Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Planning to move to NZ

Planning to move to NZ

Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Alivingstone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning to move to NZ

Hey, my name is Alex I'm 18 years old and currently living in Cheshire, England. For years my dream has always been to move away to New Zealand, I don't know where it came from but I'm in awe of the place. Few things about me are that I play a lot of sport, mainly cricket and football, (cricket helps over there).

About my job, I'm currently an Apprentice Mechanical Engineer for a plastics firm in Rochdale doing a 2 yr apprenticeship, of which I have just started but loving every minute of it, and in my contract I have to work for 4 years after that. I will also be doing a ONC qualification to further my training. So I'm wondering that after my contract is up what will the likelyhood be that I'll be able to find work over in NZ, as I've seen Mechanical Engineering is on the long term shrotage list as well as skilled occupations.

I was looking at points and by the time my contract were to finish and I will move away (approximately 24-25 y/o) my points tally will be over 100.

Thanks,
Alex
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:06 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to NZ

Hi Alex and welcome to BE,

It's good that you have a long term goal and are working towards a skill!

I'm going to correct a few things however.
When you mention mechanical engineers being on the skills shortage lists it refers to those that can fulfill these conditions:
A Washington Accord accredited engineering degree OR Either a qualification specifically recognised by NZQA as comparable to a: Bachelor of Engineering, or Bachelor of Engineering (with Honours), or Master of Engineering degree OR A bachelor degree (Level 7) or higher with a letter from IPENZ certifying that the degree and any further learning meets the academic requirements for registration as a 'Chartered Professional Engineer' in New Zealand OR NZ registration as a 'Chartered Professional Engineer'
Also the skills shortage lists can change over time.

Have a look here for your occupation: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]&num=&view=

Obviously you're looking at least 6 years into the future. Another thing to bear in mind is that just having over 100 points does not necessarily mean you have a good chance of getting a visa. Currently you need >140 or 100-135 with a job offer to get selected. This could change by the time you're applying!
Or there may always be a complete revamp of the visa system-who knows!

Now, it's not all doom and gloom! When you can leave your job you will be 24. A working holiday visa might be a good choice. It can be for either 12 or 23 months, it gets you to NZ and allows you to do temporary work only. But, this can be a way of sussing out permanent work. You then apply for another visa when you have a job offer in place if you want to stay permanently. Since you will probably need a job offer to get a visa anyway then this is an easier way to get employers take take you seriously.

All the best!
P
Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

Keep an eye on accredited companies in your field of work and, where possible, try to get to expositions in the UK too.
If not, keep an eye on their websites as they'll give you up to date info on what they're looking for experience/skills/qualifications wise, within their job descriptions.
Also; start saving now
My hubby is an engineer and met his current employers at an expo. We move out there in March and have been saving for the best part of four years to get to this part!
Good luck with everything
Old Feb 15th 2014, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Originally Posted by Persephone
When you can leave your job you will be 24. A working holiday visa might be a good choice. It can be for either 12 or 23 months, it gets you to NZ and allows you to do temporary work only. But, this can be a way of sussing out permanent work. You then apply for another visa when you have a job offer in place if you want to stay permanently. Since you will probably need a job offer to get a visa anyway then this is an easier way to get employers take take you seriously.

P
Bingo - worked for me...

I wish I knew at 18 what I wanted to do a 24.