Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

Ha ha yes point taken Matelot! Maybe not millions being completely lost but millions of pensions have been affected in some way.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:01 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes i feel like Dannigirl's nemesis which I don't like but here goes..

I actually agree with quite a few of Genesis's points.

It's not true that the entire world has gone down the financial crapper...Canada hasn't nor Australia. Why? Because it has a properly regulated banking system, something apparently sadly lacking in the UK or the US. What happened in NZ with the financial companies was such obvious fraud i find it amazing that the NZ government didn't clue in sooner. I'm with G on that one...the NZ government should have created a better regulatory environment.

I also agree with what he says about the bullying culture there. That I thought was normal until I left. And let's not get into the recent report on the rubbish management practices that are considered ok in NZ...I need to find that link. Again, thought that was normal until I left. In fact there are some examples of it on ths very board. I feel for anyone trying to stand up and point out the craptacular unprofessionalism of the NZ working culture at times...NZers don't take criticism well.

yes there are lots of positives about NZ but it could be much better and is frankly lagging the rest of the west in terms of attitudes.

Sorry Danni! haha
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Canada doesn't even register on the world radar really, just the poor American cousin. Australia is buoyed by a their natural resources but good on them for not being affected by the downturn. Let's not forget China or India....care to live in either of those countries?

No one country will fit all - but the generalisations on here are quite amazing. I'll bow out now thanks. Oh and ha ha - how very mature of you (or was I not picking up on your superior sense of sarcasm?)
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
If I didn't have a 14 week old baby in my arms I could write a longer response, but I can't.

If you think where you live and how great it is solely down to you then that is really sad. Who made the area you live in great, the neighbourhood fairies?

I am not saying that the NZ government is perfect by any means, nor that we don't have any social problems, but the way you skew things is really beyond belief.

Pretty much the entire world is in a terrible financial state, the UK did not have the proper financial regulation in place which is why millions in the UK have lost their entire pensions and there are huge austerity measures in place. Was that my fault? No, was it the government....depends who you talk to. Was it the bankers fault? Maybe? I too could write you an entire book of incompetence in my everyday life, it doesn't just happen in NZ you know.

I totally agree with Catchafire, the issues you state are not unique to NZ. I am sure I can find stats to match every link you put in. There are worrying elements in every country. I work in social services (in the UK), believe me I see the scum of the earth in this country day in day out, does it colour my whole view of this country? No, because I know and respect the fact that there are many great things about this country and I feel very priveleged as an immigrant to work and raise my family here despite all of the problems I could choose to dwell on. I try my hardest everyday to be a good citizen and feel I do my bit with the job that I do, hopefully contibuting to making social problems less of an issue. When and if we leave this country it will be a very sad day.

Just remember you are raising your children in NZ, they are kiwis (albeit with strong connections to Britain and other countries).

They are growing up in the environment, culture, governance and around the people you apparently so despise.
Despise is way to stronger word. AND I did not at any point speculate that all the crap I spoke about does not happen elsewhere and that NZ is unique in all the problems I mention (it is in some I will add). But it IS happening here. It IS relevant to me. This is not about comparisons it is about my views on NZ for others to see and make their comments and may be even their own judgements.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Sometimes i feel like Dannigirl's nemesis which I don't like but here goes..

I actually agree with quite a few of Genesis's points.

It's not true that the entire world has gone down the financial crapper...Canada hasn't nor Australia. Why? Because it has a properly regulated banking system, something apparently sadly lacking in the UK or the US. What happened in NZ with the financial companies was such obvious fraud i find it amazing that the NZ government didn't clue in sooner. I'm with G on that one...the NZ government should have created a better regulatory environment.

I also agree with what he says about the bullying culture there. That I thought was normal until I left. And let's not get into the recent report on the rubbish management practices that are considered ok in NZ...I need to find that link. Again, thought that was normal until I left. In fact there are some examples of it on ths very board. I feel for anyone trying to stand up and point out the craptacular unprofessionalism of the NZ working culture at times...NZers don't take criticism well.

yes there are lots of positives about NZ but it could be much better and is frankly lagging the rest of the west in terms of attitudes.

Sorry Danni! haha
Monetary policy in NZ is another issue. The Reserve Bank sit back and simply allow the NZ dollar to go ballistic value wise. Great for those spending kiwis abroad and GREAT for all the greedy importers who are making a fortune. Strangely the ONLY benefit that the average punter in nonsense land gets is cheap flat screen TV's...which is ironic as the NZ TV has to be the worst in the world!! Do we see our fuel at the pumps any cheaper..it's all imported gas you know? No. Any other breaks for the poor beleagured average bod in NZ? NOPE! They could easily print some cash to bring the value down or interevene in the currency markets (it can be done but can be risky) the former is the best bet.

Again, way too many 'clever' people have ALL said how STUPID STUPID STUPID it is to allow the kiwi to get so high...primarily because of our export base. No not the milk..that is in such demand they will pay whatever to get the white gold. I speak of all the other exporters..Racal for one who are being squeezed to death as their products are way too expensive as a result of the kiwi$s value. This is not about market forces, it is about poor policy.

Thousands of jobs are being lost as a result of this. A big order for trains has just gone to China or some such place because the kiwi company that was tendering could not compete because of the kiwi. Other companies have simply ceased trading again because their exports have been pushed to the side because they ARE TOO PRICEY!!!!!

The kiwi has to come down. If they wait for a natural devaluation it could be years. How many kiwi exporters will be out of business by then I wonder??
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:38 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Actually Canada doesn't even register on the world radar really, just the poor American cousin. Australia is buoyed by a their natural resources but good on them for not being affected by the downturn. Let's not forget China or India....care to live in either of those countries?

No one country will fit all - but the generalisations on here are quite amazing. I'll bow out now thanks. Oh and ha ha - how very mature of you (or was I not picking up on your superior sense of sarcasm?)
I didn't say it did. Though maybe it should, since it appears to have done something right, unlike the US or the UK. I'm not sure what china or india has to do with this discussion, though thanks to those countries where I live in western Canada is doing very well too (yay resources!). You've really got to learn not to take criticism of NZ so personally because it isn't personal. I'm not apologizing for the fact I think there are areas where NZ should be doing a lot better.

I actually wasn't being sarcastic, so I have no idea what you're talking about. I actuallY DO feel bad we always end up disagreeing, but whatever. Your shoulder chip, not mine.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Feb 17th 2012 at 7:50 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis
Despise is way to stronger word. AND I did not at any point speculate that all the crap I spoke about does not happen elsewhere and that NZ is unique in all the problems I mention (it is in some I will add). But it IS happening here. It IS relevant to me. This is not about comparisons it is about my views on NZ for others to see and make their comments and may be even their own judgements.
Genesis, I for one am glad you speak up. Maybe I'm the only one but everything you say rings true for me. My sister is a journo there, and she has plenty to say about the issues. Some things are not worth worrying about imo - like the lack of choice - no country is perfect - but other things, like the work culture and the crap regulation, well, there's no excuse for not fixing those in this day and age. I'ts that freaking 'she'll be right" attitude that holds people back. No, actually, she needs to do better.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:42 pm

Monetary policy in NZ is another issue. The Reserve Bank sit back and simply allow the NZ dollar to go ballistic value wise. Great for those spending kiwis abroad and GREAT for all the greedy importers who are making a fortune. Strangely the ONLY benefit that the average punter in nonsense land gets is cheap flat screen TV's...which is ironic as the NZ TV has to be the worst in the world!! Do we see our fuel at the pumps any cheaper..it's all imported gas you know? No. Any other breaks for the poor beleagured average bod in NZ? NOPE! They could easily print some cash to bring the value down or interevene in the currency markets (it can be done but can be risky) the former is the best bet.

Again, way too many 'clever' people have ALL said how STUPID STUPID STUPID it is to allow the kiwi to get so high...primarily because of our export base. No not the milk..that is in such demand they will pay whatever to get the white gold. I speak of all the other exporters..Racal for one who are being squeezed to death as their products are way too expensive as a result of the kiwi$s value. This is not about market forces, it is about poor policy.

Thousands of jobs are being lost as a result of this. A big order for trains has just gone to China or some such place because the kiwi company that was tendering could not compete because of the kiwi. Other companies have simply ceased trading again because their exports have been pushed to the side because they ARE TOO PRICEY!!!!!

The kiwi has to come down. If they wait for a natural devaluation it could be years. How many kiwi exporters will be out of business by then I wonder??
Meh, i'm not with you on that. I don't think printing money leads anywhere good....
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

burbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this point

I had hoped that the various powers that be in NZ would take on board or learn from other developing or developed countries. In my naivety I mean economic r&d, encouraging NZ companies to be created thus increasing employment for the growing population & therefore all the other social kit & caboodles that go with it.
They learn alright, look at the phenominal amount of unproductive quangos, councils constantly using private consultants to set their policies & financial structures. the old boy network & with an existing government made up of gamblers (oops or should I say futures/stock market experts) Sadly they've learnt the take it now & bugger the future mentality.
I personally care about NZ as my home but see it as the same product but different brand name. At least I'm in a country with a history beginning rather than being at the end of it in the UK.
For myself,regardless of the occasional frustrations this is a good place for me & the bloke. Our restless spirits have been appeased. I hope the OP finds their good place.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's not true that the entire world has gone down the financial crapper...Canada hasn't nor Australia.
NZ has benefitted immensely from the grace of the strength of the Australian economy and their banking system to buffer a lot of the pain, or it wuld have been a hell of a lot worse. It hardly bears thinking about if NZ had to stand on it's own two feet during the financial crisis and didn't have a booming nearby economy to pick up the slack. 100% Pure Luck that NZ was in the right place at the right time, however if the Australian and Asian econonies start to go boobs up then God help us.

Utterly laughable to think NZ has done anything to keep our heads above the water over the past three to four years, besides blaming the previous Government for all that is wrong.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vikkichic
I had hoped that the various powers that be in NZ would take on board or learn from other developing or developed countries. In my naivety I mean economic r&d, encouraging NZ companies to be created thus increasing employment for the growing population & therefore all the other social kit & caboodles that go with it.
They learn alright, look at the phenominal amount of unproductive quangos, councils constantly using private consultants to set their policies & financial structures. the old boy network & with an existing government made up of gamblers (oops or should I say futures/stock market experts) Sadly they've learnt the take it now & bugger the future mentality.

Indeed, it never ceases to amaze me how difficult it is and how many levels of authorities and organisations, people, time, effort and money it requires to manage 4.4 million people. It is absolutely staggering!!

This place could to all intents have a very sleek and be a model structure, but no we prefer to add layer upon layer of utterly useless and costly bureacracy.

If I had my way I would scrap the lot of them and start again, instead of 'restructuring', shifting bodies around, bolting things together and spending millions on re-branding, making people redundant and re-employing them as Consultants.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Meh, i'm not with you on that. I don't think printing money leads anywhere good....
Fair comment, BUT you need to reign in the daft value of your currency. Sitting back in a nice office in a big chair doing nothing is plain stupid. Things can/could be done..or at least try to!! Quantative easing if done dilgently would put a stop on the continuing rise of the kiwi. Where is it going to end? 1 for 1 on both the dollar and the pound? And even if tourist DO still come here they will not spend as much as they would had they got more kiwis for their currency, again money out of kiwi tills!!

Last edited by Genesis; Feb 17th 2012 at 8:39 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Indeed, it never ceases to amaze me how difficult it is and how many levels of authorities and organisations, people, time, effort and money it requires to manage 4.4 million people. It is absolutely staggering!!

This place could to all intents have a very sleek and be a model structure, but no we prefer to add layer upon layer of utterly useless and costly bureacracy.

If I had my way I would scrap the lot of them and start again, instead of 'restructuring', shifting bodies around, bolting things together and spending millions on re-branding, making people redundant and re-employing them as Consultants.
But that is how tin pot, two bit places like NZ work eh? Jobs for the boys and all. We know best attitude? Bloody joke!! And I have one major aspiration for my kids, that they leave NZ as adults and go somewhere else for their careers. Unless of course NZ Inc. smells the coffee in the coming years and trys to 'grow up' a bit.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:12 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

But that is how tin pot, two bit places like NZ work eh? Jobs for the boys and all. We know best attitude? Bloody joke!! And I have one major aspiration for my kids, that they leave NZ as adults and go somewhere else for their careers. Unless of course NZ Inc. smells the coffee in the coming years and trys to 'grow up' a bit.
This is the attitude I really fail to understand Genesis. You are so contradictory. NZ is great place to raise your kids, except when they are 18 they will wake up and realise, that it is a shit place to live and they are better off living "somewhere" else.

I hope my kids will grow up and be proud of being Kiwi's.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Catchafire
This is the attitude I really fail to understand Genesis. You are so contradictory. NZ is great place to raise your kids, except when they are 18 they will wake up and realise, that it is a shit place to live and they are better off living "somewhere" else.

I hope my kids will grow up and be proud of being Kiwi's.
Why is it contradictory? Surely I can have a mind that NZ IS a good place for my kids to spend their formative years BUT feel that greater stuff career wise lies elsewhere?

I feel the same about the UK. Don't want to bring my kids up there but I see it as a place (if they chose) for them to spend time as adults).

Come on, 25% of the population of NZ is in exile...ever wonder why? Why are so many crossing the Tasman and NOT coming back? Brain drain et al spring to mind. I fully expect my children to do as they please when they are adults. If NZ is good for them and their careers I guess they will stay. Who knows? All 3 may be low achievers (like their dad) and be happy plodding like I did. NZ is a good place if you are not looking to set the world afire.

We all only get one chance, its not about pride its about what's best for my kids..as kids and as adults. If my kids ARE proud of their 'kiwiness ' cool. But national pride has never been big on my agenda. Hardly surprising being half french and half irish being bought up in the UK!!!

Last edited by Genesis; Feb 17th 2012 at 9:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.