Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Plumber or Bathroom fitter?

Plumber or Bathroom fitter?

Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

bluecob99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Plumber or Bathroom fitter?

Hi everyone,
It's nice to have the chance to ask some important questions and maybe get an answer! I currently have a family of 5; my wife and I and our small flock of 3. We are very eager to go to Australia and work, but as we know it's not so straight forward. I am a general plumber, tiler and bathroom fitter and been running my own business for 15 years. I was employed for 6 years previously when I was taught the trade as an apprentice (although I don't have formal qulaification). I am due to go on the Vetassess test in May, the problem is as I am not currently Corgi registered, l don't have a great deal of experience in gas. Similarly in acetylene welding. The question is - has anyone done this course recently and was it straight forward, or should l consider a different section ie. floor and wall tiling as it's also a wanted occupation in Oz. Anyway, look forward to some useful tips?
Thanks!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Plumber or Bathroom fitter?

hi, pm me your email addresse and ill give you some info.
john
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:44 am
Just Joined

bluecob99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi John,
Thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated, unfortunately being new member l can't send you a pm yet, so hoping you read this, here's my email address. [email protected]
many thanks
Will.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:09 am
Just Joined

daviec13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Plumber or Bathroom fitter?

Hi there. All very new to this but I've just read your post and I find myself in a very similar situation. I too have been running my own bathroom installation business for 7 years and been in the trade for over 20 years but have no formal qualifications. I have passed the paper assessment and I am due to sit my general plumbing practical this May. Have you found out any information regarding the practical, especially the roof plumber part as I have not done any of this type of work for years!!! Any information you could pass on would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

CHRIS.B and EMMA.T is just really niceCHRIS.B and EMMA.T is just really niceCHRIS.B and EMMA.T is just really niceCHRIS.B and EMMA.T is just really niceCHRIS.B and EMMA.T is just really niceCHRIS.B and EMMA.T is just really niceCHRIS.B and EMMA.T is just really niceCHRIS.B and EMMA.T is just really nice

hey guys

i also have the practical in may and am bricking it abit on wot were gonna have to do,because like yourselves i do not have my gas only my NVQL3 and havnt realy done much roofing either.if anyone can give me any advise on this i would be much gratefull.

cheers

chris
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Beretta682 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all Plumbers

I have a dilema? I am a Plumber with papers,also I do kitchens ,bathrooms tiling and a little gas work (although not ACS or Corgi ).I am living in Florida at the moment and moving back to the UK in two months but not sure I want to go home.I have family in Perth and want a better life for the family same as we all do.I have been out of the game for 3 years as I had my own landscape business in florida,the lady from the aus embassy said that if I had not been working in my trade for the last 3 years it was not worth me applying even with qualifications.Its like riding a bike you dont forget your trade.

HELP

Rick