British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/worst-best-things-about-moving-back-uk-nz-906240/)

BtotheR Nov 25th 2017 5:37 am

Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

With a number of posts (myself included) of people thinking of moving back I thought it would be really interesting to see what people who have either moved back to the UK full time or gone back and forth between New Zealand and the UK recently have found to be positive and negative about going back.

Would be great to get some of this from people who have recently made the move back to the UK :thumbsup:

Here's a few things for me when I moved back to the uk some 12 years ago (I have been back in nz for 10 years since):

Worst: higher competition for jobs, people everywhere, dirty cities, civil unrest in your face, Bad coffee, bad weather, expensive car insurance, dark by 4 PM in the winter.

Best: better houses, beer, pubs, banter, open countryside for all to roam, europe close by, history, British music, House parties where men and women mixed, cold Christmases, double glazing, football, British tv, family close by.

barnsleymat Nov 25th 2017 7:42 am

Re: Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Cons: Traffic, car insurance

Pros: Gigs and festivals, bustling cities, lots of things to see and do, everything is close by, great pubs, affordable beer, groceries less than half price, cheap utility bills, well built houses, affordable housing, warm housing, central heating, double glazing, 39p cucumbers, real news, great tv, cheap vehicles, better weather (Yorkshire v Dunedin), comedy gigs, proper sense of humour, 39p cucumbers, nightlife options, family days out, having money in my bank account, BBC6Music, London, holidays, cheap flights to Europe, budget hotels, noisy football matches, great clothes shops, being able to walk my dog wherever I want, fresh food, Aldi, motorways, facinating historic building and places, many job opportunities...... and 39p cucumbers.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 25th 2017 8:25 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12388801)
Cons: Traffic, car insurance

Pros: Gigs and festivals, bustling cities, lots of things to see and do, everything is close by, great pubs, affordable beer, groceries less than half price, cheap utility bills, well built houses, affordable housing, warm housing, central heating, double glazing, 39p cucumbers, real news, great tv, cheap vehicles, better weather (Yorkshire v Dunedin), comedy gigs, proper sense of humour, 39p cucumbers, nightlife options, family days out, having money in my bank account, BBC6Music, London, holidays, cheap flights to Europe, budget hotels, noisy football matches, great clothes shops, being able to walk my dog wherever I want, fresh food, Aldi, motorways, facinating historic building and places, many job opportunities...... and 39p cucumbers.

Barnsleymat you forgot to mention about the price of cucumbers :confused:

Jon.B Nov 25th 2017 11:16 am

I'm planning on making the move to NZ next year and it's interesting that 'being able to walk my dog wherever it want' and 'open countryside for all to roam' both crop up.
I've been on holiday to NZ 5 times (only North island) and never noticed any restrictions on dog walking or access to the countryside. Can someone please explain what I am missing?

Thanks

Robbie2010 Nov 25th 2017 6:55 pm

Dogs are not allowed in areas administered by DOC. This includes campsites, conservation areas, wildlife refuges and walking tracks and trails.

Justcol Nov 26th 2017 5:40 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12388801)

Pros: Aldi,

:huh: :blink:

Now I know you're just making it up and taking the piss. . . . :rofl:

Justcol Nov 26th 2017 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Jon.B (Post 12388854)
I'm planning on making the move to NZ next year and it's interesting that 'being able to walk my dog wherever it want' and 'open countryside for all to roam' both crop up.
I've been on holiday to NZ 5 times (only North island) and never noticed any restrictions on dog walking or access to the countryside. Can someone please explain what I am missing?

Thanks

Whether you notice it or not I guess depends on where you've been, whether you had a dog with you and whether you looked for it or not. Many towns dont allow dogs into the CBD, national parks and some beaches also have restrictions. Bear in mind NZ doesnt have a right to roam or the public right of way footpaths that the uk has. You may find yourself in an area where all you can see is green pastures, paddocks, hills covered in native bush and you will not be allowed access to any of it as its all privately owned. Dogs that may worry livestock or chase / harm native species are a concern. You need to be careful of areas where 1080 drops have occurred as it can linger for months. That said, there are still plenty of places where dogs are welcome and people can wander where ever they want

This might help
(you need to zoom right in for all legend details)

https://www.wams.org.nz/wams_desktop/index.html

Shard Nov 26th 2017 7:22 am

What's with the car insurance in NZ? On the Canadian forum, many decry the expensive Canadian car insurance vs the cheap insurance in Blighty.

Justcol Nov 26th 2017 8:11 am

its not a legal requirement

Shard Nov 26th 2017 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12389220)
its not a legal requirement

Any insurance or just comprehensive?

barnsleymat Nov 26th 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12389189)
:huh: :blink:

Now I know you're just making it up and taking the piss. . . . :rofl:

One of my nz mates just commented on one of my Facebook posts saying cauliflowers are $7.50 at Countdown. Trust me, i love Aldi. I take sandwiches :)

Robbie2010 Nov 26th 2017 1:26 pm

Have to agree barnsleymat ... Aldi & Lidl are great!

simonsi Nov 26th 2017 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12389233)
Any insurance or just comprehensive?

Any, no legal requirement to have any insurance in NZ - so its extra good to have it in case you are involved with an uninsured driver.

Apparently the take-up rate is comparable with countries having compulsory insurance (where cars/drivers still not 100% covered), but I don't have first hand info on that.

BtotheR Nov 27th 2017 3:45 am

So back to the original thread....

Best and Worst things about moving back to the UK from NZ :) Thanks so far BarnsleyMat :)

BEVS Nov 27th 2017 4:37 am

Are you asking re UK as yours seems to be about the UK. Not NZ.

Shouldn't there be 4 lots.

Best/Worse UK : Best/worst NZ

I originally thought this was better placed in the UK forum but see you may have ping ponged?

When are you moving back then.

confused.com.