British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/)
-   -   Plumber or Bathroom fitter? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/plumbers-119/plumber-bathroom-fitter-659706/)

bluecob99 Mar 16th 2010 7:29 pm

Plumber or Bathroom fitter?

Hi everyone,
It's nice to have the chance to ask some important questions and maybe get an answer! I currently have a family of 5; my wife and I and our small flock of 3. We are very eager to go to Australia and work, but as we know it's not so straight forward. I am a general plumber, tiler and bathroom fitter and been running my own business for 15 years. I was employed for 6 years previously when I was taught the trade as an apprentice (although I don't have formal qulaification). I am due to go on the Vetassess test in May, the problem is as I am not currently Corgi registered, l don't have a great deal of experience in gas. Similarly in acetylene welding. The question is - has anyone done this course recently and was it straight forward, or should l consider a different section ie. floor and wall tiling as it's also a wanted occupation in Oz. Anyway, look forward to some useful tips?
Thanks!

johnknight001 Mar 19th 2010 6:09 am

Re: Plumber or Bathroom fitter?

hi, pm me your email addresse and ill give you some info.
john

bluecob99 Mar 19th 2010 8:44 am

Hi John,
Thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated, unfortunately being new member l can't send you a pm yet, so hoping you read this, here's my email address. [email protected]
many thanks
Will.

daviec13 Apr 25th 2010 11:09 am

Hi there. All very new to this but I've just read your post and I find myself in a very similar situation. I too have been running my own bathroom installation business for 7 years and been in the trade for over 20 years but have no formal qualifications. I have passed the paper assessment and I am due to sit my general plumbing practical this May. Have you found out any information regarding the practical, especially the roof plumber part as I have not done any of this type of work for years!!! Any information you could pass on would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.:)

CHRIS.B and EMMA.T May 6th 2010 10:07 pm

hey guys

i also have the practical in may and am bricking it abit on wot were gonna have to do:confused:,because like yourselves i do not have my gas only my NVQL3 and havnt realy done much roofing either.if anyone can give me any advise on this i would be much gratefull.

cheers

chris:thumbup:

Beretta682 May 22nd 2010 3:27 pm

Hi all Plumbers

I have a dilema? I am a Plumber with papers,also I do kitchens ,bathrooms tiling and a little gas work (although not ACS or Corgi ).I am living in Florida at the moment and moving back to the UK in two months but not sure I want to go home.I have family in Perth and want a better life for the family same as we all do.I have been out of the game for 3 years as I had my own landscape business in florida,the lady from the aus embassy said that if I had not been working in my trade for the last 3 years it was not worth me applying even with qualifications.Its like riding a bike you dont forget your trade.

HELP:frown:

Rick