Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Where do you buy furniture in the Western Algarve?

Where do you buy furniture in the Western Algarve?

Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:12 pm
Banned

Sally49 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where do you buy furniture in the Western Algarve?

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Yep its not easy!
Do you like the "proper" wood portuguese stuff?
If you look on expat focus website there is a thread about furniture,you might find it useful,they are totally different shops to the usual.
Yes, I had a look at that and have a list of shops to visit when we next go! The problem with proper wood is that it tends to be dark, whereas I'm after a light contemporary look with glass tables, but not the "Ikea" look, which I think can be a bit cheap. I also want cream or white in my bedrooms, maybe with a touch of rattan thrown in for that "holiday feeling"!!!!

The problem is, I have champagne tastes and beer money!!!!!!!!!!! If I could rake up another 10 grand I could get what I want over there and all fully installed by somebody else! How lovely!!!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:13 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally49
Yes, I had a look at that and have a list of shops to visit when we next go! The problem with proper wood is that it tends to be dark, whereas I'm after a light contemporary look with glass tables, but not the "Ikea" look, which I think can be a bit cheap. I also want cream or white in my bedrooms, maybe with a touch of rattan thrown in for that "holiday feeling"!!!!

The problem is, I have champagne tastes and beer money!!!!!!!!!!! If I could rake up another 10 grand I could get what I want over there and all fully installed by somebody else! How lovely!!!
Humm "in our dreams"
Oh well,I always think you can make it look nice on a budget!!
I really dont know what the other shops have to offer,must be worth a look tho!
There are loads and loads of furniture shops if you venture near to Villamoura etc they look expensive though
At Portimao retail park,there is a shop called De Borla,they have got a few nice peices of rattan stuff,dead cheap,well worth a trip,its next to radio popular and Moviflor.
Good luck
Cleri xxx
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

violets'n'vanilla will become famous soon enough

Evening all,

So the stories about the 'right wood', for furniture in Portugal
, are just wind-ups.
And Rattan is ok, you won't come down one morning to find a thousand cane-eating grubs having breakies?

Good.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Gary Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everybody

We have bought a house in Burgau and have seen people mention Conforama and Home Sweet Home.

Could anyone tell us where these stores are located.

We have visited Movifloor and Planet Sofa before, so we are aware of these two shops.

Best wishes

Gary & Judith
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Gary Wilson
Hi Everybody

We have bought a house in Burgau and have seen people mention Conforama and Home Sweet Home.

We have visited Movifloor and Planet Sofa before, so we are aware of these two shops.

Best wishes

Gary & Judith
Thay are both at Algarve shopping centre Guia
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the quick reply

Is this the same retail park where Movifloor is (near portimao)

Sorry to be a bit thick.

Regards

Gary & Judith
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:01 am

Hi thanks for the quick reply

Is this the same retail park where Movifloor is (near portimao)

Sorry to be a bit thick.

Regards

Gary & Judith
You are not being thick
No that is portimao retail park.

Algarve shopping is the Guia/Albufeira turn off on the A22
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:50 pm
Banned

Hi Everybody

Best wishes

Gary & Judith

I've been told by a chap who regularly furnishes properties in the Algarve that Conforama is much better than Moviflor. In fact he said Moviflor was often of poor quality.

Hope this is of help.
Sally
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

apinner is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are heading down to Guia to visit Conforama and Home Sweet Home there is also Interforme in Algarve Shopping which does very modern furniture.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi. Thanks to all for helping us here.

We are coming over on Monday 12/2 until Sat 17/2 and we need to fully furnish a 4 bedroomed house. My wife is getting dizzy at the thought of spending all that money.............................I don't feel well!

I think I need to go and have a lie down now.

We have a budget and I am an accountant, but then when did budgets ever come true...........If we make it on budget I will let you all know.

Cheers...........................heading off for a beer, me thinks

Gary
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:09 pm
Banned

Hi. Thanks to all for helping us here.

We are coming over on Monday 12/2 until Sat 17/2 and we need to fully furnish a 4 bedroomed house. My wife is getting dizzy at the thought of spending all that money.............................I don't feel well!

I think I need to go and have a lie down now.

We have a budget and I am an accountant, but then when did budgets ever come true...........If we make it on budget I will let you all know.

Cheers...........................heading off for a beer, me thinks

Gary
Hi Gary

If it's any consolation, I'm about to hand over 15,000 euros and my bank debit card to a guy to furnish my 2 bed apartment. You hear about people who are this stupid on these consumer programmes don't you but we just can't get out there to do it ourselves!!!

No wonder the national intake of alcohol is on the increase.....it's all the stress of the British buying abroad!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Bloody ell, as we up north say!

Have you gone mad, do you know him well.

We hope you know him, I think I will head off for another beer.............

Hope it all works out well for you, where have you bought your property?

We have bought in Burgau.

Cheers

Gary
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:29 am
Banned

Bloody ell, as we up north say!

Have you gone mad, do you know him well.

We hope you know him, I think I will head off for another beer.............

Hope it all works out well for you, where have you bought your property?

We have bought in Burgau.

Cheers

Gary
HI Gary, No I've only spoken to him on the phone!! We are planning on using their company for our rentals and they do come across as being very good, but I guess you never know do you???!!

It's a leap of faith.........or madness.........???!!

We are on Oasis Parque, Portimao but we know Bergau as we nearly got washed away on the beach by a huge wave there last September, it was the leftover of that hurricane. We got up about half a second before it hit and our little patch was completely flooded. I must have a well developed 6th sense!! Someone had left their car on the ramp at the bottom and it was about to float away! The just turned up to move it in the nick of time.....all very exciting!!! Probably something to do with Global warming though!!

Sally
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sally

I hope your goodwill arrangement with this guy works out, I am sure it will.

But its best to keep your wits about you.

Were not too far apart really.

I will let you know next week, if we kept to budget........................I hope so.

Gary
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone.

Well my wife and I are back from the Algarve on our shopping trip to fully furnish a 4 bedroomed house.

These are only our opinions and not meant to be gospel, its just our experiences and opinions.

Planet Sofa in Lagos[/U][/B]. We bought all our Beds and bedframes,Mattresses, Headboards, Bedside tables, Dining table, Dining chairs, Tv unit, Coffee table and Lamp table. Had great service and friendly staff.

Decorado Bela in Almadena. This is a very large showroom and warehouse facility. However, we did not buy anything here as we thought all the furniture was a little old fashioned.

Moviflor in Olhau, but also in Portimao retail park. We went to the Olhau (think thats how you spell it, its near Tavira as its much bigger.) We purchased two fantastic 3 seater leather setees from here. Absolutely incredible prices for these sofas, although they were on special offer. We thought the dining tables and other furniture was primarily of the cheap style and all seemed to be veneered rather than "real" wood.

Conforama at Guia retail park. We bought lots of odds and ends here, but we thought the furniture was not great.

Makro opposite the retail park at Guia. We bought lots from here, primarily two flat screen Tv's. Prices were excellent, although you need to remember your Makro card from the UK.

Moveison on the EN125 out of Lagos for all our outdoor furniture and sun lounges etc.

Jumbo at Faro shooping centre, ccalled frum algarve, great for baby cots and stuff. Also bought lots of bits and bobs.

E.Leclerc near the Guia retail park, but on a back road. Bought our crockery and kitchen utensils from here.

We visited all the shops at the Portimao and Guia retail parks and bots lots of other stuff.

Hope this helps. Obviously all the furniture stores have had a deposit and the balance is payable on delivery, so we can not comment on the final outcome yet.

Major positive is that we are within about £400 og budget, which is a major bonus.

Gary & Judith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.