Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

"The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

"The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

Originally Posted by happyglow
Great post. Let me buy you a pint
I'll accept with pleasure
He was a real gentleman, our Syd, could set yer watch by him too, at the bar 10.07pm each night (took him 6 minutes to walk there from home!), Had the classic RAF mustache too, you know, the long grey, twiddle the ends type?

When he finally passed away, sudden but peaceful, his son flew home from Tasmania and I helped him clear out the house etc. Turned into one of the greatest loves of my life, as i flew out to Tassie several times to spend time with him, and thats really why I finally ended up living in Australia, albeit married (for a while ) to someone else.

My life has revolved around pubs in one shape or form since I was about 15, not the perfect life for a good little vicar's daughter maybe, but hey, I'm still here and most of it has been good and interesting
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:33 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Yeah right! I bet you live in the boonies where those 8 houses cover thirty miles!
Honestly, I am only about eight houses away on the village High St. I managed to stagger home after being pointed in the right direction.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I'll have some pork scratchings, worcestershire sauce crisps and a pint of Old Thumper. I'll have a look at the menu when it's finished too, I'm famished.
Now, there's something I haven't had for ages. Can't get decent ones here.

Hi Polly. I'll have the usual please.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestions for the ultimate fantasy pub menu:

Theakstons "Smooth Dark" ale and a cheese platter

Heaven.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I think as we are all living in different area of the World how about describing your local. I'll go first.

Here in my area in the US they dont really have a Pub they do have bars that I would not go near but we do having something called a bar and Grill. The one closes to us is called Ronaldo's they have a bar that you can eat at they also have small table's around the bar. Then they have another area that has tables for family. Its all divided by walls so nothing like the UK and you dont start up conversations with the folk at the next table... It gets not noisey. But thats about as close as you get here to a pub. Now in Boston and I think Portsmouth its different. Boston would be along drive. I shall have to look into Portsmouth....
Lots of nice pubs in Portsmouth and Boston Trotty. I just got back from Boston and noticed many interesting and old pubs. I had my kids with me though and sadly kids aren't allowed in pub/bars here.
We have lots of brew-type pubs here in Portland but I don't really like them. They tend to have a big Telly blaring sports and attract either rabid sports fans or greasy, studenty types.
Give me a nice cosy wine bar any day over an American bar.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:56 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: "The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

Well it is Sunday and I'm looking forward to that pub meal of a nice roast (with Yorkshire pudding of course!) followed by sticky toffee pudding and lashings of custard

Not sure what to drink (got too used to going for a Sunday brunch in the States where I always had a Bloody Mary lol!).

However, I often don't like the wine selection in pubs so I guess I'll have a drink of their finest local bitter and perhaps an Irish coffee with the pudding

Now....what does our pub look like? There is a very pretty one in the town centre of Shrewsbury:

http://www.bullinnshrewsbury.com/

and also a lovely country pub next to a river on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales:

http://www.nichenosh.co.uk/thebull/

Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I think as we are all living in different area of the World how about describing your local. I'll go first.

Here in my area in the US they dont really have a Pub they do have bars that I would not go near but we do having something called a bar and Grill. The one closes to us is called Ronaldo's they have a bar that you can eat at they also have small table's around the bar. Then they have another area that has tables for family. Its all divided by walls so nothing like the UK and you dont start up conversations with the folk at the next table... It gets not noisey. But thats about as close as you get here to a pub. Now in Boston and I think Portsmouth its different. Boston would be along drive. I shall have to look into Portsmouth....
Ive never been to Portsmouth in New Hampshire, but I was born in Portsmouth, Hampshire, and here I am back in my home town in the U.K. and although I dont go out at night here, (too dangerous) but on my travels around on my free bus pass I notice that all the Pubs I knew as a boy are all still here, same names too, a few have changed there names with new ownership, but to me in most areas I see very little change, there are literally hundreds of pubs in Pompey, I suppose it stems from being a very old naval town,
If you go a few miles out into the country villages you will find lots of larger and older pub restaurants, some date back to the 12th century and earlier, but the food in those places are very expensive, last year Me,Mum,Nephew&girlfriend went to a 14th century pub for an afternoon dinner,
the cost for 4 people, dinner and one drink each £110
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jasper123
Ive never been to Portsmouth in New Hampshire, but I was born in Portsmouth, Hampshire, and here I am back in my home town in the U.K. and although I dont go out at night here, (too dangerous) but on my travels around on my free bus pass I notice that all the Pubs I knew as a boy are all still here, same names too, a few have changed there names with new ownership, but to me in most areas I see very little change, there are literally hundreds of pubs in Pompey, I suppose it stems from being a very old naval town,
If you go a few miles out into the country villages you will find lots of larger and older pub restaurants, some date back to the 12th century and earlier, but the food in those places are very expensive, last year Me,Mum,Nephew&girlfriend went to a 14th century pub for an afternoon dinner,
the cost for 4 people, dinner and one drink each £110
Good god Rod, last of the big spenders
Went out a couple of nights ago, two meals, +drinks = £14 -50.
My two pints of Carlsberg lager cost under 4 quid.

They were veggie meals, but how much would they cost in the Bull?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 12:19 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Now, there's something I haven't had for ages. Can't get decent ones here.

Hi Polly. I'll have the usual please.
Good to see you in here

Originally Posted by happyglow
My suggestions for the ultimate fantasy pub menu:

Theakstons "Smooth Dark" ale and a cheese platter

Heaven.

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Lots of nice pubs in Portsmouth and Boston Trotty. I just got back from Boston and noticed many interesting and old pubs. I had my kids with me though and sadly kids aren't allowed in pub/bars here.
We have lots of brew-type pubs here in Portland but I don't really like them. They tend to have a big Telly blaring sports and attract either rabid sports fans or greasy, studenty types.
Give me a nice cosy wine bar any day over an American bar.
I must admit to loving the whole football + beer experience in English pubs, but at the same time its nice if they also have a peaceful corner to get away from it all and just have a chat - coming from a family that really doesn't understand football I can see both sides. Imagine my delight that my 17 year old niece has discovered football in the last two years s/op at least I now have ONE kindred spirit!!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 12:27 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well it is Sunday and I'm looking forward to that pub meal of a nice roast (with Yorkshire pudding of course!) followed by sticky toffee pudding and lashings of custard

Not sure what to drink (got too used to going for a Sunday brunch in the States where I always had a Bloody Mary lol!).

However, I often don't like the wine selection in pubs so I guess I'll have a drink of their finest local bitter and perhaps an Irish coffee with the pudding

Now....what does our pub look like? There is a very pretty one in the town centre of Shrewsbury:

and also a lovely country pub next to a river on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales:

Two months till I'm back home and have the delights of a real roast donner to enjoy!
So many beautiful pubs around its hard to choose, isn't it. When I was a kiddie my dad came up with this game to stop my reading on long journeys - I was a real bookworm but reading in the car made my travelsick. So he said I should start collecting pub names= I ended up with a collection of over 12000, nationwide, all ones we had driven past or walked past. And there were loads of maps showing their locations, and books with the histories of the names - fascinating hobby

One of my all time favourites to visit is the Black Rabbit at Arundel in Sussex, my ex and I used to go out there on the motorbike on Sundays.
Attached Thumbnails "The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub-index.jpg   "The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub-index2.jpg  
Old Feb 24th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Beautiful - both of them! Love the beer garden in the first one
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things we really miss are the pubs! We have one nearby, 20 min walk which on the outside is made to look like a tudor pub, but once inside is just your normal Canadian pub with Keeno playing and dirty tables and sullen waitresses! Not that all Canadian pubs are like that but we keep out of them, mainly for the under 30's and the price of drinks here, well it will bankrupt you too! They used to however have a good off-licence and we would rather pick up a bottle of wine and go home and sit in our garden with our glasses. That has since been shut, only pub now, and hopefully our livers will recover! I am looking forward to Sunday rambles stopping for lunch at the pub with our friends when we eventually return
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana... Are you going back for good. A real roast dinner just makes my mouth water. I would love a real trifle afterwards you know the one with Sherry included.

Do you think we could have a Pub Quiz one of these days that would be fun I dont know how we would do it but it would be fun.

Syd sounded like a really nice chap one of the old school type. Not many of those around now. May he be having a wonderful rest.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:05 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana... Are you going back for good. A real roast dinner just makes my mouth water. I would love a real trifle afterwards you know the one with Sherry included.

Do you think we could have a Pub Quiz one of these days that would be fun I dont know how we would do it but it would be fun.

Syd sounded like a really nice chap one of the old school type. Not many of those around now. May he be having a wonderful rest.
No, just back on holiday, hopefully a week with my best mate in London, catch up with other friends, then get spoiled rotten by the family in Bristol for 3 weeks! Its those trips home that keep me sane....and there will be several roast dinners consumed and pubs entered while I'm there
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Have a wonderful holiday eat all you can and stuff your suitcases with anything you can bring back. Would you ever think of going back to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.