Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

"The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

"The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

Old Mar 7th 2013, 3:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

Originally Posted by trottytrue
You know there really is nothing quite like a British Pub no matter where you travel in the world they just cannot get it right. Perhaps it the people in the Pub 'the Local" nothing to compare. You see all people who live around you its like one big family get together. I am sure in the bigger Towns and Cities its not like that but the smaller places do seem to keep it going.

Having said that I would like my regular snowball with a cheese and onion pasty........
Mmm cheese and Onion pasty, sounds lovely. Last time I saw a snowball was in the 70's what are they.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:49 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: "The Bull" - the UK forum's very own, very British, pub

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

Last time I saw a snowball was in the 70's what are they.
I'm pretty sure it's Advocaat (that yellow egg-nog type of stuff, I think it has a small amount of liqueur in it) mixed with lemonade (the clear type of lemonade). It is quite sweet to taste and froths up a bit in the glass. I used to drink it sometimes when I was starting to go to pubs in my teenage years, especially if I was on a date lol!...

......and I can't believe I also used to sometimes drink Babycham or Cherry B. I thought I was so sophisticated....
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm pretty sure it's Advocaat (that yellow egg-nog type of stuff, I think it has a small amount of liqueur in it) mixed with lemonade (the clear type of lemonade). It is quite sweet to taste and froths up a bit in the glass. I used to drink it sometimes when I was starting to go to pubs in my teenage years, especially if I was on a date lol!...

......and I can't believe I also used to sometimes drink Babycham or Cherry B. I thought I was so sophisticated....
Those are the other drinks my Aunt used to have at Christmas in the 70's
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:42 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Eggnogg ???
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Eggnogg ???
Egg Flip = also known as Advocaat.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

My Aunt got drunk one Christmas on Cherry B, she thought it was non alcoholic, and downed several. She soon found out her mistake..
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

for anyone?
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Advocaat vodka and lemonaide thats what I like. With a cherry on top.....:I once got really sick drinking Cherry B and Bulmers Cider mixed together. Two was enough and I was up all night. Never again. How about Perno and lemonaide......
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Advocaat vodka and lemonaide thats what I like. With a cherry on top.....:I once got really sick drinking Cherry B and Bulmers Cider mixed together. Two was enough and I was up all night. Never again. How about Perno and lemonaide......
One of these?

Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Now that looks really good I think I'll have two......
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Water bright is my delight !" I will have a Perrier, lemon and ice.

And watch all you drunks falling about. What fun !
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

A Scotsman, Irishman, Englishman, Welshman and a dog walk into The Bull and the barman asks "is this some kind of joke?"

On a more serious note, I'll have to reduce my visits to The Bull. With the price of beer increasing merely due to tax increases annually at 2% above inflation (termed the beer escalator) (about 1/3rd of the price of your beer is tax) my pension is not stretching as far as it used to.
Answer is to buy cheap booze in the supermarket and sit at home staring at telly instead of being social and telling jokes down the pub, especially as the government has retracted on plans to implement minimum prices on supermarket alcohol.
So the government is encouraging home boozing and as I see it this is destroying traditions of life in UK. Maybe they think if we sit in isolation at home stewed on cheap booze then we will be less likely to join with others at the pub (if it hasn't become a Tesco or a executive cottage named "The old Bull") to discuss government policy.
There are campaigns to lobby MP's to stop the Beer Escalator. One such can be found at http://www.wychwood.co.uk/#/mischief//bpny
Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mikelincs
My Aunt got drunk one Christmas on Cherry B, she thought it was non alcoholic, and downed several. She soon found out her mistake..
My husband's aunt , who was in her late 70's got rather too enlivened at our wedding and 'icked up her dentures down the loo. Was a right palaver getting them back. She wanted husband to do it as he's a plumber

Mine's a bucket of Merlot please for laters. I'll bring me own straw.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:43 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have a pint of Guinness and a packet of plain crisps please.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:47 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Considering the day I've just had.... <<<< pulling up a chair
Hey bartender?? Pour me a pint of Fosters and a chip butty please !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.