Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Ambient air device (assumed scam)

Ambient air device (assumed scam)

Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:03 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ambient air device (assumed scam)

My wife mentioned to me yesterday evening at the last minute that someone was coming around later to give us an ambient atmosphere something or other device.

I was a bit puzzled. She explained that a colleague had recommended her for this, that it was completely free, and that apparently all we had to do was sign some paper to say we understood something or other, the effect it had on the air, or something like this.

Now obviously this all set off a quite loud 'scam alert' for me. I'm a bit embarrassed really that my wife couldn't see the obvious flaw with a business plan that involves going round giving lifestyle devices out for free, and she just kept coming back with "but that's what my friend said". Eventually she got a bit upset with me and cancelled the visit. Phew.

I said to her wait two months and then ask her friend, and pretty sure by then she'll have discovered exactly how this thing works and what the catch is.

Just interested if anyone has experience of this and knows exactly how this particular scam works? I am assuming it's either a couple of hours of hard sell to purchase some add-ons or maintenance plan or whatever, or that the contract you sign is actually some kind of commitment to pay them something at some point.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ambient air device (assumed scam)

Originally Posted by captainflack
My wife mentioned to me yesterday evening at the last minute that someone was coming around later to give us an ambient atmosphere something or other device.

I was a bit puzzled. She explained that a colleague had recommended her for this, that it was completely free, and that apparently all we had to do was sign some paper to say we understood something or other, the effect it had on the air, or something like this.

Now obviously this all set off a quite loud 'scam alert' for me. I'm a bit embarrassed really that my wife couldn't see the obvious flaw with a business plan that involves going round giving lifestyle devices out for free, and she just kept coming back with "but that's what my friend said". Eventually she got a bit upset with me and cancelled the visit. Phew.

I said to her wait two months and then ask her friend, and pretty sure by then she'll have discovered exactly how this thing works and what the catch is.

Just interested if anyone has experience of this and knows exactly how this particular scam works? I am assuming it's either a couple of hours of hard sell to purchase some add-ons or maintenance plan or whatever, or that the contract you sign is actually some kind of commitment to pay them something at some point.
Not the same "scam" but a common one is these water filter systems, they come test your water and do demos that makes your water look disgusting then convince you that you need the filter system for 2.5k or so. A friend of mine almost signed up but done some googling 1st and found the exact same system online and bought it for 180€!
Old Oct 24th 2017, 1:06 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I did ask my wife what exactly is wrong with our air at present. We live in the countryside, lots of fresh air and birds singing. On the list of things we need, something to do something or other to the air doesn't seem to be a top priority.

More than anything, I'm a bit worried my wife wouldn't smell a rat here. It's so obvious there is more to this than some company giving away things free of charge. I think we're going to have to have the talk again about unsolicited emails telling us we've won some lottery we never entered, or offering opportunties for laundering money for nigerian princes.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

I did ask my wife what exactly is wrong with our air at present. We live in the countryside, lots of fresh air and birds singing. On the list of things we need, something to do something or other to the air doesn't seem to be a top priority.

More than anything, I'm a bit worried my wife wouldn't smell a rat here. It's so obvious there is more to this than some company giving away things free of charge. I think we're going to have to have the talk again about unsolicited emails telling us we've won some lottery we never entered, or offering opportunties for laundering money for nigerian princes.
It is a constant worry for the male in the family having to worry what the female may be up to.

Awaits the bra burning brigade😃
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Now obviously this all set off a quite loud 'scam alert' for me. I'm a bit embarrassed really that my wife couldn't see the obvious flaw with a business plan that involves going round giving lifestyle devices out for free, ....
My guess would be HEPA (air) filter device, where the business makes its revenue by selling replacement filters.