IMI Payment

Old Mar 30th 2017, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Dal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: IMI Payment

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
As Campanula says, it's relatively foolproof.

You need to look for the section in your online banking for Pagamentos ao Estado (payments to the state) or similar (not just the usual payments/transfers section). This will require the unique 15-digit reference, amount and probably the owner's Fiscal No for each bill (if the property is 'jointly' owned there will be more than one bill for each fraction). No payee bank account details are required, so you can't get that bit wrong. Some banks apparently don't ask for the owner's fiscal number but mine does.

Some Portuguese banks' online systems, if operated with English menus, omit this section from their menus (as if English speakers don't have to pay taxes ), so check the Portuguese version too. Use Google Chrome to help with required translation, if needed. For this sort of job I find that sticking to Portuguese throughout means that the words on the screen match the words on the bill, so it's easier to tell what goes where.

Generally you need to enter the fiscal number and payment reference numbers without any spaces and remember that the Portuguese use a comma (ie 12,34€ rather than 12.34€).
Hi Richard, just wanted to double check with you before I mess it up, on my account both in English and Portuguese it has an option "Payments, State, Taxes (Pagamentos, Estado, Impostos) then just two boxes, the reference number and the amount.

I am presuming it will know it is an IMI payment by the reference number and that would be how it would differentiate between the type of tax being paid. Just wanted to make sure before I commit the "vast amount" of 320 euros!!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

You're in the right place and if that's all it asks for then that's all you need.

If you have online access you can check (in a few days) that it has been applied correctly by following the appropriate options here.

Remember that if you have multiple invoices or multiple instalments they must each be paid separately with their own unique reference number.

You have until the end of April to get it right.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

i just had some fun investigating ImI - annual property tax
in theory its between 0.3 and 0.5% of the value of your house
but this has a very uniquely Portuguese formula applied to it
VT = VC x A x Ca x Cl x Cq x Cv

Here is the meaning of each of the acronyms:

VT = tax net worth;
VC = the basic value of buildings built;
A = gross construction area plus area surplus to the deployment area;
Ca = coefficient of affectation;
Cl = coefficient of location;
Cq = coefficient of quality and comfort;
Cv = coefficient of age.
as they say on their website - easy to calculate

what actually made me smile was two things -
- Cascais and Sintra - two of the most expensive towns in Portugal - where a large proportion of the wealthiest Portuguese families and Portuguese politicians live have the lowest imi rates 0.3
Sintra in addition gave a rebate last year and said its council had too much money
Also Portugal encourages bonking - officially - 3 or more children gets you a 20% reduction off your imi
Old Mar 30th 2017, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Who's got the lowest bill then? Mine was posted to the UK arrived 2 days ago, and was €48 (house is in the Centro region)
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
Who's got the lowest bill then? Mine was posted to the UK arrived 2 days ago, and was €48 (house is in the Centro region)
Is that your property tax of €48 for one month, quarter, half-year or 12 months?

What type of property is it (house, farm, villa, apartment), number of bedrooms, size, land size if applicable & the location?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Is that your property tax of €48 for one month, quarter, half-year or 12 months?

What type of property is it (house, farm, villa, apartment), number of bedrooms, size, land size if applicable & the location?
I'll be honest, I've no idea how long it's for. I assume it's either 6 months or a year. I'm assuming that as it's so low it's not worth them splitting in half.

It a small cottage, just a couple of beds, and 1/3 acre land

As I said, it's in the Centro region, near Castelo Branco
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Is that your property tax of €48 for one month, quarter, half-year or 12 months? ...
It's €48 per year for Knoxy_UK's share of the property. If the annual share is more than €250 annually it's split into two instalments (or even three, if over €500 annually).
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:10 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Richard @ post #40, thanks

Knoxy_UK @ post #39

Well done, that is low property tax. No wonder what you posted previously about 1/24th of what you pay in the UK.

Do confirm that it's liveable accommodation with electricity & water & not just a shed on a piece of land (joking of course)?

That's less than what the ground rent and/or council tax on a caravan in a holiday park in the UK is, even less than a allotment plot rental
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
VT = VC x A x Ca x Cl x Cq x Cv

Here is the meaning of each of the acronyms:

VT = tax net worth;
VC = the basic value of buildings built;
A = gross construction area plus area surplus to the deployment area;
Ca = coefficient of affectation;
Cl = coefficient of location;
Cq = coefficient of quality and comfort;
Cv = coefficient of age.
Are you all aware that as a property ages the VT (Valor Patrimonial Tributário) can be reduced because the Cv coefficient reduces? However you have to specifically ask for a re-evaluation. There are simulators available that allow you to check whether the new value would be higher or lower, before you commit. Of course, if you have previously undeclared modifications to your property you may prefer to keep quiet.

A property over 80 years old pays 35% of the otherwise identical new-build, last time I looked.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Do confirm that it's liveable accommodation with electricity & water & not just a shed on a piece of land (joking of course)?

That's less than what the ground rent and/or council tax on a caravan in a holiday park in the UK is, even less than a allotment plot rental
It's a stone property, build in 1920's. Oh and yes it has power, water, and a flushable loo, and better phone signal than when I'm in the UK

Oh, and RichardHenshall, thanks for your info, would hate to have to pay that twice in one year.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:25 pm
Dichotomus tinker

It's a stone property, build in 1920's. Oh and yes it has power, water, and a flushable loo, and better phone signal than when I'm in the UK

Oh, and RichardHenshall, thanks for your info, would hate to have to pay that twice in one year.

that was so funny Knoxy, 'bloody cheek of it' on the twice per year, imagine having to pay €96/yr.

Will you ever at some point move most of your time or do the 50/50 to PT?

Seeing that you spend (guessing) part year in PT, what are your utility costs for the total year... Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage etc?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

that was so funny Knoxy, 'bloody cheek of it' on the twice per year, imagine having to pay €96/yr.

Will you ever at some point move most of your time or do the 50/50 to PT?

Seeing that you spend (guessing) part year in PT, what are your utility costs for the total year... Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage etc?

Plan is to live full time out here, but with boys in their final years of gcse's I have to wait until they're 18 til I can leave home.

Electric is around €9 a month, most of that is standing charge. We have a font around 75 metres from the cottage, so water meter is used to flush the loo only. Heating is a log burner, and logs come from the local woods, garbage cost? No ones mentioned a bill for rubbish, it all goes in the Village communal bin.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

... No ones mentioned a bill for rubbish, it all goes in the Village communal bin.
Rubbish is charged as an element of the water bills, the more water you buy the more you pay for rubbish.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Rubbish is charged as an element of the water bills, the more water you buy the more you pay for rubbish.

A strange way to calculate rubbish collection fees, but certainly explains why the font is the centre of activity on a warm summers evening. Peeps come from other villages to ours as the water is apparently superb.

Old Apr 1st 2017, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently drinking spring water is a strong cultural element here in Portugal.
I was way up in the mountains in Monchique, a spring where people were continuously driving up to collect drinking water.
I was told people have strong preferences for this.

Drinking water is usually a small component of your home water usage. Most is used for washing and flushing.

I got my first IMI bill yesterday [after 9 years] I suppose I'd better open it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.