Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

Old Dec 27th 2011, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

honeybunny2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

Really feel like I have had enough of life in nz. Would like to return home but the recession is so bad, it would just be foolish. Tho we would prob be mortgage free. Does anyone else feel stuck here?
Old Dec 27th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 4.4 years, i've had enough of NZ

Not at all. After 3.5 yrs here which have seen some massive ups & downs for me personally I still feel that this now my home.
I've been back to the uk recently and the trip while enjoyable served to re enforce what I already knew, I couldn't live there again.

I dont see why you should feel trapped, your dollar is stronger than its ever been so financially its a good move
If you think your not going to find work think again, its not all doom and gloom like we read in the media.

Could it be that your using this as an excuse not to go because you will never have a better time than now to return
Old Dec 27th 2011, 7:43 pm
Banned

LeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Justcol
Not at all. After 3.5 yrs here which have seen some massive ups & downs for me personally I still feel that this now my home.
I've been back to the uk recently and the trip while enjoyable served to re enforce what I already knew, I couldn't live there again.

I dont see why you should feel trapped, your dollar is stronger than its ever been so financially its a good move
If you think your not going to find work think again, its not all doom and gloom like we read in the media.

Could it be that your using this as an excuse not to go because you will never have a better time than now to return
As soon as my contract is up, I'm going to burn my PR visas up and make like a banana out of here. I will never return, this place has so much going for it but is being run into the ground by appalling governance and poor private/public leadership.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybunny2011
Really feel like I have had enough of life in nz. Would like to return home but the recession is so bad, it would just be foolish. Tho we would prob be mortgage free. Does anyone else feel stuck here?
I would strongly suggest you stay for the remaining time to 5 years and apply for your NZ citizenship and later NZ passport.

You would then have the opportunity to return with impunity to NZ or live and work in OZ if you so desired should your return to the UK not work out as you may have planned.

Just a thought.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Yes I feel just like that. Realised when we came 5 years ago I didn't want to stay forever. Each to their own but I find it boring!
My eldest went back earlier this year and thankfully my husband can work from the UK at his NZ job.
Our problem is our daughter loves it here (mostly due to bf!) and so we would have to leave her. We have already delayed our return for 2 years incase things didn't work and she would come.

Carole
Old Dec 27th 2011, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
I would strongly suggest you stay for the remaining time to 5 years and apply for your NZ citizenship and later NZ passport.

You would then have the opportunity to return with impunity to NZ or live and work in OZ if you so desired should your return to the UK not work out as you may have planned.

Just a thought.
Have to agree with that NG. You just don't know what the future holds. When I left NZ in 2005 I swore I would never come back (except for a holiday) but have been back for very nearly 5 years now . We have our citizenship now, so it gives us options for the future.

Do wish my OH's parents had applied for citizenship when they lived in Oz & NZ but "we just didn't think" was my Mil's reply. DOH!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Have to agree with that NG. You just don't know what the future holds. When I left NZ in 2005 I swore I would never come back (except for a holiday) but have been back for very nearly 5 years now . We have our citizenship now, so it gives us options for the future.

Do wish my OH's parents had applied for citizenship when they lived in Oz & NZ but "we just didn't think" was my Mil's reply. DOH!
X2

Ping pommed a bit myself. Leave your options open - There's not a whole lot in it. It's really down to personal taste and what you value (that changes - real time). The rest is all emotional (in the words of Vinnie Jones)

Last edited by Droidling; Dec 27th 2011 at 9:55 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Vinnie Jones gets emotional???

Well I never!
Old Dec 28th 2011, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Not big on movies then. NZ's always good for a bit of Casablanca or Pathe news though eh ?!
Old Dec 28th 2011, 5:53 am
Just Joined

vicci is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been here for just over 5 years now and we do enjoy it, we have been back to the UK every year so I think thats what keeps me going. We plan to go to the UK for 1 year but come back he after as it's great for our little boy who is 3. All the very best

Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:13 pm
Banned

LeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant futureLeeMarMit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vicci
We have been here for just over 5 years now and we do enjoy it, we have been back to the UK every year so I think thats what keeps me going. We plan to go to the UK for 1 year but come back he after as it's great for our little boy who is 3. All the very best
You have to go to the UK to keep going? Am I the only one who sees the issue inherent with that statement?

If you have to be somewhere else just to keep going, then what's the point?
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeMarMit
You have to go to the UK to keep going? Am I the only one who sees the issue inherent with that statement?

If you have to be somewhere else just to keep going, then what's the point?
Because sometimes life isn't as simple as being able to up-sticks and move country. I go home to the UK every few months from Australia to keep myself sane. However I can't move back there as I have no portable skills (not much call for cyclone watchers!) and not enough cash to get started from scratch again.

If you're lucky enough to be able to move again thats great, but not everyone is in the same position.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Because sometimes life isn't as simple as being able to up-sticks and move country. I go home to the UK every few months from Australia to keep myself sane. However I can't move back there as I have no portable skills (not much call for cyclone watchers!) and not enough cash to get started from scratch again.

If you're lucky enough to be able to move again thats great, but not everyone is in the same position.
If something drives you insane, then remove it from your life. You make no sense whatsoever I'm afraid, getting out of somewhere every few months, to stay sane, is simply ludicrous.

If it's that bad, you'd take the hit and just move back. I would. I am.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sometimes it pays to actually read & digest what someone else is saying rather than just shout it down without pausing for thought . You have decided to return to the UK . Your wife is a nurse. Her skills are very portable . One assumes you have the funds to make the return. Not everyone is in your position so just be pleased for you & show some consideration for those not in your position. Thank you
Old Dec 30th 2011, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

honeybunny2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no plans to leave yet but I think it will happen. I do like nz and it many ways its better than home but i dont likes its location in the world. I hate the mini battle i have going on inside my head about staying or leaving. British expats has been fantastic with helping me decide whats best. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.