Newly qualified nurse in Canada??

Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

haffy01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newly qualified nurse in Canada??

Hiya all! I am a third year peads nursing student in the UK who may be relocating to Canada after I graduate. From what I understand from other people's posts is that you need 12 months experience but I won't have that as I'm moving after getting married (my partner is Canadian) so I won't have the chance to work here first as we have already waited so much. Anyone know if it's possible to move over and then start working as some sort of nursing assistant or something in order to build up experience if that's what they want. I'm not in a rush to begin working immediately so don't mind how long it will take.

Also, how many weeks/months of each area (adult, peads, mental health and obstetrics) counts as enough experience to register with the nurse association?

Thank you in advance! ☺️☺️
Old Jul 18th 2015, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly qualified nurse in Canada??

Each province has their own requirements however as a IEN (International Educated Nurse) you must go through NNAS before applying to the province and that process alone can take between 1-2 years. I would suggest asking the college of RN what hours clinical and theory are required. I can not remember seeing 12 months requirement needed but working as a nursing assistant will not count towards RN experience.

Which province are you looking at for working and living?
Old Jul 18th 2015, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

haffy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Each province has their own requirements however as a IEN (International Educated Nurse) you must go through NNAS before applying to the province and that process alone can take between 1-2 years. I would suggest asking the college of RN what hours clinical and theory are required. I can not remember seeing 12 months requirement needed but working as a nursing assistant will not count towards RN experience.

Which province are you looking at for working and living?
Thank you for the reply! My partner lives in Quebec and so we will be living there but I won't be able to work there as I know about five words in French in total! We are planning on living there for a year as he is working and then relocating to Ontario. Would it be best to apply through NNAS for Ontario from the very beginning then as it will probably take a year anyway or would I not be able to do that whilst living in Quebec?
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

You can start that process as soon as you graduate. You do not need to be living in Canada to start or go through NNAS. Jobs are not plentiful in Ontario and for IEN's the process just for CNO can take years. (just a heads up) Check out the Canadian forum and do a search for nurse, nursing etc and see the issues some members have been having
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
I am an adult trained nurse qualifying in March. Myself, my husband (who is a plumber) and our two children (3,4) want to move to Canada. We are looking at Calgary, Vancouver so far but are open to anywhere!
From doing continuous reading its apparent my hours in paeds and maternity will not match up. I have done a 60 hours mental health placement. We do come across children and maternity during every day work as a nurse I:e doctors surgeries, in the community, ICU, Emergency room. We also had to do a maternity theory pack.
My question is how do I make up the hours? I know people are saying it's possible but how is this done? What course do I need to do and is it done via the UK before I apply or is it done post application when we have moved to Canada?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I cannot imagine living anywhere else now.
Thank you
Kerry
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't think it is possible in the UK to make up the hours. Clinical and theory must be done at the same time. The only way that I can think of is to go through the application process and see what the college decides. Courses may be available at provincial level but I think it will cost $$
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply!
So it could be a case of topping up once we are over there? I don't mind paying the price at all to get to where I need to be. It's such a complicated process. My husband is a plumber and it seems even more difficult for him to be honest!
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, usually some form of physical assessment is asked for and then a decision is made
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

That's excellent, thank you.
Old May 1st 2016, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

ponylife is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the impression the year working in nursing was for visa purposes rather than nursing regulations, NNAS just asked whether you had been registered in the UK, Im assuming just by graduating uni and applying to the NMC you become 'registered'? I'm hoping anyway!