Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ is so expensive

NZ is so expensive

Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ is so expensive

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Honestly, I have never in my life seen or heard such poverty case as I have here.
you can't have seen much of the urban north, or east london. there's nothing - nothing - like that in these fair isles
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
yep a frozen pineapple lump was what did for my filling 2 years ago

deadly they are
Mine was a curly, wurly. £400 for a crown. Note to self 'do not confiscate pupils sweets then eat them myself'.
Also Uk uni fees, from this year most uni's charging £9,000 in fees. Not even just the top one's even one's like Leicester (no offense to anyone that went to Leicester. That is a lot of debt for 3 years when you add living costs, books ect.
Kaz
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:34 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
you can't have seen much of the urban north, or east london. there's nothing - nothing - like that in these fair isles
tosh, how many kids in the UK can't afford shoes, or breakfast, even in the grim north.
how many Churches have food collections every week for the local poor in the UK? I can see three from where I'm sitting and we're in decile 1/2.
might look nice hereabouts but if it weren't for tight knit communities then plenty of NZ would be far far worse, and worse than the UK. hats off to those matriarchs (and community stalwarts) who hold it all together.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:38 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babybella
Mine was a curly, wurly. £400 for a crown. Note to self 'do not confiscate pupils sweets then eat them myself'.
Also Uk uni fees, from this year most uni's charging £9,000 in fees. Not even just the top one's even one's like Leicester (no offense to anyone that went to Leicester. That is a lot of debt for 3 years when you add living costs, books ect.
Kaz
Maybe you could have used it as a lesson for the kids and let them know there is a reason not to munch on sticky lollies.
One before the pascal incident for me was 2 weeks before we were due to fly out here. Barrister's chambers in Temple, London. The cheapskates kept really old toffees there and I chomped down on one to allay my nerves to feel half the tooth go - then had to sit through the Con. as the expert witness with a tongue wanting to explore the inside of the cavity. Thought about biting it off. Got a temp filling and it's still good 5 years down the line.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:45 pm
you dewty owld maan!

On the subject of Uni fees, can't any bugger enroll on some degree courses in NZ with no real academic competition for places in many of the degrees.
If that is the case the surely they should be handing over more dosh in fees...........or am I being an elitist tosser?
I had to work damn hard to get my sponsorship to get into Chem Eng then work bloody hard in the summer in a stinking chemical plant to earn enough money to live in London.
Then me roomate, who's daddy owned a company employing 25 people got the full grant thanks to some creative accountancy, but he pissed it all away dropping out of Civ. Eng within 2 years. And there was another tosser in college when I was grafting away making novel molecules in a really really toxic stinkin lab, who's dad was some Director of BP and inspite of him failing some liberal arts course was given a pass due to "extenuating circumstances", what were those then? Dad's a Director of BP I suppose.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
As a born and raised kiwi, I find it sad to see how things have changed here regarding prices. I left these shores 24 years ago and in the first decade, when ever I came back I was the wealthy relation spending my £££ on $$$. Things started to change in the second decade where my £ started to buy less (even though the exchange rate was still $3 at that stage). Today prices are similar between London and Auckland in my own experience which shocks me.

Don't forget that prices are going up the world over, so I don't think NZ is alone in this. I don't understand the economic arguments but I think the current financial structures are to blame. Those of us who left the UK recently can report significant prices rises in the shops and in utilities. Giants like Tesco's can drive prices down to a degree but other retailers are suffering. In March this year I noticed that in shops like M&S the quality of the clothing had dropped and some of it looked more like the junk you buy at Primark, but not at Primark prices. In other words, it was more like here. Is this a trend?

Having said this, expats are hitting a double-whammy right now. High prices, low wages and a dreadful exchange rate - whoops that's a tripple whammy!
Regarding the terrible exchange rate for people who might be changing up now..they will find NZ unbelievably expensive. The pound has lost about 8 cents on the kiwi in about 2 days inspite of the OCR announcement yesterday saying it will stay at 2.5% until at least next June/July (it was supposed to be going up this xmas). This shite news (for any currency) actually gave the kiwi a rally! And the kiwi is getting stronger inspite of falling comodity prices (the kiwi's value is very much linked to the latter) and inspite of the fact of some poor figures out by treasury AND a drop in business confidence. The eurozone's apparent sorting of it's immediate problems appears to have really bouyed the kiwi. Yet again 2.04 is looking REALLY hot eh?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:04 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
tosh, how many kids in the UK can't afford shoes, or breakfast, even in the grim north.
Britain has an appalling child poverty rate too. I'm not defending NZ's here, not at all, but if you think seeing kids in NZ shoeless and without breakfast means the same poverty doesn't exist in Britain, you are very much misguided. Firstly, shoe wearing isn't an indicator of poverty when you're comparing two different countries with different cultural attitudes to shoes. Secondly, British kids go to school without breakfast, it's a huge problem on an almost unimaginable scale but it is curiously hidden from much of the population.

By 2008/09, 13m people were in poverty. Of these, 5.8m (44% of the total) were in ‘deep poverty’ (household income at least one-third below
the poverty line), the highest proportion on record.
http://www.jrf.org.uk/
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:21 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Firstly, shoe wearing isn't an indicator of poverty when you're comparing two different countries with different cultural attitudes to shoes.
That's true. When I was a kid at primary school in the late 60's/early 70's (showing my age), here in the Waikato, I used to kick off my shoes roughly around the time I entered the school gate.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:38 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking of footwear ....

How do you spot a newly arrived British Immigrant?

They're the ones wearing sandals and socks on the beach.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Take the blinkers off and take a look at some of those hideous crumbling sink estates or streets full of boarded up houses and shops. Do you really think kids living amongst that are going to be wearing nice shoes* and enjoying a wholesome diet?

Ever checked out the life expectancy for those areas? I know that in London it varies from the low sixties to the high eighties, depending on your postcode.

Wakey-wakey

*Legitimately acquired

Last edited by DC10; Oct 28th 2011 at 7:48 am.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Nz is so expensive?

where not So expensive eh.

there's no where on earth you could find somewhere very cheap and well civilized.

Last edited by crap coffee; Oct 28th 2011 at 8:21 am.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

jmb, I agree with what you said. It's a worrying trend that prices are going up all over the world and wonder where its all going to end. I think folks should be more concerned about those rising prices than about global warming or all the other secondary issues around.

I believe that my parents who lived all their life in council houses in the UK. and my Dad, who never had a car, had in the end, a much better standard of living than myself or many others. Why? Because he never had to worry about money as he know his rent and food bills didn't exceed his earnings.

And, I agree with you about the crap M&S are now producing (Just like the Warehouse here). I was lookng at some clothes I'd bought several years ago at M&S and there was no comparison to the stuff they are producing now.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

ppl who live in council flats and on the dole, often they're better off than us.

I really don't understand why ppl who work full time (ex - taxi drivers - making GOOD money) - why do still they live in a council flat?, and pay rent only (max) $165 a week? and going to holidays in USA. WHY? and why govt let them live there for life time? This is something logically makes no sense to me. Its crazy.

Last edited by crap coffee; Oct 28th 2011 at 8:33 am.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:34 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Speaking of footwear ....

How do you spot a newly arrived British Immigrant?

They're the ones wearing sandals and socks on the beach.
Speaking of footwear...

how do you spot a British Immigrant after a couple of years?

They're the ones wearing Nike running shoes for a quick getaway.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:16 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by DC10
Take the blinkers off and take a look at some of those hideous crumbling sink estates or streets full of boarded up houses and shops.....
yep lived there as a child and adult in sink estates and run-down pit villages, was schooled there and I've done work there so I have a little knowledge, and yes some of those places are anti-social holes but there are many people in NZ that live on less that those folks.
again tell me where there in the UK there are collections made of used kids shoes for other UK kids that don't have them. we have these collections for kids in NZ without shoes - we gave pairs to such a collection a couple of weeks ago.
same with handouts of food for kids who come to school with nothing inside them. where are these in the UK? do you get the state or DHBs feeding kids breakfast when they arrive at school in the UK? most Kiwis were shocked when the figures detailing this very issue were disclosed a few months ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.