WAPOL pension

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

fadsie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WAPOL pension

I wondered if someone could help. I am trying to plan ahead (without tempting fate). I have 5 and a half years of pension contributions from uk force. If I am successful and join WAPOL I intend to freeze my pension over here and start again over there. Can anyone tell me if WAPOL have a pension scheme in operation or is it just the superannuation I read about. If this is the case how good is the superannuation? I am pretty useless about pensions knowledge wise I just pay every month and get on with it. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:49 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WAPOL pension

From my research, it's only superannuation. It's non contributory, they pay in 9%, however you can top it up if you want. It's not like our pensions though. It's your pension, not the jobs, so should you leave the police in the future, you take this 'pension' with you and your new employer will pay into it, rather than starting a new job specific pension.

I'm sure others will be more knowledgeable than me, but that's what I've found out so far.

I'm in 15 1/2 years and, likewise, my pension here will be frozen should I leave. I do intend to look very closely into the positives/negatives of transferring it over into the superannuation fund, or leaving it in the UK and then transfer it over on retirement age.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Phantasm139 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fadsie1
I wondered if someone could help. I am trying to plan ahead (without tempting fate). I have 5 and a half years of pension contributions from uk force. If I am successful and join WAPOL I intend to freeze my pension over here and start again over there. Can anyone tell me if WAPOL have a pension scheme in operation or is it just the superannuation I read about. If this is the case how good is the superannuation? I am pretty useless about pensions knowledge wise I just pay every month and get on with it. Can anyone help?

Thanks
They cover it all in the presentation m8. Very informative I thought.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

fadsie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks mate. Silly question what did everyone wear to the presentation? Smart or casual?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Superannuation is the name they give in Aus to what we know as a pension scheme.
Only advice I can give beyond that ( as I am a financial numbskull!) is - if you are going to transfer your UK pension into the WAPOL Super scheme, be VERY certain that you are going to stay here before you do so. Transferring back is a lot harder, and every transfer costs money. So be sure you are committed before you make a decision.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks mate. Silly question what did everyone wear to the presentation? Smart or casual?
A bit of a mix but the majority went with smart casual as did I. Its very informal.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

VikkiShields is an unknown quantity at this point

At the meeting do they discuss schooling, housing, moving your things over partners job opportunities etc or is it purely WAPOL information. I am really keen to attend with my partner as I want to ask questions and find out info that he may not necessary remember to ask but I will be 38 weeks pregnant and have been told I go go into labour anytime from now.
Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by VikkiShields
At the meeting do they discuss schooling, housing, moving your things over partners job opportunities etc or is it purely WAPOL information. I am really keen to attend with my partner as I want to ask questions and find out info that he may not necessary remember to ask but I will be 38 weeks pregnant and have been told I go go into labour anytime from now.
Thanks
They cover it all, however not much on the schooling. They tell you were is decent to live so that narrows it down a lot. But they answered all our questions. We defo came away knowing a hell of a lot more.