Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

RWC - Triumph or flop?

RWC - Triumph or flop?

Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:22 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RWC - Triumph or flop?

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Bets me why you would watch something or indeed read anything that you clealy hate and gets you so worked up.

That can't be good for your mental health.
This is New Zealand we're talking about the only away to escape the curse of the rwc is to leave the country and head for somewhere out of radio/tv contact.

If one has to stay it's better to accept that resistance is futile and wait for the all clear to sound.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:26 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I dunno so much. Martin Devlin is a tw@t . An arsy tw@t. I can't stick the one eyed reports either.

To me the people that feel the need to jeer and make loud disparaging remarks about those, or to those from other nations are the ones with the problem as that is clearly not healthy really.

We had this Saturday night from a bloke making assumptions about us based on our accents. Didn't know the bloke from Adam. Instead of celebrating the game and actually properly watching the rugby he chose to come out with intermittent bursts of complete and utter barracking rubbish. We're not even French for goodness sake. In the end I was moved to ask him if he was usually a bit of a tosser or did it come with the jersey he was wearing. Pathetic .

Husband says it reminds him of football fans from back in the 70's
All very immature isn't it. From the small bit of commentary I've seen over here on Sky Sports the Australian commentators have been generally very complementary of all the teams, regardless of what nation they're from.

They just love their sport here and take delight in seeing it played well.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I thought you where from Englandshire BEVS?
We iz both from Englandshire which made it all the more bizarre . We think it was the Northern Hemisphere thing . At least, that's our theory.

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
It would be nice to be in the country of the winning team for once!
You were. RWC 2003 . England.

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Being in the country of the losing team when you are an English cricket fan is also enjoyable, in my experience
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:12 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

You were. RWC 2003 . England
I only started watching rugby after visiting NZ in 2006. Once I'd seen the "calibre" of the men in black ...
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:23 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi

They just love their sport here and take delight in seeing it played well.
You obviously weren't at those cricket tests and one-dayers in Australia in the eighties when the chant was 'Hadlee is a wanker' by a crowd of 40,000, or when he was pelted with cans and bottles while fielding on the boundary ... or at the games in the nineties when the chant was 'John Bracewell is a wanker' ... or when Trevor Chappell bowled underarm to prevent a six being hit ... or when Greg Dyer, I think it was, flicked off the bail with his finger and claimed a stumping ... or the game when the chant was ... oh ... forget it.
Oh yeah ... the Aussies are really sportsmanlike, and the kiwis are just completely up themselves. Lol.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
You obviously weren't at those cricket tests and one-dayers in Australia in the eighties when the chant was 'Hadlee is a wanker' by a crowd of 40,000, or when he was pelted with cans and bottles while fielding on the boundary ... or at the games in the nineties when the chant was 'John Bracewell is a wanker' ... or when Trevor Chappell bowled underarm to prevent a six being hit ... or when Greg Dyer, I think it was, flicked off the bail with his finger and claimed a stumping ... or the game when the chant was ... oh ... forget it.
Oh yeah ... the Aussies are really sportsmanlike, and the kiwis are just completely up themselves. Lol.
You're right - I wasn't! 80s and 90s hey? Australia must've moved on a lot in the last 20 to 30 years.

IMO cricket's even more boring than rugby, but other people enjoy it so it's all good
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:41 pm

You're right - I wasn't! 80s and 90s hey? Australia must've moved on a lot in the last 20 to 30 years.
Sure they have. Their players don't have a reputation for being the worst sledgers in cricket for nothing.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:50 pm
`

Barmy Army anyone?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:01 pm

Barmy Army anyone?
I actually love the Barmy Army. They add to the atmosphere. It's all good natured fun with them, from what I've witnessed anyway. The aussie chants were quite fun at the end of the day too. It's only when they start throwing things that it goes a bit haywire.

Perhaps Expat Kiwi would like to look at all these really nice, pleasant Australian fans, who just enjoy sport and clap at all the great play by the opposition, at an Australia-England one-dayer from a few years back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfev0na-gr8

Last edited by waikatoguy; Sep 25th 2011 at 6:46 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:15 pm
`

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I only started watching rugby after visiting NZ in 2006. Once I'd seen the "calibre" of the men in black ...
Shame is that TBH that you've only got into the sport now where there isn't too much comes by in the way of teams . You've missed out on some stonkingly quality 'calibre' stripped out in an assortment of colours .
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Sure they have. Their players don't have a reputation for being the worst sledgers in cricket for nothing.
That'll be from using snow balls. They always turn to mush.

The Barmy Army are a fine band of patriots. Long may they rampage.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:48 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

We iz both from Englandshire which made it all the more bizarre . We think it was the Northern Hemisphere thing . At least, that's our theory.
You might be right though, New Zillund is a long way from civilisation and stuff.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:29 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Shame is that TBH that you've only got into the sport now where there isn't too much comes by in the way of teams . You've missed out on some stonkingly quality 'calibre' stripped out in an assortment of colours .
No, not really. I've not missed out. I was a mad football supporter back in London/UK. Season ticket holder for a well known Premiership London team, at the footie most weekends. But it's rugby here so I adapted!
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

This is New Zealand we're talking about the only away to escape the curse of the rwc is to leave the country and head for somewhere out of radio/tv contact.

If one has to stay it's better to accept that resistance is futile and wait for the all clear to sound.
I beg your pardon. I forgot you are the expert on all things NZ.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say those NZ supporters are drunk at all. It is their way. They think it's OK to be that way. Rude. Disrepsectful and all that. I just don't know how or why it has become acceptable here. So rude of other's national anthems. So rude to other teams on the field. So rude & aggressive - right in your face barracking - to other rugby supporters. It just ain't nice.

As they say at a London Irish match before a goal kick.

"Quiet in the stadium please"
You have never been a Kiwi supporter in Aus Bev.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.