Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Emmigration from RSA to UK

Emmigration from RSA to UK

Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Emmigration from RSA to UK

A sad story and we're holding thumbs !
Best of Luck until October , or soonest thereafter !
Old Jul 29th 2011, 11:05 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allyc123
Hi Rozelle, well they did get back to me - sent me a short email saying that I did not meet the tier criteria so they could not help me - short and sweet. Said that if I got a work permit then it would be different. So I am now very, very unhappy about this as it's not just a matter of 'wanting' to be there - it's a matter of survival for me and my kids as we have absolutely nothing here and the opportunity has presented itself and I CAN and WOULD make a difference as I possess skills (of which Overseas don't see) and I am most capable of hard work. I am currently in Human Resources and have worked in factories, hotels, resorts, marketing covering everything from Gaming to IT to Public Relations to Legal to Engineering, etc. However, doesn't appear they will even consider.

An emmigration attorney contacted me and has already spoken with the Home Office there as well as the Home Affairs here and, apparently, I do have a chance to get there as my mother is becoming a UK Citizen in October (officially) - so we will just hold thumbs and pray to God. I need her and she needs me - she's at home alone during the day and suffers angina and is so at peace to just think of the fact that I may be joining her shortly where she doesn't have to be afraid of something happening to her when she is alone while my stepdad is working.

Anyway, will keep you posted and can only but pray. Let it not seem like me getting my hopes up - but more that there HAS to be a way - I have a lot to offer to the UK - I don't intend going over to try and make use of their well-being by lazing around and trying to milk the country - I will be making a contribution and in turn my children will have a better life completely.

Pray, pray to dear God!
As I think I already said, I have a friend who's mother is trying to get over to the UK, but is having great difficulties. She is self sufficient, and is also a artist of some repute. But she cant get in yet ... she has tried all ways, and comes up against a brick wall
Old Jul 29th 2011, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Mitzy , what exactly is a problem with the lady ?
I used to know so many Saffers in London , Wimledon and Earl's Court were teeming with them , they even opened biltong-boerewoers and similar S.A-themed shops and Nando's and what else not ;
and there's good number here in Belgium and the Netherlands , since Afrikaans is similar to Dutch ; after 3-4 years , many obtained citizenship , and all that comes with it .
Old Jul 29th 2011, 11:45 am
Just Joined

allyc123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all, did more scratching around - my mom just phoned me from the UK – we were speaking and she mentioned she has a british passport (that has expired) – she was born in 1951 in Rhodesia when it was under the brits regime – it further states on the british passport that she is a british subject. Looked up on the web and it says all children born of a british subject prior to 1983 (I was born in 1970) can claim british subject eligibility through a natural parent who is a british subject – does this mean I have found the light – beside her being anointed in October that is. It sounds like I will be eligible AFTER ALL and WITHOUT hassle to enter as a british subject of a british subject mom and/or ancestry visa????? 
Old Jul 29th 2011, 11:55 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
Mitzy , what exactly is a problem with the lady ?
I used to know so many Saffers in London , Wimledon and Earl's Court were teeming with them , they even opened biltong-boerewoers and similar S.A-themed shops and Nando's and what else not ;
and there's good number here in Belgium and the Netherlands , since Afrikaans is similar to Dutch ; after 3-4 years , many obtained citizenship , and all that comes with it .
Theres no problem with the lady. Her daughter lives here, and the rest of her family are moving here from other countries. She has no family in SA. She doesnt feel safe and wants to join her family

However she has money, and a house that has sold. So she isn't a dependant of her UK family, which for some reason complicates matters. She is an artist, and there is a way of doing it through that, but long and complicated.

Originally Posted by allyc123
Hello all, did more scratching around - my mom just phoned me from the UK – we were speaking and she mentioned she has a british passport (that has expired) – she was born in 1951 in Rhodesia when it was under the brits regime – it further states on the british passport that she is a british subject. Looked up on the web and it says all children born of a british subject prior to 1983 (I was born in 1970) can claim british subject eligibility through a natural parent who is a british subject – does this mean I have found the light – beside her being anointed in October that is. It sounds like I will be eligible AFTER ALL and WITHOUT hassle to enter as a british subject of a british subject mom and/or ancestry visa????? 
Well, lets hope that works. I'd contact the UK Embassy if I were you and check on it

You didnt know that your Mom was a UK citizen?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

But since when would it not be just automatic in the U.K. , that close family members ( like mothers and children ) can be re-joined and get granted the usual rights and papers ?
I know for sure : no such hassle , in Canada , States or Oz , probably not in the most of the EU either ( depending on the country , but I know well of such cases in Germany and Belgium , easy , even with the paperwork involved ) .
I arrived in Britain from RSA in 1990 , married to a Brit ( of Zimbabwe origins and with Johannesburg history ) on some visa , or another ; never had a moment of difficulty with the paperwork ( except for the Croydon office waiting times ) and then got citizenship in due course , with no questions asked , a few years down the road .
So , I remain a bit perplexed , as to what the difficulties may be nowadays ( when half the Asian sub-continent has already moved there , anyway ) .
Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:48 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Ray51
But since when would it not be just automatic in the U.K. , that close family members ( like mothers and children ) can be re-joined and get granted the usual rights and papers ?
I know for sure : no such hassle , in Canada , States or Oz , probably not in the most of the EU either ( depending on the country , but I know well of such cases in Germany and Belgium , easy , even with the paperwork involved ) .
I arrived in Britain from RSA in 1990 , married to a Brit ( of Zimbabwe origins and with Johannesburg history ) on some visa , or another ; never had a moment of difficulty with the paperwork ( except for the Croydon office waiting times ) and then got citizenship in due course , with no questions asked , a few years down the road .
So , I remain a bit perplexed , as to what the difficulties may be nowadays ( when half the Asian sub-continent has already moved there , anyway ) .
Since when, I dont know, but it IS the case at the moment. There is not automatic entry for her, just because her family is here

Were she to get to Calais and then jump in the back of a 12 mtr trailer then she would probably have more luck
Old Jul 29th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I take your ( valued ) word for it , much as I remain thoroughly dumbfounded !
BTW , I also know of cases who arrived on a tourist visa , stayed over the time limit , got some help ( don't ask me the details of what and how ) and then they remained in the U.K. for as many years as they pleased .
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Ray, your info is way out of date. Damn difficult now a days. Especially since immigration has become a mayor political/ re ellection sticky point in most Western countries.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can't argue , since you all probably know better ;
but I do know at least 4 genuine Saffers who spent 3-4 recent years in greater Bruxelles and are now Belgian/EU citizens ( I knew any number of such cases in the U.K./ London and country-wide , when I was still interested ) .
Does the U.K. problem lie with wellfare issues , or is there some other complication ? ( Maybe some sort of a guarantee , from the family ? )

BTW , just spent half-a-morning today at my local Brit-consulate here , having certain documentation verified and certified ; I'm pleased to report that they were very friendly , helpful , obliging and efficient , even though the event ended up costing me 65 Eurobuxxxx .
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Cairns1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Really????

The people I know from SA say they are glad to be out of it, and dont wish to return. I know of two SA citizens that are desperately trying to leave, one one that made it but still cant stop herself sitting in coffee bars with her back to the wall so she can be "on guard"

As for the downer on the UK, when all is said and done its a lovely country. It has it's problems, but then all countries have their own problems and challenges. It's in recession you say ..... well, compare that to outher EU countries, please do. Sitting here in Spain I see the 20% unemployment and "the crisis", but people here dont seem to be in desperate straits.

So .... I have an small insiders view of SA v UK I guess .... not saying that is going to be a significant help, but I dont think the UK is as bad as you say, and the Germans around here tell me that Germany is not looking too ghood at the moment either
Have to agree. I'm in SA getting all my papers ready to emmigrate. Been broken into 4 times in the last year, husband has been mugged twice right outside work at knife point. Last time they broke in I found the guy in my kitchen. I can really relate... I'm tired of being scared all the time. I went to visit my mom in the UK in July and it was amazing the relief of not feeling like anyone is going to physically hurt you. Such a relief when it's not there.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Let me tell you :
on my last few visits , and I stayed with friends and family , the alarms and the armed response and everyone being so freaked-out about security details , all that drove me bonkers !
O.K. Jo'burg really was very much worse in such respects than Cape Town , but still , to have to listen to well-meant advice re : what to do if a brick hits your windscreen and how not to get in trouble with suspicious people approaching you , with all sorts of propositions...
The people I know in RSA are all very well off , but the trade-offs are such that maybe one prefers to be worse off and to enjoy some peace and a more civilised lifestyle , elsewhere ?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Cairns1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess time will tell. I'm not sure what the work prospects are really like in the UK... there seem to be jobs on the internet, it's just getting them that's the key. When I went I really found most things a lot cheaper than here in SA. It's a big risk moving into the unknown, but in the long run I believe that if we can make it, life will be much better. My kids will get a decent education and my son will have a fair chance at a career one day. He won't be sidelined because he's the "wrong colour" and doesn't fit BEE requirements.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cairns1
When I went I really found most things a lot cheaper than here in SA. .
I am surprised you mention this ; everytime I went to S.A. in the last 20 years , from England and from elsewhere , I would observe and mention this , all the locals thought I must be mad .
The property costs in U.K. and some other parts of EU are an issue , but Cape Town is so just so expensive now , one can live in Surrey or Sussex and save on "armed response" .
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Pacentro is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Emmigration from RSA to UK

Hi

I have read all the threads and wanted to give you my view. My family and I have been here for 8 years. We now live in NI when it rains all the time! But we love it. London is incredibly expensive but as everyone has mentioned you don't have to live there. If you want to move here then go for it and check every angle. It will be hard for the kids and schools are tough (but at least they are free!)

Everyone will complain about the NHS - I have found them to be very slow but I don't what I would do if I had to pay for all my kids medications.

One thing to remember when you come over - it is a huge change and the first 3 months are the worst. You will get "homesick" especially when everyone is having a "lekker" time in the summer and you have had 3 weeks of grey skies and rain! But stick it out.

Here is the link for the UK Border Agency - get your mom to call them. They were helpful with us when we got our citizenship. Also they do change the laws and sometimes things take longer but persevere.

Good Luck!

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.