British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Rest of the World (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/)
-   -   Emmigration from RSA to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/emmigration-rsa-uk-726367/)

allyc123 Jul 26th 2011 9:42 am

Emmigration from RSA to UK

Good morning, I am wishing to emmigrate to the Uk to live with my mom and stepdad - I will be going with my 3 children. I am wanting to know what your services charge re; family visa with intention to work and obtain a working visa, flights, etc.
My mom and stepdad (british born) have been living in the UK for about 7 years now and my mom has finally written the exam and is being annointed to get british citizenship in October 2011. I would appreciate any assitance and help you can offer as I really do not have a lot of money to spend at this current time so have to weigh up all my options and see what the best package is so that an emmigration expert can handle all the necessary details.
Kind regards,
Alicia :(
My children are 6 yr, 7 yr and 16 (turning 17 this August 2011).

My stepdad did not adopt me but I have requested sole guardianship as their father’s are missing in action. The Senior Family Advocate has apparently approved this and it just needs to be stamped and signed off by the Judge of the Chamberbook High Court. I requested the right to choose my stepdad as their legal guardian as children should have two guardians and you need two signatures on their passports. My mother is their blood grandmother and my blood mother – she gets dual citizenship of which she is anointed in October 2011. They have been together since 2000 and are married now about 7 years. They both live in the UK and have written on my application to SA Family Advocate and High Court that they will afford us and look after us but I DEFINITELY wish to work as my plan is to build a new life for me and my children. But until such time they have confirmed that we will be ‘looked after’ by them – financially, in their home, etc.

Hence, my mom, stepdad, niece, nephew, cousins, aunties, etc all stay in Europe (UK and Germany) and my family often visit their from SA (grandmother, aunties, etc). They don’t have any family that we mix with here in SA hence this is the best I can do for them – we are very lonely so my mom and I started talking about it about 1.5 years ago and now I just want the guardianship finalized and then will be going over as a single mom with her three minors. To start a new life. My mom was born in the then known Rhodesia when it was under the British colony but I don’t think that counts. Anyway, she has now passed the test and is being anointed in October to officially receive her British passport (dual citizenship).

I have a cv if you wish to see it. I also have all the affadavits of people who wrote about me wishing to emigrate and the reasons and what they know of my current circumstances.

Ray51 Jul 26th 2011 10:25 am

Re: Emmigration from RSA to UK

Don't do it ;
I know too many people who have left RSA and have been regretting it , for years ;
with all of South Africa's obvious problems , still many would dearly love to be able to return - but , with changes to medical insurance covers and all else that's been going on in their absence , can't afford to now .
Maybe just visit the U.K. , have a really good and objective look at that hard life and what it costs and re-think the issues ?

allyc123 Jul 26th 2011 10:36 am

Hi Ray, I've lost everything here in SA - house burned down, cannot get a decent paying job, cannot find the father to pay me maintenance and I can barely support myself with the three children. I love my mom and stepdad and as I don't see family here in SA we are very much alone so it's a wonderful opportunity for their education, family support and lots of aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. We are very lonely here and my mom have a wonderful double storey house and is wishing for us to come over as she, too is lonely when my stepdad works. We want to be together and my children are SO looking forward to it. I really need this - we have absolutely NO life here. It's an opportunity for all of us. We've been through so much in the last 4 years and now the opportunity has become available and I need to seize it - my children have nothing here at all. hence I am asking for all and any help and guidance and support I can get. You would never know exactly what our lives have been like. I know it's very different and cold and need to adapt but my mom is there and stepdad - we have family there but it just now seems SO very difficult to be with them.:(

Ray51 Jul 26th 2011 11:03 am

From what you say , maybe you have serious and valid reasons ;
things can go right or wrong for anyone of us and often ( contrary what some are preaching ) it does not have to be our fault , nor in our control !
The weather is only a little insignificant factor , when living in Europe ( although most South Africans usually make a big thing of it - oddly enough , they don't complain in Canada , where it gets much colder ! so , it's gotta be some other reason/s ? ) ;
there are other , much more major considerations , the U.K. is in severe recession and likely to remain so , high unemplyment , will you get a job ? the cost of living there is horrendous and so are the fines , if ever you put a foot wrong ; how are you with languages ? if your Afrikaans is fluent , then basic German should not be too difficult .
Between the 2 countries you mention , Germany I'd choose , any day of the year .
Good Luck , ( feel free to ask - if I can help , I will try ) ,
Totsiens and Ales van die Beste ,
R.

allyc123 Jul 26th 2011 11:28 am

Hi Ray, I believe I can get any job (even if I must work in a factory) and my mom and stepdad will take me to work and back if it's night shift, however, they have made it very evident that I, in now ways, should be in a rush to find a job because they can and want to give us this opportunity and my stepdad is in engineering and my mom also works so they are very financially able to look after us. In fact she's already preparing our bedrooms and the house is double story and she's planning trips for us when we get there - they are so excited. In fact, she is very lonely when she gets home from work as my stepdad also works and she wants me there. She is on medication to keep angina/thyroid chest pains away and she gets scared when alone - although believe me she is as strong as an ox but we need each other and my children need a family - it's imperative for young children. My 7 year old even drew a Father's day card for my stepdad and said 'you know i don't have a dad, well this is for my grampa because he can be my dad'. It's so sad and I can only pray to God that in December we will be sitting at their table.

Also, I actually WANT to work - been working since in school and I cannot go without working - I have a passion to work and love working - it's my independance and my objective is to go there and work and save up to get my children a life and home that they deserve - after everything we've lost. But now it's seeming to be very negative in how and when I could get there. Hahaha, my mom even said 'push it so that you can come to my annointment' but that's in October so won't even push my chidlren and I that way - too soon and lots to do but Xmas would be my dream to God. :)

Ray51 Jul 26th 2011 12:09 pm

Very interesting !
My wife also much wanted to work , as she did in Jo'burg , all hours God gives , as an estate agent ( earning too much money ! ) and doing "the midnight roll" . But now , she can't work for many years already , since being linguistically challenged and such high-paying risky commission "jobs" don't exist in Europe-proper anyway .
So . what happens ? some people like cooking , jazz , opera , travel , eating out , film , reading , history , TV , sport , fresh air with one's dog , the computer , family , pop music , light entertainment , flowers , gardening , you name it ...she prefers hitting the shops , to pass the time . Now , that's a Joey'z girl !

Why do you write about "negative" , "now"?
Maybe you are and will be the one lucky one , with your parents help ;
maybe you have the answers and solutions ;
we don't know , but : holding thumbs !
in any case : Best of Luck !
( you did not mention : where in U.K. ? )
cheers ,
R.

Mitzyboy Jul 26th 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ray51 (Post 9519757)
Don't do it ;
I know too many people who have left RSA and have been regretting it , for years ;
with all of South Africa's obvious problems , still many would dearly love to be able to return - but , with changes to medical insurance covers and all else that's been going on in their absence , can't afford to now .
Maybe just visit the U.K. , have a really good and objective look at that hard life and what it costs and re-think the issues ?

Really????

The people I know from SA say they are glad to be out of it, and dont wish to return. I know of two SA citizens that are desperately trying to leave, one one that made it but still cant stop herself sitting in coffee bars with her back to the wall so she can be "on guard"

As for the downer on the UK, when all is said and done its a lovely country. It has it's problems, but then all countries have their own problems and challenges. It's in recession you say ..... well, compare that to outher EU countries, please do. Sitting here in Spain I see the 20% unemployment and "the crisis", but people here dont seem to be in desperate straits.

So .... I have an small insiders view of SA v UK I guess .... not saying that is going to be a significant help, but I dont think the UK is as bad as you say, and the Germans around here tell me that Germany is not looking too ghood at the moment either

allyc123 Jul 26th 2011 12:26 pm

Well, when I say negative it's just that we went through such a long ordeal with the Family Advocate here in South Africa, Cape Town. They are happy and think it's a good idea we emmigrate as it's always the children whose interest should be taking into consideration.

But now when it comes to actually going over to my family and living there and DEFINATELY finding work (cos it's in me and for the reasons I have stated) it seems like there is such a lot of red tape and that it's going to be so difficult getting over there by Xmas. So, yes, I am starting to feel despondent.

But I WILL have faith and pray that it's God's will and that it will work out - in the meantime I have read all your comments and invite more for my help and will always look back fondly on those who came forward with help and hope for me and my children.

I'm ready to leave South Africa now and just hope it happens soon. :)

Ray51 Jul 26th 2011 12:49 pm

@ Mitzy :
England is a lovely country , indeed , I believe Wales and Scotland can be too ;
the climate is the least of my misgivings , actually I find it mild and I don't mind it much , even at it's worst ! the congestion and many other aspects ( not least the NHS ) play a bigger role .
I lived in England 1990-1995 , then again 2004-5 ; and I visit frequently ( easy stroll , from Bruxelles via Calais and the Dover , towards M25 and London ) ; also , my wife insists on BBC on TV at our home at all times ( which is much inhibiting her linguistic skills ) , as well as on Daily Fail daily and Sunday Times , often ;
besides , I check The Telegraph and The Indie and The Guardian daily , so I should have some idea of what's going on there .
With the exception of certain places ( just returned from Sweden , BTW ) , most of EUrope doesn't look good , but Germany has less problems so far , IMHO , unless they keep up busting their gut to pay for Greece , Portugal , Ireland , Italy , Spain and who else next . Let them ! The idea has long been compromised and daily I observe the crazy excesses of EUrocrats here .

As for South Africa , I know at least a dozen people who have been to look around , for years , from UK to Florida and elsewheres - and they remain happily planted in Cape Town , Port Elizabeth , East London , Durban , even Johannesburg ;
as I have witnessed ( and often ) not everyone is "immigration material" .

allyc123 Jul 26th 2011 2:14 pm

Thank you SO much everybody - at least this is a start. I got hold of Breytenbach and told them my story (all that I have said on this site) and they were so, so helpful - said they would get a consultant to get hold of my today or tomorrow and that they would definitely look at how they can help me to get there by Xmas this year. They will look at every single visa possibility I can apply for and then prepare my documents and any paperwork needed will be dealt with via email. They are based in Pretoria and London.

Shew, I feel a LITTLE bit better now - she was very empathetic with me and also said if it's best for the children and I then that is definitely the way to go and that they would do everything in their power to help. If when they make application I am turned down they will appeal and continue the process.

Let's hold thumbs - anymore help or assistance would be very much appreciated. Thank you so far - you've all been such a great help.

Ray51 Jul 26th 2011 3:00 pm

Excuse my ignorance :
with your mother in the UK ( where in the UK ? ) just why should you have a visa problem ?
Half the Asian sub-continent does not appear to have one , nor many other Africans and others ; as far as I have witnessed , South Africans , Ozzies , NZs usually get treated well , by the immigration authorities .
And since you personally have seemingly such good reasons to go to UK , why not just get there anywhichway and handle it thereafter ?
You probably can't imagine how many others have done just that .

Mitzyboy Jul 26th 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ray51 (Post 9519982)
@ Mitzy :
England is a lovely country , indeed , I believe Wales and Scotland can be too ;
the climate is the least of my misgivings , actually I find it mild and I don't mind it much , even at it's worst ! the congestion and many other aspects ( not least the NHS ) play a bigger role .
I lived in England 1990-1995 , then again 2004-5 ; and I visit frequently ( easy stroll , from Bruxelles via Calais and the Dover , towards M25 and London ) ; also , my wife insists on BBC on TV at our home at all times ( which is much inhibiting her linguistic skills ) , as well as on Daily Fail daily and Sunday Times , often ;
besides , I check The Telegraph and The Indie and The Guardian daily , so I should have some idea of what's going on there .
With the exception of certain places ( just returned from Sweden , BTW ) , most of EUrope doesn't look good , but Germany has less problems so far , IMHO , unless they keep up busting their gut to pay for Greece , Portugal , Ireland , Italy , Spain and who else next . Let them ! The idea has long been compromised and daily I observe the crazy excesses of EUrocrats here .

As for South Africa , I know at least a dozen people who have been to look around , for years , from UK to Florida and elsewheres - and they remain happily planted in Cape Town , Port Elizabeth , East London , Durban , even Johannesburg ;
as I have witnessed ( and often ) not everyone is "immigration material" .

I know I'll be crucified for this ....... but London aint England ... in the same way for many years that New York wasn't representative of the USA.

I am always absolutley horrified at the cost of living in London. However if you move northwards into Warwickshire, Oxforshire, even some areas of the West Midlands .... it's a different story. It's a lot cheaper.

For the rest of Europe, well I've been to most places, but more recently Italy surprised me as to how expensive it was there.

I didn't leave the UK because I disliked it. I left it for a different way of life. I still go back there regularly and own a home there. I love travelling around the world (previously on business), mainly now on trips or on holiday. However, even taking into my consideration my present abode, if I were to choose another place to live tomorrow it would be middle England. Warwicshire, and the countryside within it is beautiful. Theres so much going on there, and you border on the Cotswolds as well.

I guess we can pick holes in most countries, given the opportunity. However, as I said before, all countries have their own challenges. My South African friend is happily living in Stourbridge in the West Midlands and loving it, and I'm happy for her

Mitzyboy Jul 26th 2011 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ray51 (Post 9520316)
Excuse my ignorance :
with your mother in the UK ( where in the UK ? ) just why should you have a visa problem ?
Half the Asian sub-continent does not appear to have one , nor many other Africans and others ; as far as I have witnessed , South Africans , Ozzies , NZs usually get treated well , by the immigration authorities .
And since you personally have seemingly such good reasons to go to UK , why not just get there anywhichway and handle it thereafter ?
You probably can't imagine how many others have done just that .

My SA friends mother is in SA, and trying to get over here. When she came last year she got to the end of her visa and was advised to leave. More or less her whole family is here, she is self sufficient, but can she get entry to the UK where her family are? No.:blink:

rozellem Jul 26th 2011 10:24 pm

Hi Alicia, I am glad you got hold of Breythenbachs, they have had their very reputable London office for at least 15 years. They gave me some (correct) free advice about 12 years ago. Good to see they have a office in RSA too. They have a excellent track record and will be 100% honest with you about your options. If they cant do it, it cant be done. The other guys did sound like they were after the fee only, but they were right about one thing, even after all your hard work and paying everybody involved the high fees, your application could still be turned down. I must prepare you, it will be expensive to do, and like mentioned before, it is still up to the UK immigration if they see you as eligible or not. Dont be fooled, yours is a very difficult case, it will pretty much be up to the UK immigration's discretion. It will be down to eligibility, not your desire to be there. How ever strong your wish to be there, they have boxes to tick, otherwise the UK would be bursting at its seams with people living there.

Please be wary of raising the children's expectations, I know its difficult to restrain yourself. Rather not mention it to them at this stage, as there is a very real chance you will not pull this off. Not that you dont want to, but intimately the final decision is out of your hands. Then it will be a bonus if you do get, it rather than a disappointment if you dont.

allyc123 Jul 28th 2011 11:54 am

Hi Rozelle, well they did get back to me - sent me a short email saying that I did not meet the tier criteria so they could not help me - short and sweet. Said that if I got a work permit then it would be different. So I am now very, very unhappy about this as it's not just a matter of 'wanting' to be there - it's a matter of survival for me and my kids as we have absolutely nothing here and the opportunity has presented itself and I CAN and WOULD make a difference as I possess skills (of which Overseas don't see) and I am most capable of hard work. I am currently in Human Resources and have worked in factories, hotels, resorts, marketing covering everything from Gaming to IT to Public Relations to Legal to Engineering, etc. However, doesn't appear they will even consider.

An emmigration attorney contacted me and has already spoken with the Home Office there as well as the Home Affairs here and, apparently, I do have a chance to get there as my mother is becoming a UK Citizen in October (officially) - so we will just hold thumbs and pray to God. I need her and she needs me - she's at home alone during the day and suffers angina and is so at peace to just think of the fact that I may be joining her shortly where she doesn't have to be afraid of something happening to her when she is alone while my stepdad is working.

Anyway, will keep you posted and can only but pray. Let it not seem like me getting my hopes up - but more that there HAS to be a way - I have a lot to offer to the UK - I don't intend going over to try and make use of their well-being by lazing around and trying to milk the country - I will be making a contribution and in turn my children will have a better life completely.

Pray, pray to dear God!