Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Inside Info VVIS, Lagos, Luz, Burgau etc etc etc

Inside Info VVIS, Lagos, Luz, Burgau etc etc etc

Old Oct 9th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Inside Info VVIS, Lagos, Luz, Burgau etc etc etc

http://search.knightfrank.com/SAD090007M
The above property for sale is no more than 5 mins from VVIS. I live on the same estate and I can assure you that even in the height of summer it is very quiet. I have no connection with above house I am just using it as an example.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 9:45 am
Just Joined

SharonODubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow thats very encouraging - we will be based in Ferragudo near Portimao for a while as we have a small (very small) cottage there - the idea is to take our time and find the right location for us but having seen that it may be quicker than we though - thanks brodev.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.villa4sale.org.uk/
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks for this but we need 4 bedrooms as a minimum.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Luz isn't so bad but I still hate it. I live on the outskirts of Luz, still haven't decided if I want to stay in Luz or live outside.

G
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Oh meant to say the head of Barlavento school is the wife of Andy who has Burgau sports club, Andy also teaches sport at Barlavento and most days after school there is a club either tennis or football so Andy takes the kids from Barlavento direct to Burgau in his mini bus. The clubs cost 3-4 euros per day.
Hi - Do you have any contact details for Andy at the Burgau Sports club. I would like to speak to him about getting our kids into the sports clubs.

Thanks. Sharon
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.algarvesports.com/Site/Sports_Centre.html
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

I would just go there after 4:30pm he should be there, you don't need to sign them up you just play and pay.

G
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Tony.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steppitoe
Tried following your link but the page is blank!

Regards

Tony.M
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

cupcakes31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Phoenix and Barlavento have no formal affiliation. Phoenix was recently renamed and changed location following some legal disputes in acquiring its license (I think!) Barlavento is only a primary school; Phoenix only a secondary home learning company. VVIS has some great reviews such as their 100% Pass rate for the last 6 years and 100% University offer rate. I suppose if you want the best academically, VVIS is hands down the best in the Algarve. If your child is more into athletics, the Porches school is better, but much more expensive. As for Barlavento, Portuguese is taught as a second language so should not be compared to VVIS (bilingual primary). Porches has a similar programme for Kindergarten. My child goes to VVIS, so I may be a bit partial! But I can assure you that I have only heard excellent reviews of the school and its teachers etc.

Last edited by cupcakes31; Dec 9th 2010 at 5:20 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks Cupcakes31, I really did like VVIS but thought it may be a bit small for our kids and also it would have been a 40min drive each way - I know they have busses but still its a long journey for the kids. We are going to try them at the Lagoa school and see how they get on, if they sink in the first few months I will definitely move them to VVIS.

Thanks for the feedback though xxx
Old Dec 10th 2010, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

No problem. The Porches (Lagoa) school has some good reviews too. I'm glad you made an informed decision! Good luck and welcome to Portugal.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

sunchild is just really nicesunchild is just really nicesunchild is just really nicesunchild is just really nicesunchild is just really nicesunchild is just really nicesunchild is just really nicesunchild is just really nice

Originally Posted by SharonODubai
Hi,

My kids will be 13 (going into grade 9), 11 (going into grade 7) and 7 (going into grade 3)

I like VVIS because it caters for all of them.

I will look at the other school you mentioned also.

Many thanks

xxx
Hello there. I know this is an old thread but you seem like the perfect person to ask....

I have a girl 13/ boy 9 and we are considering the same school.
how are they liking the change from uk schools and the golden question is the school any good?

hope you reply
Sunchild
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi SunChild

Well we are not actually there yet - we leave Dubai in the summer so will start in Portugal at the beginning of the 2011/12 school year.

As for the schools we did look at the VVIS but thought it may be a little too small for our kids, also it is a good 40mins from where we will have to move to to start off with so we felt that journey may be too much for them.

I think we have almost settled for the Porches school as its local to us and the facilities are great - if they dont settle there we will move them to VVIS.

Most of the schools are under subscribed so you can take your pick.

May I ask why you chose VVIS????
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sunchild,

I'm thrilled with the quality of teaching and facilities at VVIS. As Sharon mentions, it is a small school, however not much smaller than Porches International section. The majority of students at Porches are in the Portuguese section. VVIS does have a strict(ish) admissions policy which includes an interview and exam. Both schools are good, but I suppose it depends where in the Algarve you decide to settle and how much you are prepared to spend on fees. Compared to the UK, VVIS compares with UK independant schools in terms of results and atmosphere. I'm not sure about Porches, perhaps someone else on here knows? I recommend visiting both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.