Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

"The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

"The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

OK no rowdiness from you drunk lot. (I'm eying you Lorna)
If you go in the lounge someone was organizing a quiz. So hurry up.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:00 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
OK no rowdiness from you drunk lot. (I'm eying you Lorna)
If you go in the lounge someone was organizing a quiz. So hurry up.
I have had one too many martinis. Can you drive me home, It's not a long drive, just about 8 eight houses from the pub? I might even be able to come up with some petrol money.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I have had one too many martinis. Can you drive me home, It's not a long drive, just about 8 eight houses from the pub? I might even be able to come up with some petrol money.
Yeah right! I bet you live in the boonies where those 8 houses cover thirty miles!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

OK... I'm spittin feathers who's buying me a snowball I also want a nice basket of fish and chips. Remember what we would talk about in the pub course back in the day it would be hard to see through the smoke. Who's the barmaid tonight. Pollyana..... or is it Cheers. Don nice to see you in here, wonder were Rodney is....

Have to go make dinner but will be back for the drink leave it on the table keep the fish and chips hot for me....
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I think as we are all living in different area of the World how about describing your local. I'll go first.

Here in my area in the US they dont really have a Pub they do have bars that I would not go near but we do having something called a bar and Grill. The one closes to us is called Ronaldo's they have a bar that you can eat at they also have small table's around the bar. Then they have another area that has tables for family. Its all divided by walls so nothing like the UK and you dont start up conversations with the folk at the next table... It gets not noisey. But thats about as close as you get here to a pub. Now in Boston and I think Portsmouth its different. Boston would be along drive. I shall have to look into Portsmouth....
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I'm parked 10 houses down.

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Yeah right! I bet you live in the boonies where those 8 houses cover thirty miles!
You are probably right, it's a house every mile or so in her direction.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I think as we are all living in different area of the World how about describing your local. I'll go first.

Here in my area in the US they dont really have a Pub they do have bars that I would not go near but we do having something called a bar and Grill. The one closes to us is called Ronaldo's they have a bar that you can eat at they also have small table's around the bar. Then they have another area that has tables for family. Its all divided by walls so nothing like the UK and you dont start up conversations with the folk at the next table... It gets not noisey. But thats about as close as you get here to a pub. Now in Boston and I think Portsmouth its different. Boston would be along drive. I shall have to look into Portsmouth....
All we have are those dark dingy bars that I would be afraid to walk inside.
No bar restaurants for about 45 minute drive in any direction.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of themed British pubs with awful British mementoes all over the walls, just like we DON'T have at home

PS Listened to a podcast of The Archers at the weekend, first time in about 25 years. Picked it up aagain quite easily
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Those same times of bars exists here where I am in the US, too. What I have found is these places cater more to the young people (mostly under 30) whereas the British pubs cater to everyone from my experience.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I'm in the mood for a nice martini. Gin, with a twist, on the rocks. Is that available here or do I have to go to the lounge for a "posh" drink. Oh, and hold the caviar, I'll have a packet of dry roasted nuts.
How sophisticated am I?[/
Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Just pretending to be ..............
Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Jesus Mary and Joseph, I fecked up those quotes. No more Baileys for me.

Fived (and I've had a bottle of wine!)

OK... I'm spittin feathers who's buying me a snowball I also want a nice basket of fish and chips. Remember what we would talk about in the pub course back in the day it would be hard to see through the smoke. Who's the barmaid tonight. Pollyana..... or is it Cheers. Don nice to see you in here, wonder were Rodney is....

Have to go make dinner but will be back for the drink leave it on the table keep the fish and chips hot for me....
Anyone can act as barperson, just collect the money and leave it in the jar So trusting, us Expats aren't we
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:56 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Those same times of bars exists here where I am in the US, too. What I have found is these places cater more to the young people (mostly under 30) whereas the British pubs cater to everyone from my experience.
My local ...... well the nearest pub is 14 minutes walk, (next nearest is 35)...... no real character at all. When I first went there it was dark and dingy and not much fun. Then it was done up, a lot lighter, good music on the video wall....oh, Bernieboy and i spent so many hours in there talking and tapping our feet and him singing to music from the 70s, 80s, 80s........good days, probably some of the best of my life.
Then they started a huge roadworks and bus tunnel project nearby so all the roadworkers would come in after their shifts....tunnel rats we called them. Bernie had gone back to London, and i used to drink there with my flirty friend who would chat them all up over numerous bourbon and cokes. I would sup my pints and watch with a grin knowing she'd go home on her own and they would be gutted The music was gone and it was more rowdy.

Roadworks over they tried to atrract students with dodgy film nights "Revenge of the Killer Gherkin", that kind of film, bad pub quizzes with rules so complex that after three pints you couldn't understand them, and family meal deals - in an area with few young families.
So after a yearof that we are now nack to the old regular blokes looking for a win on the horses and a few beers while getting the shopping for the wife, and a few odd characters like me, pint on the way to work, and sit posting on BE on the iphone and watching the world go by....

Oh for the locals back home.....first name terms with the bar staff and a pint on the bar before I got the door open, usually paid for by my dear old mate Syd. Ex WW2 RAF pilot, he would never let me buy a pint "Oooh no little miss, not right for the ladies to buy the drinks", we spent hours drinking together and putting the world to rights - and he knew my heroine Amy Johnson, and flew with her once
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Anyone can act as barperson, just collect the money and leave it in the jar So trusting, us Expats aren't we
They have to get their hair done in a beehive and wear big earrings though.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:42 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They have to get their hair done in a beehive and wear big earrings though.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Oh for the locals back home.....first name terms with the bar staff and a pint on the bar before I got the door open, usually paid for by my dear old mate Syd. Ex WW2 RAF pilot, he would never let me buy a pint "Oooh no little miss, not right for the ladies to buy the drinks", we spent hours drinking together and putting the world to rights - and he knew my heroine Amy Johnson, and flew with her once
Great post. Let me buy you a pint
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:03 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Nice. Alcohol on the honor system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.