Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

3rd party car insurance

3rd party car insurance

Old Sep 27th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default 3rd party car insurance

Just "a wee tip"...

There is a bit of an insurance war going on here in Portugal & they are getting pretty desperate to keep/steal clients. If you are paying over 250-280 euros per year over 3rd party only(but including break down cover,passengers&maybe even glass cover) and have 3 years or more no claims bonus....then you are paying too much!!

If you think you may be paying over the odds...go get a quote from another company/broker(they give higher discounts for new clients who already have valid insurance with another company) or ask your excisting company for discount as you feel its too expensive and tell them you can get it cheaper elsewhere!

This wont/cant last forever due to Portugals pathetic accident rate so enjoy/ abuse it while the prices are low!

p.s fully comp. insurance has not really came down much(and very few Portuguese buy fully comp. insurance "even with brand new cars")...but if you are paying over a 1000 euros for a car thats not "brand new"...get a quote elsewhere.
A personal thing...but I would recommend Fidelidade or Zurich.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3rd party car insurance

A word of caution....

Making such sweeping statements is a little misleading.

Motor insurers rates are always volatile. Hence why people shop around and ask their broker for other quotes.

Look at what you are getting for your money. Not all Third Party Only cover is the same and there are many options to choose from, unlike the UK.

Get your broker to break it down so you can compare on a like for like basis.

If you have a Comprehensive policy you should also consider the claims service. Saving a few €'s will mean nothing if you do not get paid what you expect or at all!

Again there are many options so get your broker to break it down. The insurers will more than likely base the value of the vehicle on guide prices. Is this enough? What extras are included?

Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mike
A word of caution....

Making such sweeping statements is a little misleading.

Motor insurers rates are always volatile. Hence why people shop around and ask their broker for other quotes.

Look at what you are getting for your money. Not all Third Party Only cover is the same and there are many options to choose from, unlike the UK.

Get your broker to break it down so you can compare on a like for like basis.

If you have a Comprehensive policy you should also consider the claims service. Saving a few €'s will mean nothing if you do not get paid what you expect or at all!

Again there are many options so get your broker to break it down. The insurers will more than likely base the value of the vehicle on guide prices. Is this enough? What extras are included?

WHAT EXACTLY IS MIS-LEADING about my thread...please explain??(seriously please let me & the readers know)

I think I told it how it is, "me" im not looking to benefit from my post, it was just a little advice for fellow expats.
I think anyone with half a brain would "read what they are getting for their money" but still I suggested two companies which cover well and pay out without problems when they are entitiled to!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mike, i just remembered it is yourself who sells insurance for a company in Gibralter is it not?

Last edited by gedscottish; Sep 29th 2008 at 5:51 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

I use the company Mike works for and my fully comp on a 6 year old car is much nearer €250 than €1000.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anna58
I use the company Mike works for and my fully comp on a 6 year old car is much nearer €250 than €1000.
well Anna if you have fully comp. for that price its well cheap. You wont however get it that cheap with a Portuguese company. A personal choice I suppose to have insurance in a foriegn country?! Would that be the same company that you are complaining about on another thread or im way off the mark here?!

Last edited by gedscottish; Sep 29th 2008 at 6:00 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

Yes, it's the same broker, different insurance company, I'm just amazed that in this case obvious damage by two days of terrible rain which has destroyed roads and telephone lines is not insured.

I'll tell you a funny story about house insurance, we were once cleaning and shook all the rugs and put them over the balcony wall. Half an hour later we were running round because we could smell burning. We eventually traced it to a rug which had covered the security light and caused it to be on, burning the rug. We pulled it off and bashed the fire out but there was a hole in it. When we went to claim we were told that we couldn't because it had only smouldered not burst into flames, so if you ever set anything on fire make sure you leave it to well and truly burn!!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Ged,
I think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
I work for an independant broker and place business with the most appropriate insurer. Our panel is made up of Portuguese and English insurers.