a sea of people wanting to take ,take, take - and give nothing in return. I know this goes on everywhere, but not on the scale it does here....

If you are wealthy, (which you may be), then i imagine the UK would still be a great place to live. I can imagine myself living on the outskirts of Keswick, sat in my grounds reading the Guardian with my Dalmatian running about whilst i smoked my pipe overlooking Lake Derwentwater. I could shut myself of from "the real world", and the country could fall apart around me. I wouldn't know and i wouldn't care.

If this is the position you are in. Fair enough. Whatever, good luck.

Regards,

Diggler.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:49 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Its like anything else. The cities all have their problems, i can't really comment on all, but Manchester and its suburbs, particularly Salford have some well organised criminals - and because the country is so small and accessible, they are traveling more and more. More and more of the "decent" suburbs are being effected by organised crime.
now this really makes me want to go home..
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lisag8070
now this really makes me want to go home..

Just don't go back to Manchester !
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:25 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Diggler. If you are so hell bent on going thinking UK is such a sh*t pit, why are you wasting your time hanigng about in the MBTTUK forum?

Please remember that most of your arguements for going to Canada are based on what you THINK you know about it, not from actual experience.
If you truly believe that being a police officer anywhere else is going to be any safer or easier you are seriously deluded. May I also say that police officers are not the only people who have to deal with the dregs of society. My husband works in forensic psychiatry inside a jail here in Sydney. He has 25yrs experince in his job, done it in 5 different countries and will tell you quite categorically, that no matter where you run to it will be same sh*t different bucket.
Go google youth crime Canada and see what you come up with. Do you seriously believe that a country land locked with the USA, which is notorious for youth gang culture, will be totally unaffected by its neighbours and not have the same stupid kids mimicking their neighbours?

As for the UK in general going down the pan. Rubbish!! I have been back there twice in the last 15mths and spent a total of 9mths living there. Where i was living is nothing like you describe.
If you are daft enough to place yourself in a crime hotspot, do a job were all you see is the ugly side of society and cant cope with it, that is your decision, but dont paint the entire nation with a brush seen by heavily tainted eyes like yours because of the job you do and the area you choose to do it in.

Do you seriously believe that in this huge global financial crisis that Canada is going to somehow fair better than the UK? If you do you are deluded.

Last edited by Fleaflyfloflum; Jan 3rd 2009 at 9:29 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:26 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

trust me when I say, I'll stay long enough to see the family and then I'll be moving elsewhere as soon as possible..
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

meols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud of

Its like anything else, most people live in that- "it wont happen to me" world. Time will tell whether or not crime / anti social behaviour will affect your return. I hope it doesnt.

Its not just the crime. Its what has been allowed to happen to the country by the Government/s. The UK are single handedly trying to "save the world", (Gordon Brown even said it in the commons instead of "save the banks" by accident !) - in doing so, we are sinking in a sea of people wanting to take ,take, take - and give nothing in return. I know this goes on everywhere, but not on the scale it does here....

If you are wealthy, (which you may be), then i imagine the UK would still be a great place to live. I can imagine myself living on the outskirts of Keswick, sat in my grounds reading the Guardian with my Dalmatian running about whilst i smoked my pipe overlooking Lake Derwentwater. I could shut myself of from "the real world", and the country could fall apart around me. I wouldn't know and i wouldn't care.

If this is the position you are in. Fair enough. Whatever, good luck.

Regards,

Diggler.
How do you know this 'take, take, take' goes on at a lesser scale than the UK elsewhere in the world.

Regarding your views as a police officer, my brother has recently retired having served 30 years with Merseyside Police. He spent most of that time patrolling some of the rougher areas and estates of Birkenhead, and like yorself has seen and experienced many things that most of us will never encounter.

Now he's unmarried, no kids, mortgage paid off and full police pension, ie in other words a self-funded retiree with the world at his feet, but he has no intention of ever living anywhere else than the Wirral, and despite all his experiences still considers England as a great place to live.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why people have to keep painting this Apocalyptic picture of the UK.

As someone who spends time in both UK and Australia I can't see a lot of difference.

....and as for canada being more crime free......someone is in for a shock.

As for immigrants both Australia and Canada have a higher proportion of immigrants per head of population than the UK

Some people need a reality check

G
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:58 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Grayling
I don't know why people have to keep painting this Apocalyptic picture of the UK.

As someone who spends time in both UK and Australia I can't see a lot of difference.

....and as for canada being more crime free......someone is in for a shock.

As for immigrants both Australia and Canada have a higher proportion of immigrants per head of population than the UK

Some people need a reality check

G
Who mentioned immigrants? Or do you believe that an influx of immigrants escalates crime levels in a country? Both Australia and Canada should have a much higher proportion of immigrants than the UK, given their vast size and their relatively small home based born and bred honkeys. Lets face it immigrants like to breed and both Australia and Canada need more people......Its a marraige made in heaven
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:59 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Diggler, one thing I find sad, and I have this conversation regularly with a friend of mine who is a teacher, you've got your nose so close to the grindstone that you cannot see the bright light that you are providing in a tunnel of darkness. In other words, it's sad that you've spent your life being a police officer but that you've been so affected by it that you're choosing to see all the negatives and dark side, you're choosing not see your own value, worth or merit.
You might not agree but for all you know you could have changed the course of many individuals lives many times over during your career. You chose to work in a field where you would face a harsh reality every day, but did you also not choose to make a difference?
Are you now so negative that you can't see that at some point, no matter how hopeless or up against it you were, you would have had some impact on the thinking of at least some of the criminals you were involved with?

Mother Theresa had a saying which always sticks in my mind. This was that it's never about you and them, it's ALWAYS about you and God. In other words, it's only what you do that should matter even if you can't fix the problem, at least you tried.

I hope you can leave the police force knowing that you will have made a good effort rather than believing you were ineffective and because of this, the UK is about to sink.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:00 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Who mentioned immigrants? Or do you believe that an influx of immigrants escalates crime levels in a country? Both Australia and Canada should have a much higher proportion of immigrants than the UK, given their vast size and their relatively small home based born and bred honkeys. Lets face it immigrants like to breed and both Australia and Canada need more people......Its a marraige made in heaven

Australia isn't daft. It only wants immigrants with skills and money.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Diggler. If you are so hell bent on going thinking UK is such a sh*t pit, why are you wasting your time hanigng about in the MBTTUK forum?

Please remember that most of your arguements for going to Canada are based on what you THINK you know about it, not from actual experience.
If you truly believe that being a police officer anywhere else is going to be any safer or easier you are seriously deluded. May I also say that police officers are not the only people who have to deal with the dregs of society. My husband works in forensic psychiatry inside a jail here in Sydney. He has 25yrs experince in his job, done it in 5 different countries and will tell you quite categorically, that no matter where you run to it will be same sh*t different bucket.
Go google youth crime Canada and see what you come up with. Do you seriously believe that a country land locked with the USA, which is notorious for youth gang culture, will be totally unaffected by its neighbours and not have the same stupid kids mimicking their neighbours?

As for the UK in general going down the pan. Rubbish!! I have been back there twice in the last 15mths and spent a total of 9mths living there. Where i was living is nothing like you describe.
If you are daft enough to place yourself in a crime hotspot, do a job were all you see is the ugly side of society and cant cope with it, that is your decision, but dont paint the entire nation with a brush seen by heavily tainted eyes like yours because of the job you do and the area you choose to do it in.

Do you seriously believe that in this huge global financial crisis that Canada is going to somehow fair better than the UK? If you do you are deluded.

Im not quite sure what your problem is. I tell it like it is, and whether that conversation starts on this thread or another is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. Looking at moving to Canada, i believe i am entitled to read and comment on any thread i so wish.

I do the job i do because i like doing it. You will never - and have never heard me complain about what i deal with in a professional capacity. I dont care when i am at work what crap i deal with or where i deal with it. Work is work. I am not relocating to deal with nicer people for my money. (although i probably will), i am doing it to escape what i believe is a country beyond repair to move to one i believe has a future to expand and thrive, a better environment for my daughter to grow up in. Thats my opinion and i am entitled to it. I have family and friends in Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Spain and France. I am not completely daft nor deluded and i have not made the decision lightly. You don't think i have spoke to people, researched, visited ?

So you spent 9 months here and witnessed no crime or anti social behaviour, and your point is? So i am making it up - I don't think so. England is so small, you are never more than a 30 minute drive from organised criminals who will kick your front door in, threaten your kids with a knife and demand your car keys. And if you think, "that doesnt happen" or "it wont happen to me".....well, doesn't everyone.

Yes i am aware there is crime everywhere, but you don't always have to put yourself directly in its path. And yes, i am well aware thanks that there are other agencies who deal with crap. Whilst we get paid, we cant complain. If he doesn't like it - don't do it, its not difficult.

I assume when you say "rubbish" to England going down the pan, thats your opinion and what you think, rather than based on fact.....So we can have an opinion then ?

Finally, i am not "making arguments" about going to Canada. I have picked up some sound advice on this site and had some decent conversations.

This will be the last with you thanks.

Diggler.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:08 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Australia isn't daft. It only wants immigrants with skills and money.
What people like you but you`re thinking of leaving and deserting the ship!!! This is all very good etc But I think you`ll find, they like Canada probably need low class immigrants as well. They need them to do all the shit shovelling jobs..............Can`t see too many western European immigrants wanting to do that kind of work, some may end up doing it out of desperation rather than through design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.