Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Do UK suppiled TV's work .

Do UK suppiled TV's work .

Old Aug 25th 2016, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do UK suppiled TV's work .

I have sent a old TV to the Philippines and it has been working perfectly for the last 4 years. My question is will one of the latest model 4k work without any problems. I intend to buy of ebay a 65" top of the range curved set, so need to know it will work before purchasing, and sending it out.

You may recall we are sending a 40ft container with our household effects to the Philippines. Initially, we quoted ridiculous prices, however because of our knowledge of shipping we have reduced the cost to a very reasonable £2000,00-£2250.00.

A container cost £875 - £950 (40ft) landed into Subic. The rip off costs from UK shippers were packing, and loading the container. We elected to do this ourselves. The other crazy costs were the road transportation costs in the Philippines and the customs clearance agents fees. We took a trip down to Subic to locate a agent that would handle domestic shipments. The outcome was PHP 38,000 for transport costs (Subic to Mangaldan, Pangasinan) and PHP18,000 for paperwork and customs clearance. There may be some incidental costs but these would be minimal. We were quoted from £7000 - £9500 from the 'usual shippers' (imove, Pickfords etc).
Old Aug 25th 2016, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do UK suppiled TV's work .

Will the TV work. That is a depends. If PAL only input without a set top box no, the Philippines is NTSC. Some tv's are multi region so try and find out if your prospective set is multi region. It's something we have thought of doing but there is always the worry that it doesn't work when we get it there.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

I have shipped 4 TVs from the UK in the last 8 years, the last 3 were multi-system ( more by luck than judgement ) and operated in both UK and here without any cable converter box. Both systems worked well and with equal quality.

Word of warning make sure that the TV works on 60Hz ( +/- about 6HZ natural fluctuation here ), voltage of somewhere between 150>278 volts ( that is just what I have measured in my house ). I would buy a stabiliser & surge protector in the UK that can cope with high fluctuations in voltage/Hz or get an inverter that you can operate the TV ( and any other expensive gadgets ) from a 12V system. Inverters are available on Ebay amongst other places for between £25 to £300 depending on the power requirement.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

steve18 is an unknown quantity at this point

isn't it easier to buy the TV in Phils ? iv seen the Samsung 55"inch curv's plus larger one's for sale in robinson mall and they were cheaper than UK prices.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve18
isn't it easier to buy the TV in Phils ? iv seen the Samsung 55"inch curv's plus larger one's for sale in robinson mall and they were cheaper than UK prices.
Unfortunately Robinsons and S&M electrical outlets are own or operated or franchised by Panasonic and ( I think Sony ), they are used to get rid of the substandard lines. Gaisano did a promotion of what they called High end, imported Sony TVs, but when you looked at the picture from the side anything beyond about 60 degrees and the picture distorted and then quickly disappeared. Someone was ditching old screens on what looked like new TVs. An American friend checked a serial number with Sony and was advised that the serial number he had given had never been issued on any Sony system, that was on a 46" "Sony TV" for sale for P75,000.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

that's very possible. I know some of the high end companies will make electrical goods for other companies then they add their names to them. I know LG used to do that before they branched out on to the high street. with the internet its so much easier to check if items are authentic. I just got a e-cig kit off ebay,checked the codes and its fake. I got a few £'s back after I told the seller. the item is working fine. at the mo ? lol
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve18
that's very possible. I know some of the high end companies will make electrical goods for other companies then they add their names to them. I know LG used to do that before they branched out on to the high street. with the internet its so much easier to check if items are authentic. I just got a e-cig kit off ebay,checked the codes and its fake. I got a few £'s back after I told the seller. the item is working fine. at the mo ? lol
Ebay is bound by some trading standards, here once it has left the shop you are on your own. Gaisano offer a 2 day guarantee and a 7 day warranty for their electrical goods. With those fantastic deals you know it will only last 2 weeks. I bought a kettle which within 2 days started to leak and gave an electrical shock off the metal bits. The manager said there was nothing wrong with it when I took it back so I asked him to boil some water in it, then I asked him to touch it to see if it was warming up, after he picked himself up off the floor he gave me my money back. Wife mention that I could have killed him, I just told her that his kettle could have killed her, took a while but then the penny dropped --- eventually.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

CLASSIC. Best laugh iv had today. cant wait to get back there this coming Monday. whats the £ worth at the mo. its around 58 php here but I always change mine there
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

65" SUHD Samsung TV is 100/240v 50/60Hz, so you will have no issue with the power supply. PAL v NTSC was only a consideration in the old days of analog transmission which is phased out already in most countries as mandated by ITU. For Digital transmission is no longer an issue. Be aware though that as nice as the SUHD is, it will be a very very long time before there are many programs transmitted in that high resolution. Your only real option to enjoy that high level of resolution today is by Blue-ray Player.
I am a big Samsung fan and I have had several. We use them exclusively in our TV studios. I will ship my Samsung with me but I will buy new ones when I get there as they are pretty good price, almost as cheap as Dubai.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Mashael
65" SUHD Samsung TV is 100/240v 50/60Hz, so you will have no issue with the power supply. PAL v NTSC was only a consideration in the old days of analog transmission which is phased out already in most countries as mandated by ITU. For Digital transmission is no longer an issue. Be aware though that as nice as the SUHD is, it will be a very very long time before there are many programs transmitted in that high resolution. Your only real option to enjoy that high level of resolution today is by Blue-ray Player.
I am a big Samsung fan and I have had several. We use them exclusively in our TV studios. I will ship my Samsung with me but I will buy new ones when I get there as they are pretty good price, almost as cheap as Dubai.
Are the Philippines broadcasting terrestrial Digital TV yet. I know they chose the the Japanesse ISDB-T. Europe uses DBV-T and the US ATSC. My understanding is that the plan which keeps getting delayed is 3-5 years.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

With a set top box then yes using HDMI. From an antenna then probably, but when the Philippines goes fully digital then you'll have trouble with an antenna as they are going to use the Japanese standard. As others say , just double check its 120-240v 50/60Hz - 95% of UK models are, plus PAL/NTSC. Tvs bought here in most places will ONLY be NTSC. Don't have a 4K TV but our UK Panasonic works perfectly here and teamed with a multi region DVD player completes our entertainment - it also has SD and USB as well so can download programmes , pop them onto USB/SD and play.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

As Ghazza correctly says Philippines will probably opt for ISDB-T for digital terrestrial but that is a long way away and it will possible to buy a set top box to receive the terrestrial signal and connect to your TV via HDMI.
If I already had the TV in UK then I would definitely bring it, if you haven't bought it yet wait and buy it in Philippines. Many reasons apart from compatibility, damage in transit, no dealer warrant plus they are cheaper in Fils. Just checked on line, they are even cheaper than Dubai.