Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Where do you buy furniture in the Western Algarve?

Where do you buy furniture in the Western Algarve?

Old Oct 12th 2006, 3:01 pm
Banned

Sally49 will become famous soon enough
Default Where do you buy furniture in the Western Algarve?

Is there anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Portimao that sells mid range priced furniture, say like you'd buy from the Next Directory? All I seem to be able to find is either really expensive or really cheap (and looks it!).

Sally
Old Oct 12th 2006, 3:33 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do you buy furniture in the Western Algarve?

Originally Posted by Sally49
Is there anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Portimao that sells mid range priced furniture, say like you'd buy from the Next Directory? All I seem to be able to find is either really expensive or really cheap (and looks it!).

Sally
Difficult !!
Where have you already tried,Moviflor? Conforama? Home sweet Home?
I always think H from H is a bit "nexty"
I bought a sofa from Zeus,but they are sao teotonio,so a bit of a drive for you.
Whilst Im on,sorry cant help with mortgages at all,try the expat focus website,there is a lot of information on there,and one of the posters is a bit of a legal eagle with Azul properties (Richard) you could pm him.
C xx
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Difficult !!
Where have you already tried,Moviflor? Conforama? Home sweet Home?
I always think H from H is a bit "nexty"
I bought a sofa from Zeus,but they are sao teotonio,so a bit of a drive for you.
Whilst Im on,sorry cant help with mortgages at all,try the expat focus website,there is a lot of information on there,and one of the posters is a bit of a legal eagle with Azul properties (Richard) you could pm him.
C xx
Hi thanks, no I've not looked at Conforama or Home Sweet Home, I'll see if I can find them via Google!

I've decided to go for a remortgage here in the end because there were a lot of add on costs with the Portuguese one. However I'll look on the Focus website as they might be able to help with this furniture problem!!!

Cheers
Sally
Old Oct 19th 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Inish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of light

There are a whole host of shops selling furniture near the place they have the BLIP show or whatever it is called. All offering discount if asked for.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Inish
There are a whole host of shops selling furniture near the place they have the BLIP show or whatever it is called. All offering discount if asked for.

I know this might sound ridiculous, but has anybody ever tried shipping flat pack from Argos? I quite like a couple of their current ranges, particularly bedroom furniture and it's really cheap of course. Their sofas are really cheap too (2 for 1 offers!!). Would I have to pay a load of import duty with it being new stuff???
Old Oct 19th 2006, 3:36 pm

I know this might sound ridiculous, but has anybody ever tried shipping flat pack from Argos? I quite like a couple of their current ranges, particularly bedroom furniture and it's really cheap of course. Their sofas are really cheap too (2 for 1 offers!!). Would I have to pay a load of import duty with it being new stuff???
I doubt it,who would know,nobody checked anything I shipped!!!
Do you think thats the right thing to do,when you add shipping costs,I would say Moviflor is about the same quality,also what happens if its damaged or "bits missing" from the flat pack when you get it here?
Conforama have lots of bargains on sofas etc,Personally I wouldnt have thought it was worth the cost and the hassle,but thats just me
Old Oct 19th 2006, 3:40 pm

Ps Conforama website
http://www.conforama.fr/ConfoOnline/accueil.co
Its french,but the stock is the same
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Inish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of lightInish is a glorious beacon of light

Ps Conforama website
http://www.conforama.fr/ConfoOnline/accueil.co
Its french,but the stock is the same

O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!La, La
Old Oct 27th 2006, 10:40 am
Banned

I doubt it,who would know,nobody checked anything I shipped!!!
Do you think thats the right thing to do,when you add shipping costs,I would say Moviflor is about the same quality,also what happens if its damaged or "bits missing" from the flat pack when you get it here?
Conforama have lots of bargains on sofas etc,Personally I wouldnt have thought it was worth the cost and the hassle,but thats just me

Well, having costed it all up it's coming in at about £10k with the shipping costs (£2000k with sofas). It's the logistics of it that are the headache, having to oraganise storage here to collect it all together and like you say, the potential to have "The Gremlins" interfer and find screws etc missing when you get there just sends shivers down your spine doesn't it?!

I think maybe the Moviflor or Conforama ideas might be better because at least you can go back to the shop for the missing screws!!!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:05 pm

Well, having costed it all up it's coming in at about £10k with the shipping costs (£2000k with sofas). It's the logistics of it that are the headache, having to oraganise storage here to collect it all together and like you say, the potential to have "The Gremlins" interfer and find screws etc missing when you get there just sends shivers down your spine doesn't it?!

I think maybe the Moviflor or Conforama ideas might be better because at least you can go back to the shop for the missing screws!!!
Well I think thats a good idea,you will have enough headaches,without worrying about missing/damaged stuff
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:14 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Well I think thats a good idea,you will have enough headaches,without worrying about missing/damaged stuff
I agree with Cleri - we got most of our 'stuff' from Conforama and have been delighted with it! - When they delivered 2 single guest beds with 2 left sides LOL replacements arrived the next day! Always have an initial look round - then pop into Cafe next door for a cafe/beer/discussion - then go back to buy! Makes it seem less stressful I love the way they promis morning or afternoon delivery and then phone you 30 mins before delivery so you can be there and NOT have to hang about the whole day like in the UK!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:24 pm
Banned

Unhappy Re: Where do you buy furniture in the Western Algarve?

The only problem is..........I really like the stuff I've seen here and from what I've seen so far, the similar stuff over there is way over my budget So I'm torn between having what I really want and a shed load of hassle, or taking the easy route but having to go for something I don't like as much .
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:32 pm

The only problem is..........I really like the stuff I've seen here and from what I've seen so far, the similar stuff over there is way over my budget So I'm torn between having what I really want and a shed load of hassle, or taking the easy route but having to go for something I don't like as much .
Hummmm well,in that case I might go down the hassle route
Im very fussy about what I have in the house,could you come over for a recce and see if there is anything you like,its not easy by internet is it?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:39 pm
Banned

Hummmm well,in that case I might go down the hassle route
Im very fussy about what I have in the house,could you come over for a recce and see if there is anything you like,its not easy by internet is it?

I had a quick scout around Movifor and Planet Sofa when we were there in September but didn't see anything that set me alight. If I wasn't so fussy I could just get one of these package people in, but I either like the bedrooms and not the living rooms, or visa versa and some of their colour schemes are really scary too! I also object to paying 300 euros for a set of voiles when I can buy them here for £12.99!!!!

Time is another restriction because my partner only has 9 days holiday left. I read on one site to allow 6-8 weeks....you would have to be retired and able to just stay there to do that!! The rest of us have to work within these little "windows" of opportunity don't we?!!!!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:44 pm

I had a quick scout around Movifor and Planet Sofa when we were there in September but didn't see anything that set me alight. If I wasn't so fussy I could just get one of these package people in, but I either like the bedrooms and not the living rooms, or visa versa and some of their colour schemes are really scary too! I also object to paying 300 euros for a set of voiles when I can buy them here for £12.99!!!!

Time is another restriction because my partner only has 9 days holiday left. I read on one site to allow 6-8 weeks....you would have to be retired and able to just stay there to do that!! The rest of us have to work within these little "windows" of opportunity don't we?!!!!
Yep its not easy!
Do you like the "proper" wood portuguese stuff?
If you look on expat focus website there is a thread about furniture,you might find it useful,they are totally different shops to the usual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.