British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Inside Info VVIS, Lagos, Luz, Burgau etc etc etc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/inside-info-vvis-lagos-luz-burgau-etc-etc-etc-688427/)

SharonODubai Oct 6th 2010 2:33 pm

Inside Info VVIS, Lagos, Luz, Burgau etc etc etc

Hello there,

I think I have settled on VVIS (any comments please) but would like some info on the practicalities of the area, could someone please tell me where's best for;

Supermarket,

Clothes shopping - I know there is the big 'Algarve shopping centre' near Leroy Merlins in Guia but is there somewhere similar further west?

Estate agents - we will be selling up in the UK eventually (in the meantime we will be staying in our holiday house in Ferragudo, which is a bit of a trek but its the only option).

Sports club for tennis, football and karate (or do they generally do these sorts of things at the school?) also a riding school for kids and adults.

Nearest good hospital

And some general info on the area, I am over in PT next week to visit the school and make my final decisions and also to have a good look around the area so some good tips would be very handy.

Oh, and I may also want a dog - are there animal rescue places or breeders in the area.

Many thanks

PS anyone out there fancy being my guide for a few hours haha??

zanzina Oct 7th 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Inside Info VVIS, Lagos, Luz, Burgau etc etc etc

Ok here goes..Luz has a very English supermarket called Baptista where you will get everything, but imported things are pricey. For general main shopping go to Lagos and you have a good selection of larger supermarkets...pingo Doce, Intermarche and Lidl to name a few...
Clothes shopping head for Portimao, they have a C and A plus plenty of other shops to keep you happy, there is also a huge complex in its construction, ready I think next year that will be bigger than Algarve Shopping. Portimao is 20 mins from Luz.
So many estate agents in Luz, you can-t miss them but look for bargains in 123 paper every Thursday.
You have a sports centre in Burgau, guy called Andy, great for tennis, squash etc... otherwise quite a few health clubs in Luz.
Football is all played at the schools and possibly martial arts.
Good hospital in Lagos, private one is great if you want to pay and not wait all day. Luz doc in Luz for a doctor also Otto Johannsen up the road is very helpful.

We lived in Luz for several years, now moved to the hills, it still has lovely beaches in the summer and winter, great for dogwalking but my advice would be to watch out for over the top expat friends you might find, who want you to join their drinking club and if you are not careful you will be having gin and tonics at 10.30 every morning, every day!!!

O finally Tiffanys for riding stables in Almadena will have all you want.

Good luck and welcome

Supremegermalene Oct 7th 2010 7:28 pm

Zanzina has covered mostly everything, football is either at Burgau sports centre or if they are serious about it then there is a club Esperanca in Lagos for the real serious and strict players....however the kids will not be able to play in matches unless they have a PT ID card/passport (yes to keep out the expats!!) but there is a much friendlier club the other side of Lagos in Odiaxere. Training is twice a week with matches on the Saturday. I think Karate is only in Lagos.

What draws you to VVIS? Have you also considered the Phoenix school? It's now based in Aljezur but there is a bus that takes the kids there and back and it gets very good local feedback, VVIS feedback is varied.

There is supposedly a Primark opening in the new shopping centre in Guia :eek:, otherwise you have to go to C&A, Modalfa, independant shops in Lagos, I personally like Salsa/Zara/Bershka in Guia or Faro but it all depends on your personal taste.

Personally I would avoid Lagos hospital if possible and head straight to Portimao, not had great personal experiences such as telling me my son's collar bone wasn't broken only for me to discover 9 days later it was. The bonus with Lagos is you are seen quicker than in Portimao.

SharonODubai Oct 8th 2010 5:44 am

Thanks you both so much for this info - I had originally thought that Luz/Burgau would be a bit of a back-water but it looks like it would be very well set up - I will be having a really good look around next week.

Pheonix School?? Not heard of that one - do you have more info/feedback.

I have only found good things about VVIS where should I be looking for a good overview??

Many thanks again.

Sx

PS G&T at 10.30?? Well not EVERY day ...

SharonODubai Oct 8th 2010 6:10 am

Actually had a look at the Phoenix school - is it only secondary level ???

Supremegermalene Oct 8th 2010 11:50 am

How old are your kids? I think Phoenix is only 10yrs up but not sure. VVIS has only had a junior section recently so I forgot younger kids could go there. My son went to Barlavento, I really like the school but took him out as he's half Portuguese and by being in a Brit environment wasn't picking up the language as I'd hoped. Our intention is to stay here so in order for him to have the best prospects he has to be educated in Portuguese schools otherwise you just don't get the depth of vocabulary you need or the writing skills. The only way of getting true feedback is to be around mums whose kids have been to the school. I've heard negative stories re. VVIS at the school gates, but also know kids that are perfectly happy there.

Luz & Burgau are backwaters compared to eg greater London you do have to travel, no such thing as popping to boots, no department stores...but you get used to going without then after a while realise you never needed all the extra things you had before.

Supremegermalene Oct 8th 2010 11:57 am

Oh meant to say the head of Barlavento school is the wife of Andy who has Burgau sports club, Andy also teaches sport at Barlavento and most days after school there is a club either tennis or football so Andy takes the kids from Barlavento direct to Burgau in his mini bus. The clubs cost 3-4 euros per day.

SharonODubai Oct 8th 2010 12:24 pm

Hi,

My kids will be 13 (going into grade 9), 11 (going into grade 7) and 7 (going into grade 3)

I like VVIS because it caters for all of them.

I will look at the other school you mentioned also.

Many thanks

xxx

SharonODubai Oct 8th 2010 12:30 pm

OK - getting a bit confused here, is the Barlavento primary school affiliated with the Phoenix secondary - or am I being dumb??

I also liked the VVIS as part of the curriculum in the primary section is taught in Portuguese and for my 6 year old I thought that would be a great introduction to the language. Can you tell me what percentage of the Barlavento/Phoenix curriculum is taught in Portuguese.

xxx

Supremegermalene Oct 8th 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Barlavento has nothing to do with Phoenix, Barlavento is primary school Phoenix secondary. Phoenix school was set up by the original teachers that worked at VVIS, the head changed, they left and set up their own school.

VVIS have both primary and secondary.

Barlavento has Portuguese lessons daily, have no idea about Phoenix.

SharonODubai Oct 8th 2010 2:01 pm

Thank you so much Supremegermalene - it looks as though I will be very busy looking at schools next week.

BTW I am very happy to hear that Luz and Burgau are quiet I currently live is Dubai and its so busy that you can hardly catch your breath sometimes!!

xxx

Supremegermalene Oct 8th 2010 2:39 pm

One of my best friends is there too but she loves it, don't think she's going to move back to the UK.

G

steppitoe Oct 8th 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by SharonODubai (Post 8905020)
Thank you so much Supremegermalene - it looks as though I will be very busy looking at schools next week.

BTW I am very happy to hear that Luz and Burgau are quiet I currently live is Dubai and its so busy that you can hardly catch your breath sometimes!!

xxx

We have friends who are currently trying to get out of Burgau as the parking in the Summer drives them crazy. Make sure you buy a property with a driveway!

PubChampion Oct 8th 2010 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by steppitoe (Post 8905217)
Make sure you buy a property with a driveway!

Good point, only in Burgau that's not enough. I once spent half-an-hour trying to get out. People block the narrow streets to pop in somewhere, and you have to get them out of there in order to get out of the bloody place.

Make sure you buy a property with an easy access!

SharonODubai Oct 9th 2010 3:29 am

Thanks for the tip - I am sure that happens a lot in the centers of these little villages - we are a family of 6 so will need a large property so will probably have to buy 'out-of-town' somewhere. Is Luz easier to get about in during the summer?