Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Time to say goodbye to NZ

Time to say goodbye to NZ

Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:27 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time to say goodbye to NZ

Well after 8 years here and the chance to gain invaluable experience and study it is time to go home.

I have been unsettled for almost 3 years now, not sure what happened but have never been able to shake off the feeling and so we decided to move back, try and settle and plan for the future and retirement. I've given it enough time to make sure it is the right thing to do. I have been back a couple of times too.

My girls are heading home too, there are only the 4 of us here, no family at all and they are going to Edinburgh (hopefully this time!).

I have been fortunate enough to be offered two jobs, one in Sheffield and the other in Plymouth and we have decided to take the Plymouth one as has better opportunities. Although all the reports are that Plymouth is a bit of a dump, it is situated in the middle of some beautiful countryside and beaches and we thought this might just equate in a British way to living up here in Orewa. We don't know as we're not from the area, but if you don't give it a try you never know.

So I'm just waiting for the employers to confirm my start date, hopefully at the end of May, and then I have to get myself moving and start sorting out the 8 years of accumulated 'stuff' cluttering up my cupboards.

We are moving back with a lot less money than we came here with, but that said I really feel the need to make sure we are comfortable for our future, as we are now both early 50's and time is marching on - so onwards and upwards and cheers to the adventure that has now come to an end
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Time to say goodbye to NZ

Time does indeed march on & life is too short for what ifs and being unsettled.

All the very best with this move back.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:15 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Time does indeed march on & life is too short for what ifs and being unsettled.

All the very best with this move back.
Thanks Bevs
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:22 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Sparks, hope it all goes well with the move
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:57 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Good luck Sparks, hope it all goes well with the move
Thank you
Old Mar 21st 2016, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move. I've lived in various places along the south coast and enjoyed all of them. Plymouth has a great naval heritage, lots of beaches to visit and is also on the travel network for anywhere in the UK. You can get a direct train from Plymouth to Glasgow and then it's a short hop to Edinburgh or you can fly too so easy to visit the girls.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You gave it a fair crack Sparkly - wish you all the best with your move back and hope all goes well.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:12 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, hope all goes well for you all.

You sound like you are in similar circumstances to us albeit we don't live in Auckland but my SIL lives in Dairy Flat.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
You can't beat Plymouth on a fine day, but the Janners (Plymothians) do have a saying "If you can't see the Eddystone Rock, it is raining, if you can see the Eddystone Rock it is going to rain"!
Seriously though, it is a lovely city in great surrounding, the locals are friendly, great shopping and oggies (pasties) - I'm sure you'll have a great time there.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Well after 8 years here and the chance to gain invaluable experience and study it is time to go home.

I have been unsettled for almost 3 years now, not sure what happened but have never been able to shake off the feeling and so we decided to move back, try and settle and plan for the future and retirement. I've given it enough time to make sure it is the right thing to do. I have been back a couple of times too.

My girls are heading home too, there are only the 4 of us here, no family at all and they are going to Edinburgh (hopefully this time!).

I have been fortunate enough to be offered two jobs, one in Sheffield and the other in Plymouth and we have decided to take the Plymouth one as has better opportunities. Although all the reports are that Plymouth is a bit of a dump, it is situated in the middle of some beautiful countryside and beaches and we thought this might just equate in a British way to living up here in Orewa. We don't know as we're not from the area, but if you don't give it a try you never know.

So I'm just waiting for the employers to confirm my start date, hopefully at the end of May, and then I have to get myself moving and start sorting out the 8 years of accumulated 'stuff' cluttering up my cupboards.

We are moving back with a lot less money than we came here with, but that said I really feel the need to make sure we are comfortable for our future, as we are now both early 50's and time is marching on - so onwards and upwards and cheers to the adventure that has now come to an end
Good luck....We were there for 6 years and I have never regretted our decision to move back.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:36 am
wish I wasn't here!

Thanks everyone, am excited but a bit anxious too today. It is now all happening very quickly.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:37 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Good luck....We were there for 6 years and I have never regretted our decision to move back.
Great to hear - you do hear of so many that don't settle, but i am really looking forward to it.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Great choice settling for Plymouth IMHO! I've been a few times to visit my friend there. Whilst the City Centre is a bit of a dive. Post-war concrete jungle, other areas are just lovely. I love sitting on Plymouth Hoe watching the world go by. Visits to the Plymouth Gin distillery , Dartington Glass, The National Aquarium and so on.

Remember walking from my friend's house in Ivybridge up onto Dartmoor for the August 1999 eclipse. A lasting memory. My friend also visits Bigbury-on-Sea and Burgh Island quite a lot. Loved it there.

I can put you in touch with her if you like.

I wish you all the very best with your new adventure.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the next phase of your life Sparkly. You gave it a good shot in NZ but if the opportunities have presented themselves for the UK then you've got nothing to lose, and it's great to have a job to go back to. You can always visit NZ in the future if you miss it ;-)
Old Mar 26th 2016, 8:29 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Great choice settling for Plymouth IMHO! I've been a few times to visit my friend there. Whilst the City Centre is a bit of a dive. Post-war concrete jungle, other areas are just lovely. I love sitting on Plymouth Hoe watching the world go by. Visits to the Plymouth Gin distillery , Dartington Glass, The National Aquarium and so on.

Remember walking from my friend's house in Ivybridge up onto Dartmoor for the August 1999 eclipse. A lasting memory. My friend also visits Bigbury-on-Sea and Burgh Island quite a lot. Loved it there.

I can put you in touch with her if you like.

I wish you all the very best with your new adventure.
That is so good to hear, thank you Vitalstatistix! It would also be great to be in touch with someone already there as I know no one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.