Racism

Old Nov 2nd 2016, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Racism

Quick question to those who are there: how racist is Ireland towards visible ethnic minorities? Any areas to avoid particularly?
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism

Originally Posted by TrishP
Quick question to those who are there: how racist is Ireland towards visible ethnic minorities? Any areas to avoid particularly?
Racism exists in every country and just depends. So called Irish Travellers would be seen as a minority here and many of these families would probably say they aren't accepted by non travellers (racism). Then again, if the government would say all people are now equal many of these travellers would complain, as they receive extra benefits (housing) for being a minority. And vice versa, many non travellers probably wouldn't be accepted by travellers and I might think it's racist calling someone a traveller/non traveller. I thought we are humans but it's just the way the world is . In general Ireland is a very open place and racism is nowhere near to what you'd see in Europe/Rest of the world.

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 2nd 2016 at 11:22 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Racism exists in every country and just depends. So called Irish Travellers would be seen as a minority here and many of these families would probably say they aren't accepted by non travellers (racism). Then again, if the government would say all people are now equal many of these travellers would complain, as they receive extra benefits (housing) for being a minority. And vice versa, many non travellers probably wouldn't be accepted by travellers and I might think it's racist calling someone a traveller/non traveller. I thought we are humans but it's just the way the world is . In general Ireland is a very open place and racism is nowhere near to what you'd see in Europe/Rest of the world.
Only reason I asked was because I'd seen several articles discussing racism in Galway, both overt and covert.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Only reason I asked was because I'd seen several articles discussing racism in Galway, both overt and covert.

In Galway myself and I've seen nothing unsual that I wouldn't have seen elsewhere in the world. Galway city is probably the most multi-cultural area with around 20% being non Irish and loads of foreign students.

Plenty of cultures come together and the chances of reading an article about racism are probably high in such a multi-cultural area. It could be a drunk white guy abusing a black taxi driver, an Irish person complaining about Polish, or catholics not happy with a newly built mosk. Nothing unusual and it's probably only reported that someone was abused but that 70.000 people actually got on is never mentioned.

You don't see refugee homes being burnt down like it is in other parts of Europe.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

In Galway myself and I've seen nothing unsual that I wouldn't have seen elsewhere in the world. Galway city is probably the most multi-cultural area with around 20% being non Irish and loads of foreign students.

Plenty of cultures come together and the chances of reading an article about racism are probably high in such a multi-cultural area. It could be a drunk white guy abusing a black taxi driver, an Irish person complaining about Polish, or catholics not happy with a newly built mosk. Nothing unusual and it's probably only reported that someone was abused but that 70.000 people actually got on is never mentioned.

You don't see refugee homes being burnt down like it is in other parts of Europe.
I'm assuming you're white, so would not be as aware of racism as someone whose skin colour is darker - I mean no disrespect when I say that, as I'm white and was totally unaware of the depths and forms of racism until I met my husband and saw it for myself.
It was the fact that an anti-racism network has been established that concerned me. My husband is from a visible ethnic minority, so the potential for racism in Ireland and the UK has me hesitant about moving.

there.Is Ireland a racist society? Many immigrants there believe so | IrishCentral.com
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm assuming you're white, so would not be as aware of racism as someone whose skin colour is darker - I mean no disrespect when I say that, as I'm white and was totally unaware of the depths and forms of racism until I met my husband and saw it for myself.
It was the fact that an anti-racism network has been established that concerned me. My husband is from a visible ethnic minority, so the potential for racism in Ireland and the UK has me hesitant about moving.

there.Is Ireland a racist society? Many immigrants there believe so | IrishCentral.com
No offence taken. I would be classed as white with my farmers tan. I know IrishCentral (based in North America) and they seem to write about everything and need a subject, but where is it different? This wouldn't even be reported in the US, Germany, UK, France etc. because it happens on a daily basis and is nothing special.

"Her friend was pretty sure she had been turned down for the accommodation because of her African accent.

This is even better:

Bridget Kelly of the Galway Traveller Movement said her community faced daily discrimination in the areas of accommodation, health, employment, and education.
“Being refused access to hotels and pubs, being unable to get a house when people find out you are a Traveller, you feel ashamed of who you are,” she told the hushed attendance.

If you were a landlord and previously rented your house out to dog owners and the place was always destroyed because of the dogs, would it be wrong to then turn down a couple with a dog? Of course racism exists everywhere but where does it start and where does it stop?

There are some areas in other countries where no white person would go to either. The thing is that as long as you belong to a minority there will always be cases.

I work with all nationalties and have colleagues who are darker skinned but they never had an issue in Galway.

You can also read this article:

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/grow...91695-Jan2015/

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 2nd 2016 at 2:24 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

No offence taken. I would be classed as white with my farmers tan. I know IrishCentral (based in North America) and they seem to write about everything and need a subject, but where is it different? This wouldn't even be reported in the US, Germany, UK, France etc. because it happens on a daily basis and is nothing special.

"Her friend was pretty sure she had been turned down for the accommodation because of her African accent.

This is even better:

Bridget Kelly of the Galway Traveller Movement said her community faced daily discrimination in the areas of accommodation, health, employment, and education.
“Being refused access to hotels and pubs, being unable to get a house when people find out you are a Traveller, you feel ashamed of who you are,” she told the hushed attendance.

If you were a landlord and previously rented your house out to dog owners and the place was always destroyed because of the dogs, would it be wrong to then turn down a couple with a dog? Of course racism exists everywhere but where does it start and where does it stop?

There are some areas in other countries where no white person would go to either. The thing is that as long as you belong to a minority there will always be cases.

I work with all nationalties and have colleagues who are darker skinned but they never had an issue in Galway.

You can also read this article:

Opinion: I might have been born in Lagos, but I was definitely made in Dublin
Cheers, that puts my mind somewhat at ease, should we decide on the Irish route back ... I'm from the north, so have Irish citizenship. However, my heart doesn't really belong in the south as it's a totally different 'country', but we'll do it if getting a visa for the Uk proves too difficult - it'll still be better than here!
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheers, that puts my mind somewhat at ease, should we decide on the Irish route back ... I'm from the north, so have Irish citizenship. However, my heart doesn't really belong in the south as it's a totally different 'country', but we'll do it if getting a visa for the Uk proves too difficult - it'll still be better than here!
You'll fit in and be it North or South there's always good and bad areas.

The guy in the article said it all and is black
There are over 60,000 people in Ireland right now that self-identify as being black, and I’m reluctantly one of them. Not because I’m not proud of who I am. I really am proud of my heritage. Not because I don’t identify with ‘black people’. I’d like to think that I do. I just have never really been one to strictly identify with or categorise myself in such a way. My friends consist of the people around me, white, black, yellow, it really doesn’t matter, and I don’t think it should. Maturing into the person I am today happened in Ireland, and, more specifically, in Dublin. If anyone asks where I’m from, the first thought that comes to mind is ‘Ireland’.
Just like everywhere in the world, there are those arseholes that are going to go out of their way to make everyone as miserable as they are, but I know for a fact that Dubliners in general, and probably more than anywhere else I’ve ever been, are an extremely welcoming bunch. I’ve never gotten less than full support from everyone I care to know and even strangers during tough times.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is ethnically ethiopian and spanish by nationality (adopted, but proudly catalan). She studied in Galway for a year and didn't have any issues from a racial perspective anywhere. The only issue she ever had was being called the N word in Limerick once, and that was by some scumbags so she didn't care.