Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Swimming Pool - Planning Permission??

Swimming Pool - Planning Permission??

Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:42 am
Just Joined

SBBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Swimming Pool - Planning Permission??

We have recently purchased a detatched villa near Moncarapacho, Eastern algarve and would like to build a swimming pool in the garden. We have made preliminary enquiries with several companies but there seems to be doubt as to the exact requirements for planning consent. Some say it is required whilst others say 'nobody bothers' and the rest say it's not a requirement....all a bit confusing. Can any body help us please???

Also, overhead the proposed site runs an electric cable and telephone lines - would these have to be re-routed? We were told it depends on the height but again there seems to be some doubt!

Thanks!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Swimming Pool - Planning Permission??

1. Yes you absolutely do need planning permission for an in-ground pool and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. However, that's not to say that there aren't quite a few illegal ones around, but you can be fined if the council finds out - and it can be quite a hefty fine. Above-ground pools are a different - and quite ambiguous - matter, depending on whether it is classified as a "temporary" structure.

2. Not sure about the overhead cables aspect, but I would have thought that they shouldn't need rerouting so long as they're high enough. But that's just MY opinion and I have been known to be wrong (but not often )

3. Where abouts in / near Moncarapacho are you (I live in them there parts) ? Holiday home or permanent residence?

Good luck.

Graeme
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:46 am
Just Joined

SBBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Swimming Pool - Planning Permission??

Hi Graeme,
thanks for the info.......much as we thought. Don't suppose you know of any local reputable companies that you could recommend that would carry out the whole process - i.e planning & build etc.

We are a group of 4 couples who bought in joint ownership. We have had some building work completed and plan to rent out in high season but use it for ourselves also......looking forward to it!!

Rgds Bob.