Ireland

Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

elro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ireland

My husband (American citizen) and I (Austrian citizen) want to move to Ireland. I don't really know where to start now with all our plans. I try to make a step by step list and eventually going on job-interviews while we are there for a 5 day vacation in January, but besides that,....is there anything I can do already, like filing some paperwork,.....?
Also, my husband is a consultant and we don't know if it is better to stay with his recruiter in America or finding one in Ireland. The question is, is it better to get US Benefits or irish benefits? I will probably get irish benefits, since I am european, but as a greencard holder I could also get US benefits I heard.
If there is anybody out there who could help me to find things out, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks
Old Dec 1st 2004, 5:22 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ireland

Originally Posted by elro
The question is, is it better to get US Benefits or irish benefits? I will probably get irish benefits, since I am european, but as a greencard holder I could also get US benefits I heard.
What benefits are you talking about? I'm not so sure you can double dip and you need to guard against abandoning your perm residency in the US.

First port of call should be the Irish Embassy for full info.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ireland

Originally Posted by sibsie
What benefits are you talking about? I'm not so sure you can double dip and you need to guard against abandoning your perm residency in the US.

First port of call should be the Irish Embassy for full info.
If only a greencard holder then you need to be very careful about losing your status if you move outside the US (it can happen easily). It's normally hard for Austrians to have dual citizenship, although apparently Gov Schwarzenegger applied for and got an exemption before he became American.

As an Austrian, you can sponsor your husband for an 'EEA family permit' in Ireland. http://www.irelandemb.org should be the first port of call.

Jeremy