Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

a ??? for the ladies.. & u chaps aswell ;)

a ??? for the ladies.. & u chaps aswell ;)

Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Emma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant future
Smile a ??? for the ladies.. & u chaps aswell ;)

brain picking alert!!! ..

would you use a "spiritual spa"... for everything from Yoga classes to Angel card readings, massage to reiki, hot stone therapy to waxing and other beauty treatments ... and, would this be more appealing near the coast or in a forrest ?

my personal preference would be in the mountains and forrest...
i am interested in what your thoughts are????

thanks

emma x
Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:40 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: a ??? for the ladies.. & u chaps aswell ;)

If I was you, I'd set it up in the mountains. Better air, not so crowded, can relax more
Old Jul 14th 2007, 6:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
If I was you, I'd set it up in the mountains. Better air, not so crowded, can relax more
What about customers ?

I would say you would need a big expat community and then it would be a struggle to get enough people interested.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Emma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant future

thanks touristrap.. i agree

& as for customers i have yet to fully research the area in particular, expats are just one feed .. the idea is for people to stay the day or weekend or week.. not just for one treatment, but that can be offered as well .. i am looking at much more than just a "beauty" spa..

your thoughts are much appreciated ..
thanks

emma x
Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:37 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Hi Emma
Good Luck - think you need to target the wealthy locals! Q D Lago, V D Lobo types or get people to fly in.
Perhaps advertise at Golf Clubs or in the top quality local glossy mag.

Always worth inviting The Algarve Res' people to get some editorial. May be worth trying to check out profile of who goes to other local spa facilities - that may show you who are your potential clients! I know classes in Yoga can be popular and not cheap!. If I get any more ideas I'll let you know.
Boa Sorte
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: a ??? for the ladies.. & u chaps aswell ;)

thanks
Old Jul 16th 2007, 5:00 pm
MnC
Just Joined

MnC is an unknown quantity at this point

I read this discussion thread with interest as my partner and I are considering doing something similar. As qualified massage therapists and personal trainers we are considering moving to the algarve and offering these services to clients in the convenience of their own home - do you have any opinions on this? We'd obviously be tapping into the ex pats and targeting them with local advertising etc...

Thanks....Claire
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

I think it really depends whether you are supplementing a pension or just feel too young to retire, or whether you need to make a living. I think it's very hard to make a living for two reasons, as you suspect there aren't enough people to make things go, and the bureaucracy (burro-crazy) is just so daunting if you want to be totally legal as you need to be if you're going to advertise in all the English speaking papers. That's not to say that people don't do it, but a lot fail. An example is that social security, (N.I., stamp) is 140€ a month. Tax breaks are fairly generous on the other hand.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:55 pm
MnC
Just Joined

We're 33 and 34 so definately far too young to retire!! It would be a long term commitment - looking at the ex pats that moved to the algarve for a better way of life but have since piled on the pounds, and need some help. We also think that these people will be less time poor then people in the UK so would be more keen?
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: a ??? for the ladies.. & u chaps aswell ;)

hi - we're around your ages aswell. 34 & 32.. so like you are a long way off retiring!! lol
we r looking towards the north of the country. i understand there are not so many ex-pats as in the south. and my guess, as i need to do more research, is that lots of older people living in the south have disposable income and therefore may well be interested in a personal trainer @ home - i think its a great idea, especially if you've never been to a gym - it just eases you into a new exercise regime without too much pressure. is it what you do over here as well? ... what about equipment? will you carry it around or have a gym aswell?
emma x
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anna58
I think it really depends whether you are supplementing a pension or just feel too young to retire, or whether you need to make a living. I think it's very hard to make a living for two reasons, as you suspect there aren't enough people to make things go, and the bureaucracy (burro-crazy) is just so daunting if you want to be totally legal as you need to be if you're going to advertise in all the English speaking papers. That's not to say that people don't do it, but a lot fail. An example is that social security, (N.I., stamp) is 140€ a month. Tax breaks are fairly generous on the other hand.
thanks for your reply - wherever you go there is the good ol' red tape isn't there?...
we would want to be totally legal and at 32 & 34 we are not looking to retire and tbh am surprised that someone may top up a pension with running a spa!
thanks for your advice and i hope to stay optimistic whatever happens we will not fail..
emma x
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:47 am
MnC
Just Joined

Yes we do training and massage therapy in the UK. Initially we would have to do a visit at home service, but then once we're a bit established we'd like to have a studio at home for clients to come to us, as I think that some people especially women like to go out for appointments.

Like you we're really keen to do it - living in the UK is just getting more and more depressing!!

Where in the north are you considering?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MnC
Yes we do training and massage therapy in the UK. Initially we would have to do a visit at home service, but then once we're a bit established we'd like to have a studio at home for clients to come to us, as I think that some people especially women like to go out for appointments.

Like you we're really keen to do it - living in the UK is just getting more and more depressing!!

Where in the north are you considering?
We like the Duoro valley and the mountains.. although we are not 100% sold on anywhere yet - going out to look in sept. we may end up on the coast or even in the algave, not sure yet - we are expecting to have to change most of our ideas as we go along.. so will wait and see! ;-)

where about are you planning on?

emma x
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

have a look at possible opposition or possible assistance.
http://www.quintadacalma.com/about-us.htm
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:24 pm
MnC
Just Joined

Thanks I shall have a good look at that site as I see that they are in Amancil which isn't far from where we would ideally like to be in Loule.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.