Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand PR permit holder reports back (Don Pleasance)

New Zealand PR permit holder reports back (Don Pleasance)

Old Apr 1st 2004, 10:20 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Tom, you best photo's are of Dartmoor

jib
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I cant believe he is still a member....still..proves one of my theories
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

PP - sorry totally off topic but -

Have been using the search thing for bits about Titirangi as my best pal from Ukers has just arrived in Auckland & this is the area they have fallen in love with & want to buy in and noticed you used to live there. Her hubby is a mental health nurse too!
It all looks gorgeous, why do you prefer Adelaide to there?

She was shocked at the property prices though :scared: but all good areas have their price I suppose.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hi Di...no worries

I wonder if he works at the same place my hubby was at.

I totally loved the area of Titirangi. It is stunningly beautiful, and yes, that is reflected in the house prices. My main problem with it was the lack of social facilities. OK, theres a handful of lovely cafes there, but that side of Auckalnd used to be a "Dry" area and still to this day they have funny rules and regulations about drinking which means pubs are rarer than hens teeth. (yes it is 2004)

My main dislike was not Titirangi itself, but Auckland in general, and also the anti Brittish undercurrent that is always prevalent no matter where you go, although to be fair, i think the chinese and japanese are next on their hate list as they feel invaded by them too.

Of course not everyone is like that, and we have some great friends there, but it really does get tiresome after a while.

I dont want ot put htem off as this is only my opinion and experience of Auckland..pthers may be totally different.

All i will say is, Adelaide is a dream in comparison. The people are extremely friendly, not come across a single chip on shoulder yet and the facilites and array of different scenery and lifestyles available is much more diverse.

hope that helps
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

means pubs are rarer than hens teeth. (yes it is 2004)

======

LOL - she said on the phone she was desperate to just go to the pub and have a drink...

Hopefully they will manage to settle there and be happy so I can have a lovely holiday there.

Thanks for your views
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:52 am
idocnz

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by idocnz
Well that's exactly my point pinhead so stay out or the entire world will end up as f**cked up as ENGLAND
Your Country is still *****ed though.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 10:25 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

what a fantastic thread! about time this forum has some good old kiwi bashing!

I especially like the way you brought up a 1 year old thread idocnz from don. especially one that I thought was the most accurate decription of NZ I've read on here for a long time. you should have found one from Wilf - that would have given you more to work with.

much of what you say is out of order - except one thing:

that british people accuse other cultures of having 'chips on shoulders', being narrow minded, limited in outlook or whatever, when in fact many british people carry exactly the same views.

Not just some British people, but some Ozzies, Kiwis, Americans etc etc all share this view. It's natural and common thing for people from all cultures to do - i.e. they romanticise their own country to the detriment of others.

The thing is, that few people ever seem to see it in themselves - only in others.

I can't help but agree with some of the things you say - purely because I'm a foreigner living in Britain - the degree to which I believe or agree with your comments lessens as you scratch beneath the surface.

But nice original troll. Your aim is to put others off from emigrating to NZ so you can keep it to yourself? Good angle. Hope to see more of your work.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 12:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by idocnz
Hey numbnuts. Quit the insults about the members on this board and the vitriolic hatred of my country. Either play nice or piss off.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanx Manc... i was wondering when a moderator would notice!!

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:06 pm
WBB

Originally posted by podgypossum
Thanx Manc... i was wondering when a moderator would notice!!

they can't read all the threads, but there is the PM option!

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

i know..but i dont like telling tales
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:11 pm
WBB

Originally posted by podgypossum
i know..but i dont like telling tales
who said anything about telling tales? i was thinking more laterally.

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:17 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Missed all the fun but thanks for reminding me of an old post.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:37 pm
idocnz

If you like England so much more than I do then why are you living in the US of A? Do you realize also how mund-numbingly boring these forums are without a bit of baiting - just a bunch of Poms whining on about how there aren't enough Pubs in Tiitirangi , how they get stared at when they open their mouths and utter their Yorkshire accents , how immigrants aren't liked liked enough in Hamilton - mmm riveting stuff I must say. If they don't like it then why in Gods name don't they return to England . We won't miss them I can assure you .

At least I'm provoking some lively conversation here even if i might be a bit out of line on a British Expat Forum . I'm an environmentalist at heart and it saddens me to see the greedy 'foreign investment' in the foreshores of our oceans and lakes , the levelling of beach cottages with charm and character to be replaced by hideous Euro styled monstrosities. If the population of NZ remains at about 4,000,000 then the environment can probably be sustained with good conservation management - more people will threaten all that makes NZ the visually spectacular country that it is . Just look at the effects of overpopulation in the UK - smog, overcrowding , appalling traffic . Given the British propensity to turn every foreign country into another suburb of London and ignore foreign customs it's little wonder New Zealanders are getting annoyed even if half their ancestors were in fact British and reponsible for the wholesale destruction of thousands of square miles of virgin forests and the introduction of noxious pests , namely deer, rats , rabbits and gorse to make the new country seem a little more like home .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.