War on Drugs

Old Aug 24th 2016, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default War on Drugs

For those of you following it here, and who have cable TV, BBC World say they are going to show a report. No times given.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: War on Drugs

Thanks Raffin. Would be interesting to watch.

Watching the Senate enquiry at the moment on the extra-judicial killings which is most interesting. I enjoyed watching the Chf PNP squirm under the intense questioning of De-Lima. How they can try to justify the extra-judicial killings is beyond me and the fault of that lies in one place only. Another thing which I find interesting (strange) is that De-Lima has been implicated in the bizarre goings on in that top security jail. Sorry, name of the place escapes me. Is this just a diversionary tactic by those at the top? Would have thought that if she is implicated then evidence would have been produced before now and she is rightfully charged and convicted if found guilty. Seems like the laws of slander and libel do not exist in the Philippines. Just saying.

Regards

Pete
Old Aug 25th 2016, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin
For those of you following it here, and who have cable TV, BBC World say they are going to show a report. No times given.
Have done a search of their guide and found nothing within the next week, unless they are titling it "Special Report" or something.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

There is considerable interest on this topic in the U.S. If it interests you for an American perpective check out 'Young Turks' on YouTube
Old Aug 25th 2016, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw the trailer again, and looked more closely. It seems it's not going to be a special report but says "in depth reporting in the news". They seem to have a reporter here.

Anyway, leaving the rights and wrongs of the drug campaign to one side...and all its side issues with de Lima etc.. I just wonder how this is all playing at home with you all?

Our opinions don't count for much here, do they? But what about the Filipinos in your households? How do they feel about it all, especially the alleged extrajudicial killings? Although there aren't yet any official verdicts on them, there has been some pretty convincing evidence shown in the media and given in the Senate to implicate the police in at least a few so far,

Is their view that they are a "price worth paying" ...or not? Or are they not sure? My wife has changed in the last week from being fully behind to still being behind, but saying that she doesn't want the extrajudicial killings to continue. Not sure if that is a tenable position!
Old Aug 25th 2016, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Raffin, My missus, like yours, was fully behind Du30, we had a few arguments about that as I was saying that I thought he was a bit dangerous, she now thinks I may ( only may ) have been right.

Especially after an incident in our village at the weekend.

The police went round to arrest what they claimed to be a dangerous drug dealer, they did not have their paperwork in order before they tried to arrest him as the barangay officials had not signed off on the warrant. I know the supposed drug dealer , who is about 55-60 years old, he is a user that if pushed will sell his fix and then go and get another for himself, he works hard clearing up the rubbish in the market and occasionally helps me to clear the garden. On the night in question 5 police and 1 Sergeant went to arrest him, he ran down the road away from the police, the sergeant screamed at his men to shoot him, kill him, but they shot in the air and he immediately gave up. This was all in front of about 30 people in two roadside cafes. Other villages around here have come up with similar stories over the last few weeks.

My missus is now a pain in the backside as she keeps saying I should not walk down to the market on my own or take the dogs for a walk in the jungle or even walk to my 80 year old German friend's house ( 500m away ), in case I get caught in some gun battle cross fire.

So the natives are starting to get nervous, as are quite a few investment institutions, Norway's Oil Fund has put a block on any new investments in the Philippines and they have £2.5 trillion to invest. I assume others will follow.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Bealinehx; If it interests you for an American perpective check out 'Young Turks' on YouTube[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I did....and it surprised me to know TYT is watched by so many there. One gets the impression they are more interested in the US in events here than elsewhere. Maybe because, as in the Youtube clip, the President here can be used to scare people about a Trump Presidency in the US? Not sure though that extrajudicial killings will resonate much there, as they have plenty of their own.

As far as Britain is concerned I did recently hear a phone in caller on domestic BBC radio bring up the War on Drugs here - he was a supporter! The host then alluded to Duterte as a "dictator"! But how far the issue has reached the general public there is unclear.

So far, some coverage on CNN International and Al Jazeera....but the news cycle always moves on. Problem is, the people who decide on foreign investment tend to watch those channels.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Worth a read.

Philippines drugs war: The woman who kills dealers for a living - BBC News
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:14 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

As interesting and as important as this subject is, I'm not sure that if I lived in the Philippines in these times I would take the risk of sharing my views on here.

Perhaps it would wiser for the time being at least, for you to keep in contact on such issues using an encrypted system such as WhatsApp.

Maybe I'm a little paranoid but even in Malaysia we have learned to be cautious in such matters.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Raffin,

You asked what the Filipinos in our household think about the EJ Killings and the war on drugs. My lovely lady is all for it. She hated the previous Aquino government and is all for it. I tried to explain the human rights issues and how the outside world is viewing it but it fell on deaf ears. Maybe if I explained that if someone had a grudge against her father and shot him dead on the pretext of being a dealer, she would think differently. Her father would not be in a position to defend his innocence in a court of law. I did not go down that road.

As an aside. She has told me the President has far reaching powers. The ton of sand delivered to even out some of the roads here were due to him. I am astonished at the micro-management of the President.

Regards

Pete

Last edited by Philosophical 11; Aug 26th 2016 at 4:32 am.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by springsteen11
Raffin,

You asked what the Filipinos in our household think about the EJ Killings and the war on drugs. My lovely lady is all for it. She hated the previous Aquino government and is all for it. I tried to explain the human rights issues and how the outside world is viewing it but it fell on deaf ears. Maybe if I explained that if someone had a grudge against her father and shot him dead on the pretext of being a dealer, she would think differently. Her father would not be in a position to defend his innocence in a court of law. I did not go down that road.

As an aside. She has told me the President has far reaching powers. The ton of sand delivered to even out some of the roads here were due to him. I am astonished at the micro-management of the President.

Regards

Pete
I bet there are a few enterprising spouses organising a quicky divorce "Honestly your honor, she was dealing drugs"
Old Aug 26th 2016, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it definitely is. You beat me to it. Looks like the Beeb is doing some investigatory reporting here and there might well be something soon on BBC World. The material in the link is also the sort of thing the BBC's flagship current affairs series Panorama might broadcast back in the UK. But luckily for Philippine tourism it's having a rest for the summer.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Raffin
Yes, it definitely is. You beat me to it. Looks like the Beeb is doing some investigatory reporting here and there might well be something soon on BBC World. The material in the link is also the sort of thing the BBC's flagship current affairs series Panorama might broadcast back in the UK. But luckily for Philippine tourism it's having a rest for the summer.
Unfortunately my local cable company has managed to break his BBC Worldwide decoder and seemingly has no intentions to replace it so any heads up on program content/title would be well received, so I can search on internet for it.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Try using viewabroad.com.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think for the first time, I'm a regular viewer, a report on the War on Drugs got into the News at Ten last night on BBC1. Excerpts of some speeches of the President, video inside a packed up jail and short interviews with a small time dealer on the the run and with that woman contract killer.

Just one criticism....pictures of come "salvaging" were shown, but Jonathon Head, the reporter, described them as drug dealers and users...whereas we know that the victims of this type of killing here have always been a mixture of criminals and anyone someone has a grudge against. More so now than ever, perhaps.

This is a recent example of that, maybe

:7 bodies dumped in Bulacan | ABS-CBN News

BBC World isn't on View Abroad, nor on the parent Filmon. But BBC Global News is on
Filmon. It shows a selection of BBC reports, and may carry this one and others to come. Otherwise, CNN International and Al Jazeera, if you have it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.