Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

UK Mental Health Nurse emigrating to British Columbia Canada

UK Mental Health Nurse emigrating to British Columbia Canada

Old Jun 12th 2015, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

George_K is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Mental Health Nurse emigrating to British Columbia Canada

I'm a Masters qualified mental health nurse in the UK with just over 6 months experience (forensic inpatient). I'm very keen on moving to British Columbia to practice as an RMN, and I've done a fair bit of research about how to register with NNAS and CRNBC.

I'm still however a bit confused about what order to do things in... Nurse Vancouver suggest that you obtain a job offer BEFORE you begin the registration and immigration process, however when you search for jobs, they ask for you to be registered with the CRNBC before you apply.

Does anyone have experience of undetaking this process and if so could they offer some advice? I'd be hugely grateful.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Mental Health Nurse emigrating to British Columbia Canada

I would suggest getting NNAS and CRNBC before looking for employer. As you have seen most jobs require registration or approval to sit exam and unfortunately process is time consuming
Old Jun 13th 2015, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant, thanks for the info. Yeah I've heard it can take some time. Are there any huge differences in practicing as a nurse in the UK and Canada?
Old Jun 13th 2015, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for Ns and would say yes there are some differences but more to do with lack of GP and that GP's work in the hospitals as well as in the community
Old Aug 5th 2015, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

katewalsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm in a very similar situation.
RMN with 2 years experience in forensics. Looking at working in BC.
I just want some assurance in seeing another UK nurse who's been successful with NNAS.
Thinking of submitting my application soon anyway and get the ball rolling!!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

I'm going to apply in the next 2-3 months, well that's the plan anyway. I'd be really keen to hear how it goes when you apply! Have you seen any jobs that take your fancy yet? I'm looking at Vancouver, but still haven't fully worked out cost of living yet? Pay is a lot more than here though!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Yeah definitely.
Well there is a Forensic Hospital about half an hour out of Vancouver in Coquitlam if you're looking at staying in forensics.
I did look into that initially and maybe house sharing to save money.

I have some family on Vancouver Island who I've visited a few times already.
My plan is to go out there next year and hopefully work as a nursing assistant on a work permit to get a feel for it.
Maybe by that time we'll know a bit more about this NNAS process

Surely being educated as Masters level should equal the current BSc in BC though?
My degree is a BA in Nursing (Mental Health), I'm thinking I might need a top up course, who knows?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katewalsh
Yeah definitely.
Well there is a Forensic Hospital about half an hour out of Vancouver in Coquitlam if you're looking at staying in forensics.
I did look into that initially and maybe house sharing to save money.

I have some family on Vancouver Island who I've visited a few times already.
My plan is to go out there next year and hopefully work as a nursing assistant on a work permit to get a feel for it.
Maybe by that time we'll know a bit more about this NNAS process

Surely being educated as Masters level should equal the current BSc in BC though?
My degree is a BA in Nursing (Mental Health), I'm thinking I might need a top up course, who knows?
I'd suggest you ask on the Canadian forums, where lots of nurses hang out that will be able to help you, including Silverdragon who is always super helpful. George_K - you can also ask about the cost of living there, figure it'll be a bit higher than the UK if you go to BC as a rough guide, some things are cheaper and some more expensive but it'll even out at about the same or maybe a bit more.

Just from reading other threads I'm sure your masters won't be enough and you'll need top up courses, gotta love the Canadians and their pieces of paper.

You mention a work permit for a nursing assistant, if you're under 30 and can get an IEC then that's possible, but a normal TWP could be tricky due to the LMIA being unlikely.

Maybe see in you both in the Canada forums, good luck.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

I'll probably try something else other than Forensic, maybe something community based, although hospital setting will probably give me a better idea of what it's like over there. I'll def be house sharing too I reckon. I think it's at least equivalent, and yours should be too. I think the conversion work and exam should be enough.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd suggest you ask on the Canadian forums, where lots of nurses hang out that will be able to help you, including Silverdragon who is always super helpful. George_K - you can also ask about the cost of living there, figure it'll be a bit higher than the UK if you go to BC as a rough guide, some things are cheaper and some more expensive but it'll even out at about the same or maybe a bit more.

Just from reading other threads I'm sure your masters won't be enough and you'll need top up courses, gotta love the Canadians and their pieces of paper.

You mention a work permit for a nursing assistant, if you're under 30 and can get an IEC then that's possible, but a normal TWP could be tricky due to the LMIA being unlikely.

Maybe see in you both in the Canada forums, good luck.
Thanks, that's really helpful
Old Aug 5th 2015, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!
Didn't know about the IEC, sounds ideal. Yes I'm 23 so hopefully will be eligible.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Could anyone clear up a bit of confusion for me?

Do you register with either the CRNBC or CRPNBC, or both?

Also, are there any differences between the two, ie in terms of the speed they process your application? Considering I'll be going for RPN surely CRPNBC is the better option?
Old Aug 13th 2015, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

CRPNBC is specific to psychiatric nurses where CRNBC covers all nurses. CRPNBC May have restrictions on where you work. Appears you have to go through NNAS fist regardless and I haven't seen anyone post that they have gone through the process and how long it took
Old Aug 13th 2015, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm gonna have to get the NNAS ball rolling despite the amount of trepidation I have!