Me and My Family

Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Me and My Family

When I heard that the a/c was a potential entry point, I went and checked it. No way would it budge an inch no matter how much I tried. It is held in place by a large cast iron support cage cemented to the wall. Now, the only way to shift this would be for a number of strong men which would take time and certainly wouldn't be a quiet operation. I would have thought a metal security grill would also hamper any servicing or repairs to the unit if it was concreted to the outside wall.

We did think about dogs, but as been mentioned here and locally, poisoned meat is sometimes used.

I think our biggest deterrent are the 2 CCTV cameras complete with warning signs.

But lets face it, if someone is determined to get into your house....they will. Ok, we have deterrents only and hopefully someone looking for easy pickings will go elsewhere.

The two weak points in my house are these: If someone clambers over the wall during the evening they can get in by simply sticking a gun through the open window and demand that the door be opened. Also....someone with a pair of bolt cutters and a jemmy can get into the back door in about 5 minutes. I have not info'd my lovely lady for fear of a new door....moat ....and sealed bullet proof windows.

I agree that the bars over the windows can make the house into a fire-trap. I don't like them.

Regards

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:48 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

When I heard that the a/c was a potential entry point, I went and checked it. No way would it budge an inch no matter how much I tried. It is held in place by a large cast iron support cage cemented to the wall. Now, the only way to shift this would be for a number of strong men which would take time and certainly wouldn't be a quiet operation. I would have thought a metal security grill would also hamper any servicing or repairs to the unit if it was concreted to the outside wall.

We did think about dogs, but as been mentioned here and locally, poisoned meat is sometimes used.

I think our biggest deterrent are the 2 CCTV cameras complete with warning signs.

But lets face it, if someone is determined to get into your house....they will. Ok, we have deterrents only and hopefully someone looking for easy pickings will go elsewhere.

The two weak points in my house are these: If someone clambers over the wall during the evening they can get in by simply sticking a gun through the open window and demand that the door be opened. Also....someone with a pair of bolt cutters and a jemmy can get into the back door in about 5 minutes. I have not info'd my lovely lady for fear of a new door....moat ....and sealed bullet proof windows.

I agree that the bars over the windows can make the house into a fire-trap. I don't like them.

Regards
Our dogs, 2 big guys and a small snappy one, where always kept inside the house. The small one was the one who woke up his big mates. Our dogs were known in the village, nobody tried to enter the house uninvited. You have better protection with dogs inside than keeping them outside where poisened meat etc. gets thrown over the wall. We spent many years in S.Africa.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 12th 2017 at 12:19 am.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

''When I heard that the a/c was a potential entry point, I went and checked it. No way would it budge an inch no matter how much I tried. It is held in place by a large cast iron support cage cemented to the wall. Now, the only way to shift this would be for a number of strong men which would take time and certainly wouldn't be a quiet operation. I would have thought a metal security grill would also hamper any servicing or repairs to the unit if it was concreted to the outside wall.''

It is usual for the two screws holding the front of the air con to the metal case to be unscrewed so the air con slides into the room to be taken out for high water pressure hose cleaning. Not known a window unit to be cleaned or serviced from the outside.

Then again we have just installed an inverter style window unit, they may treat that differently.

Because construction is usually hollow block it is easy to break and give squeeze room to slide the units in and out. This is not going to happen whilst you are at home!!.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
My dogs are pets, but fiercely protective, they were feral puppies when I got them, I feed them well and they must still remember the teaspoon of rice a day diet. No one gets between them and their food. Poisoned meat is a problem as was told to me by the local police chief but I pointed to the dog bowls still with meat in them from the previous day he did admit that it was unlikely to be a problem for me.

Safety is what feels right for you and not how much or how little security you have installed
Not quite sure of the meaning of your message. Do you mean that your dogs don't eat meat at all and you only feed them rice?
Old Mar 16th 2017, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Mashael
Not quite sure of the meaning of your message. Do you mean that your dogs don't eat meat at all and you only feed them rice?
They get plenty of meat/bones/offal/tuna fish. When I first got them they eat everything within seconds, but now they have worked out that what goes in the dog bowl stays there so they are happy to pace themselves. Whatever is left over by the next feed time is put outside the gate for any of the local dogs to eat, gone in seconds. The local dogs can tell when it is 16:30 to the minute as can the the bravest chickens.

Local Robinsons do a good deal on chicken/pork & beef off-cuts at Ph66/Ph85 a kilo. When the guys serving found out I was buying it for the dogs, all I heard was "Lucky dogs, lucky dogs".
Old Mar 17th 2017, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Smile re: Me and My Family

They get plenty of meat/bones/offal/tuna fish. When I first got them they eat everything within seconds, but now they have worked out that what goes in the dog bowl stays there so they are happy to pace themselves. Whatever is left over by the next feed time is put outside the gate for any of the local dogs to eat, gone in seconds. The local dogs can tell when it is 16:30 to the minute as can the the bravest chickens.

Local Robinsons do a good deal on chicken/pork & beef off-cuts at Ph66/Ph85 a kilo. When the guys serving found out I was buying it for the dogs, all I heard was "Lucky dogs, lucky dogs".
Hmmm not sure about that. Ive always felt that if dogs don't everything in their bowl in one session you are giving them too much food...lol. Love the bit about the bravest chickens
Old Mar 17th 2017, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Mashael
Hmmm not sure about that. Ive always felt that if dogs don't everything in their bowl in one session you are giving them too much food...lol. Love the bit about the bravest chickens
You are quite right about the too much food, but better that than one taking a poisoned piece from over the fence, They do get long walks in the jungle each day so they do not get fat, unlike their owner. One of the brave chickens did not make it back home a few days ago after trying to get to the dogs bowl before the dog, so that was the next days dog food sorted.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Our dogs, 2 big guys and a small snappy one, where always kept inside the house. The small one was the one who woke up his big mates. Our dogs were known in the village, nobody tried to enter the house uninvited. You have better protection with dogs inside than keeping them outside where poisened meat etc. gets thrown over the wall. We spent many years in S.Africa.
Not too sure if keeping them inside or outside is the best. But having a small nervous ones is a great advantage. Our neighbour has two of these, so any barking from them sets mine off, which sets the two big ones up the road off.

Good gate design is another way to detour someone from breaking in. We can only lock our gates from the inside, so when we leave we have to put our hand(s) through the bars to place the padlock, so the only way someone can tell if we are at home or not is to brave it and put their hand through the bars and see if there is a padlock there along with a protective dog with teeth. With many of our friends, they leave the house and padlock on the outside of the gate, so a quick look and I can see if they are home or not.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that foreigners living in the Pilipinas have a perpetual fear of being robbed, burgled, conned and cheated !
Old Apr 8th 2017, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
It seems that foreigners living in the Pilipinas have a perpetual fear of being robbed, burgled, conned and cheated !
Yes and the locals. High levels of poverty make it dog eat dog.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Perpetual fear ? No. Depends on your mindset and life experiences.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
I hear where you are coming from Scot. I have visited Fils many times but haven't lived there full time yet. A lot of the posts certainly give the impression that high security measures are required. I have lived and worked overseas most of my adult life, the last many years in Dubai, which despite ones personal opinion of the religion, is surely one of the safest places in the world. I am reluctant to install security bars etc to my house there, hence I will see how things look when we move there full time later this year on my retirement.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

I think "perpetual fear" is an exaggeration. As in most other developing countries it is a question of common sense and being aware of how life is. Yes, I know I live in a Stalag but that's to keep my lovely lady happy. I wouldn't bother with the bars on the windows for instance or the machine gunner on the roof. I have come here to retire in peace....not looking over my shoulder every 5 minutes.

Regards

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:49 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think "perpetual fear" is an exaggeration. As in most other developing countries it is a question of common sense and being aware of how life is. Yes, I know I live in a Stalag but that's to keep my lovely lady happy. I wouldn't bother with the bars on the windows for instance or the machine gunner on the roof. I have come here to retire in peace....not looking over my shoulder every 5 minutes.

Regards
Agreed. It is all about perspectives, I used to live in the posh end of Aberdeen where my neighbours used to have automatic self locking gates, CCTV, motion sensors in and out side of the house and burglar alarms with links directly to the local police station and a security firm, some even investigated automatic window shutters. All I had was a Labrador who would protect me to the death if the robbers went anywhere near the fridge, otherwise they could take what they wanted.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 12th 2017 at 12:20 am.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. It is all about perspectives, I used to live in the posh end of Aberdeen where my neighbours used to have automatic self locking gates, CCTV, motion sensors in and out side of the house and burglar alarms with links directly to the local police station and a security firm, some even investigated automatic window shutters. All I had was a Labrador who would protect me to the death if the robbers went anywhere near the fridge, otherwise they could take what they wanted.
I agree while Philippines certainly has a situation that can make foreigners a target, if one is to live there it has to be just accepted as part of life. Funny thing is when I lived in USA never gave a second thought to crime in areas where I lived, but friends who lived in cities had all sorts of elaborate defense systems set up. Not sure whether the fear mainly of theft or bodily harm. Still think a vicious well-trained guard dog the best defense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.