Utopia

Old Sep 28th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

carillion is on a distinguished road
Question Utopia

Its Sunday, and in our house a day for reflection. So here goes. What if – there was some island somewhere where we could live where
· where the cost of living wasn’t excessive
· house prices would just be stable, so when I sold a house I could make back what I spent on it
· where health care was adequate/good without disproportionate expense
· where there were enough shops and bars and restaurants without excess
· where the scenery was beautiful
· where bureaucratic interference and taxes were kept to a realistic minimum so people can be born, grow up, live a full life and die without government sticking its nose into every aspect of our lives
· where the weather was warm and dry but the land was green (now that’s impossible!)
· where transport links were good

Now I recognise that this island doesn’t exist. If it did, Christopher Columbus would have discovered it and had the Americans cover it with gas stations, MacDonalds and Walmarts. However I reckon the people who view this site are collectively very well travelled. So come on folks, where is it? Or ,where is close?
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Jon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really nice
Default Re: Utopia

Madeira Island? I've been here 9 years but there are a couple of your points it doesn't cover.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jon_D
Madeira Island? I've been here 9 years but there are a couple of your points it doesn't cover.
Oooohh! Been to Madiera but many years ago and with young children. Do tell - what does Madeira miss?

Carillion
Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really nice

I think it would be difficult to justify these:-
  1. house prices would just be stable, so when I sold a house I could make back what I spent on it.
  2. where health care was adequate/good without disproportionate expense

The local Funchal Infirmary is pretty grotty, depends mainly on the good will of the patients relatives and,
house prices are certainly not stable, due to the usual property inflation AND the fact that there is no little land to build on, (apart from the Hotel Zone where they are pulling down banana plantations to put up hotels)
Edit:-Ohh I see what you mean now; you'd certainly get your money back!

However we are going to move to the mainland as life on a 50 x 30 mile island can get pretty boring. e.g. you can't really get into a car and drive to Spain, France etc etc.

Otherwise its a great place. Temp never lower than say 16C or over 28C
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

I think it would be difficult to justify these:-
  1. house prices would just be stable, so when I sold a house I could make back what I spent on it.
  2. where health care was adequate/good without disproportionate expense

The local Funchal Infirmary is pretty grotty, depends mainly on the good will of the patients relatives and,
house prices are certainly not stable, due to the usual property inflation AND the fact that there is no little land to build on, (apart from the Hotel Zone where they are pulling down banana plantations to put up hotels)
Edit:-Ohh I see what you mean now; you'd certainly get your money back!

However we are going to move to the mainland as life on a 50 x 30 mile island can get pretty boring. e.g. you can't really get into a car and drive to Spain, France etc etc.

Otherwise its a great place. Temp never lower than say 16C or over 28C
Thats very interetsing - thank you. Hope you find somewhere as good or better on the mainland. Are you eyeing up any place in particular?
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Are you eyeing up any place in particular?
We've seen a place in the Western Algarve but playing a waiting gameas we've been looking for the last year and are not in a great hurry as yet.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:29 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

We've seen a place in the Western Algarve but playing a waiting gameas we've been looking for the last year and are not in a great hurry as yet.
Is it near me!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:50 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gazz
Is it near me!
Maybe it's VDT
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:25 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
Maybe it's VDT
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not telling you....so there