Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Old Mar 16th 2017, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

I use chemicals. They are complex compounds that break down after a few weeks, unlike copper sulfate.
They are not what people refer to as "organic" these days. I have no problem with employing modern science in my orchard.

If you want to go the natural route, you'll need to really get into it. The fungal spores will live in soil for a long time; any time the roots are susceptible [too much moisture] the problem will return. I don't know the specifics, there are strategies but it's a tough problem and will take some serious effort.
Good luck.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Even more problems for Monsanto

Judge Threatens to Sanction Monsanto for Secrecy in Roundup Cancer Lawsuits
Old Mar 16th 2017, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

What gets me about the likes of these godforsaken companies is that it has taken the courts almost 50 years to latch on to the poisons they are peddling...if we, the public, are lucky.

Could it be that they control the testing, that the fox is guarding the chicken house, what?

So who will be left on this planet after 50 years of GMO?

They flog us the BS started by Al Gore about climate change, meanwhile back at Bayer.......A case of "look my assistant's big tits while I steal your Rolex."

Last edited by AllanB; Mar 16th 2017 at 2:40 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I use chemicals. They are complex compounds that break down after a few weeks, unlike copper sulfate.
They are not what people refer to as "organic" these days. I have no problem with employing modern science in my orchard.

If you want to go the natural route, you'll need to really get into it. The fungal spores will live in soil for a long time; any time the roots are susceptible [too much moisture] the problem will return. I don't know the specifics, there are strategies but it's a tough problem and will take some serious effort.
Good luck.
Yes and that's the dilemma . There are scientists out there working with biologists to provide natural answers to what is an 'unnatural' situation i.e. crops grown on a massive scale. Companies like Monsanto..essentially a chemicals company producing weapons for warfare/turned pesticide producer,don't give a flying rats ar** about human health.Or what's good for planet earth. They care about obscene and very quick profits. I would guess the research is about as limited as that of Big Pharma today.

The world better wake up pretty pronto and actually take the time and trouble to work with nature to solve our problems. or maybe don't create the problems in the first place..Now there's a thought. Did we need trans fats? Did we need fake butter? Did we need whole counties ploughed up for cereal crops? Did we need that much beef? As the amount of food waste shows... No we didn't..
Old Mar 17th 2017, 11:58 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Copper sulphate is really effective. I add 4 floz to 5000 gallons in a pool and thats no mould for 3 months. Excellent, lot less impactful than the other chemicals like bleach used.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

No Comment

GMO Inside | The Rundown on Glyphosate
Old Apr 6th 2017, 10:51 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but it just works...

Because of the way it prevents plants feeding, here in t'tropics i can honestly say 50% glyphosate [mostly chinese producers, costs about 15 us a litre] is one of the few herbicides that can control and after 2-3 applications over a year can actually kill the huge table bushes/small trees we have. Looks like it can kill a thorn tree too, and they can kill you...
Old Apr 6th 2017, 12:07 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in SE Asia where in the two countries I visited changing agricultural practices are having a serious impact .
Rice paddies once in addition to its crops were also a source of fish, frogs etc which supplemented the diet.
Now the use of chemicals is having a serious effect with workers now having to use their limited income to purchase foodstuffs which were once freely available.
The number of wild birds which also used the paddies has plummeted.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 1:36 pm

Absolutely true that both fertilisers and pest/herbicides have to be used in a controlled manner, here we have magnificent birds lizards frogs etc, one great indicator is lizards. They are near the top of their food chain and are susceptable to all sorts of nasties. If they are healthy and abundant, chances are good... same for big birds like owls and kites, lots... Mosquito control is important, but there are larvicide bacteria available you can actually use in a pond with fish, very specific action.

Farmers arent generally that rich here, i once asked how much granulated citrus fertilizer to use on oranges limes mangos etc. For less than knee high, the answer was 7 granules.... However for a big bearing tree its half a kilo twice a year which is a lot, but the fruit..... Those trees are usually never sprayed with anything, the birds and the bees all get their share except with limes and pineapples which are too well protected.

The plants that get the chemicals are 'short' crops like tomatoes and lettice that the bugs of all sorts here adore. Mostly synthetic pyrethrins copper and malathion.

A neighbour. https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmGOE7Vj85OKmQ0v80KompZ90vT5

Last edited by uk_grenada; Apr 6th 2017 at 1:41 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is going to be so interesting, the verdict will be broadcast live , you can view using a link enclosed below on 18th April @ 14.00 GMT

International Monsanto Tribunal - April 2017
Old Apr 14th 2017, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Our neighbour has just been spraying weedkiller. (it has a distinctive 'wet wool' smell to me) using the workmen who were mending the calcados to do it. Obviously experts!!? We were down by the pool and we could smell great waves of it as it blew across us .No doubt we will find some plants on our side of the fence got doused as well. Hopefully the dog escaped this time. But did we?
Old Apr 14th 2017, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Spraying chemicals on a windy day is not ok.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 1:22 pm

Unless you are upwind of the issue and know how far its going [i live where the breeze is constant and pretty much always in the same direction...]
Old Apr 15th 2017, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Unless you are upwind of the issue and know how far its going [i live where the breeze is constant and pretty much always in the same direction...]
Lucky you
Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Well worth a read

International Monsanto Tribunal - April 2017

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.