Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Getting NIF / Resident Certificate Without A Tenants Agreement?

Getting NIF / Resident Certificate Without A Tenants Agreement?

Old Oct 22nd 2017, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Getting NIF / Resident Certificate Without A Tenants Agreement?

Originally Posted by Ninmurai
Yes, mine was a simple black and white PDF printed from my online UK bank account.
Thanks!
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

My Residence Certificate they just took my word for my Portuguese address, although some people have been asked for their rental contract or declaration from the local Parish

I'm a bit confused about this, as I thought that it was the local parish that you went to for registering for residency?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 11:52 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko
I'm a bit confused about this, as I thought that it was the local parish that you went to for registering for residency?
No - it's the Câmara Municipal, the equivalent of the local council you do the residency certificate at. There's still another layer below that in local administration here, the Junta de Freguesia, which you approach for some matters, such as confirming residence should you be asked to.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

No - it's the Câmara Municipal, the equivalent of the local council you do the residency certificate at. There's still another layer below that in local administration here, the Junta de Freguesia, which you approach for some matters, such as confirming residence should you be asked to.
Thanks for this extra information.

So the Câmara Municipal and the Junta de Freguesia are different buildings.

How would the Junta de Freguesia know what my address was?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ninmurai is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't done it myself, but I understand you need to get a couple of people (possibly neighbours) to verbally testify you live where you claim you do, and you sign the document under oath.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 3:05 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Similar to the UK - town council and parish council - each have their allotted roles. Since the junta is the parish council equivalent, they're more likely to deal with specifics about you and your residence, as the camara is the executive for the whole municipality.

Sometimes it's confusing - to get planning permission for building you'll need to go to the camara, but to get a dog license they'll send you to the junta (or at least, that's how it works out for me.....)
Old Oct 27th 2017, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ninmurai
I haven't done it myself, but I understand you need to get a couple of people (possibly neighbours) to verbally testify you live where you claim you do, and you sign the document under oath.
Only if you want to become resident without a tenants agreement, I suppose.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

For the registration as a resident, do I need to go to the Camara Municipal of the place of my temporary stay in a holiday home or can I go to the camara of the place where I will buy a house?

Do I need to proof that I have sufficient income/ savings? What kind of proof is needed?

Last edited by Pilou; Nov 21st 2017 at 11:16 am.