Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

De-facto spouse in Ireland?

De-facto spouse in Ireland?

Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

darrio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default De-facto spouse in Ireland?

I am a Northern Irish citizen and therefore myself have no problem in living in the Irish Republic.
However, my girlfriend is American and I would like to know how she can come to live with me in Ireland without us having to get married. We have been in a relationship for two years (can provide evidence of this) but have not been living together so far.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:34 pm
Violent Potato Promotor

Ophelia will become famous soon enough
Default Re: De-facto spouse in Ireland?

Originally Posted by darrio
I am a Northern Irish citizen and therefore myself have no problem in living in the Irish Republic.
However, my girlfriend is American and I would like to know how she can come to live with me in Ireland without us having to get married. We have been in a relationship for two years (can provide evidence of this) but have not been living together so far.

Thanks for any advice.
As far as I am aware, you can only use relationships for visas etc if you're married... although don't quote me on this... you really need to get in touch with immigration in Ireland. Ireland is in the EU so I guess the rules are the same for where I am. I guess your girlfriend really needs to get either a working visa or a student visa. Good luck!