Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Time to say goodbye to NZ

Time to say goodbye to NZ

Old Mar 26th 2016, 8:30 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to say goodbye to NZ

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Good luck with the next phase of your life Sparkly. You gave it a good shot in NZ but if the opportunities have presented themselves for the UK then you've got nothing to lose, and it's great to have a job to go back to. You can always visit NZ in the future if you miss it ;-)
Thanks Cappuccino. It is true, we can always visit. Having a job makes it so much easier to return, at least one of us will be earning and that takes a huge weight off our shoulders.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
That is so good to hear, thank you Vitalstatistix! It would also be great to be in touch with someone already there as I know no one.
Have PM'd you
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Well after 8 years here and the chance to gain invaluable experience and study it is time to go home.

I have been unsettled for almost 3 years now, not sure what happened but have never been able to shake off the feeling and so we decided to move back, try and settle and plan for the future and retirement. I've given it enough time to make sure it is the right thing to do. I have been back a couple of times too.

My girls are heading home too, there are only the 4 of us here, no family at all and they are going to Edinburgh (hopefully this time!).

I have been fortunate enough to be offered two jobs, one in Sheffield and the other in Plymouth and we have decided to take the Plymouth one as has better opportunities. Although all the reports are that Plymouth is a bit of a dump, it is situated in the middle of some beautiful countryside and beaches and we thought this might just equate in a British way to living up here in Orewa. We don't know as we're not from the area, but if you don't give it a try you never know.

So I'm just waiting for the employers to confirm my start date, hopefully at the end of May, and then I have to get myself moving and start sorting out the 8 years of accumulated 'stuff' cluttering up my cupboards.

We are moving back with a lot less money than we came here with, but that said I really feel the need to make sure we are comfortable for our future, as we are now both early 50's and time is marching on - so onwards and upwards and cheers to the adventure that has now come to an end
Good luck Sparkleydiva - hope everything goes well for you with the move and on the job front in the UK.

I'm already beginning to miss the better aspects of the UK (and I haven't even left yet) but at this moment in time NZ is the place to be for our family.

I've learnt that life is never set in stone and as our kids grow up and want to explore/find (better) jobs we might also head back to Europe. It's good to have the experience & choice though.

All the best on your journey.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:21 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KOH2
Good luck Sparkleydiva - hope everything goes well for you with the move and on the job front in the UK.

I'm already beginning to miss the better aspects of the UK (and I haven't even left yet) but at this moment in time NZ is the place to be for our family.

I've learnt that life is never set in stone and as our kids grow up and want to explore/find (better) jobs we might also head back to Europe. It's good to have the experience & choice though.

All the best on your journey.
Thank you.

Yes, experience does make a huge difference and although my girls were much older when we came here, living overseas and completing their tertiary education here has had a big influence on how they view the world. Good luck, missing parts of the UK is fairly normal, and for me the fact I can return and re-experience those things but with fresh eyes and appreciation is something I can't wait for! Good luck.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

fourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Sparkleydiva

I lurk on this forum and occasionally post, I hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions?

How did you and your girls find their tertiary education and how as it changed their view? Do you feel it was better/worse or just different to what they would have done in the UK? Have your girls found it easy or difficult to secure jobs since finishing?

Good luck with your move, I haven't been to Plymouth in years but you are right, it is in a beautiful area.

Old Mar 30th 2016, 10:10 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by fourseasons
Hi Sparkleydiva

I lurk on this forum and occasionally post, I hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions?

How did you and your girls find their tertiary education and how as it changed their view? Do you feel it was better/worse or just different to what they would have done in the UK? Have your girls found it easy or difficult to secure jobs since finishing?

Good luck with your move, I haven't been to Plymouth in years but you are right, it is in a beautiful area.

No problems, will answer as best I can.

The tertiary experience has been very good. My youngest and myself have been at Auckland Uni and my eldest went to AUT.

Youngest did an Arts degree, starting with English and Classics, her interest areas but through the way you 'build' your own degree here rather than the more prescribed pathway when I attended uni in the UK in 2003, she switched her double major to English and Art History. This was purely through taking a class to 'fill up' her timetable, loved the subject and has excelled since. I think this has offered her opportunities she would never have considered in the UK as she would not have been exposed to this subject.

Elder daughter did design degree at AUT - that was ok, but don't think her experience was as good, but partly her own doing.

In both cases though I don't think either would have done the subjects they chose here and some of that is through the flexibility of applying directly to the universities and the applications not going through UCAS.

Youngest has gone on to complete her Masters and is now going to Edinburgh to do her PhD in Art History, with work experience guaranteed and opportunities for curation.

With regard to work post qualification - this is a huge issue across the board in NZ irrespective of degree taken. As you may have seen on some other threads, there are so many qualified teachers, doctors, nurses, dentists etc and no jobs for them. This is part of the reason they are returning home. Youngest has only been able to get a part time casual job at uni doing note taking. Has tried to get voluntary experience at the art gallery but they now require a PhD to be a volunteer apparently. Her friend is doing her PhD here and has volunteered at the museum as she is studying some of the artifacts there, and they advertised her role but she didn't get it. Eldest graduated in 2012 and has done accounting jobs since with a 10 week secondment this year to event management and has finally used some of her skills. But that is now over and she is back accounting. This is frustrating when they offer the subjects but no work is available and if it is, it usually require a 2 year minimum of NZ related experience.

I think with them being 18 & 20 when we moved it was at a very impressionable time in their lives and adding into the mix the university education, cultural differences and them being migrants has just expanded their vision and they have become very tolerant of change. Whether this would have happened had we stayed in the UK I'm not sure, but is a positive outcome for them and all of us really.

Looking forward to being in Devon, but not maybe the moving part of it all!
Old Mar 30th 2016, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck drop by and say hello to us every now and again
Old Mar 30th 2016, 10:56 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
Good luck drop by and say hello to us every now and again

Will do and thank you
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:05 am
Just Joined

fourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for that info, that's useful to know. Whilst the move to NZ hasn't been great for me personally, I do think that the experience has been worth it for my 2 children. That said we are planning to return to the UK either this year or next.

One of my areas of concern has been and still is the education they are receiving and we have decided that they will complete their education in the UK. Where they go to university, if indeed they do, will be up to them. The info on course flexibility is interesting. It does seem hard to get a job here especially without NZ experience, although to be honest I'm not quite sure what this is and how it holds so much value!

Anyway best of luck to you and your family, I hope the move back goes smoothly.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:54 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fourseasons
It does seem hard to get a job here especially without NZ experience, although to be honest I'm not quite sure what this is and how it holds so much value!
It makes no odds. They just seem to want you to be kiwi-fied some how and what ever that may mean. (Did I really once get an admin job at a local authority because I confidently referred to the Westpac Stadium as, 'the cake tin' during the interview when asked about my hobbies ? ) Unless your job has a seniority to it, in which case you will be top dog for the pack to hero worship and it won't matter where you come from.

Some Kiwi's like to travel overseas and apparently it's a good thing for them to have overseas experience on their cv. However, if someone comes from that self same overseas they get turned down due to lack of NZ experience. Go figure !

I got my first job in NZ within a few weeks of arrival which was a temp job from an employment agency. It took me a year of applying for jobs to get my next job offer.

When I've been at work, the actual work I've done is no different to what I've done back in Britain. Same meat, different gravy sort of thing.

Well if you don't mind the interruption of the morning and afternoon tea breaks that they build their day around. Also the small town cliquiness that reads across into the work place too.

Next month sees the completion of another 12 months without paid employment for me. I do voluntary work so I can at least feel useful and it puts an up to date reference on my cv.

I apply for jobs, get interviewed but inevitably get turned down in favour of the internal applicant yet again. I also suspect the interview process has been abused by some just for their own curiosity on the pretext of interviewing me for a vacancy.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 31st 2016 at 3:06 am. Reason: You know who you are
Old Apr 1st 2016, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

You've chosen Plymouth over Sheffield!!! You could have been in the same city as the mighty Sheffield Wednesday

To be fair, I'd have done the same thing. Love sheffield to bits but my goodness they know how to moan about everything in life do the lovely dee dars. Plus the Barbican area of Plymouth is beautiful. Then there's the parks which just gives it that extra over Sheffield and the beautiful peak district.

Have a lovely time back in Plymouth. Hope the move is a successful one and enjoy the sights of Devon and Cornwall.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 5:32 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by Tom H
You've chosen Plymouth over Sheffield!!! You could have been in the same city as the mighty Sheffield Wednesday

To be fair, I'd have done the same thing. Love sheffield to bits but my goodness they know how to moan about everything in life do the lovely dee dars. Plus the Barbican area of Plymouth is beautiful. Then there's the parks which just gives it that extra over Sheffield and the beautiful peak district.

Have a lovely time back in Plymouth. Hope the move is a successful one and enjoy the sights of Devon and Cornwall.
Thanks Tom - am really looking forward to it now. Only 6 weeks and 6 days until we go!