Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New NZ Corrections transferee's

New NZ Corrections transferee's

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all
Default Re: New NZ Corrections transferee's

Originally Posted by Howie181
Hi Willo1892, looked at that Visa but it states salary of $55000...my contract states $51000...so complicated...Corrections Dept stated Essential Work Visa but we're unsure we can apply for the Working to Residency once that runs out...
Thanks
It is 55k after training. Obviously you would need to pass training and get your qualification and get onto 55k. So the salary is 55k but start on what 49k until you graduate. So 55K is the starting salary in a way. I guess it makes sense also for immigration?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Maybe I can help a little with this. Try to make it a bit clearer than mud so you guys can see how it works . Hopefully I will have this right and nothing has changed.

442111 - Corrections officer ( Prison Officer)

This occupation does not appear on any NZ occupation shortage list.

This occupation does not appear on the listings of occupations seen as 'skilled'
(Don't shoot the messenger)

However , this occupation is treated by New Zealand Immigration as
Originally Posted by NZ Immy
Appendix 7 - Occupations treated as exceptions An offer of employment or current employment in New Zealand that is in an occupation listed below is eligible for points for skilled employment (see SM7.10.3).

442111 Prison officer
In theory this means a PO could go for a Skilled Migrant Residency application if they had enough points. The points level at the moment thought is high at 160.

The New Zealand Corrections Dept is what is called a New Zealand Accredited Employer. This means that the Dept pays for the ability to employ overseas people without having to go through the normal employer hoops of proving there is no NZ resident or citizen that could take up or train for the posts. A known ongoing shortage if you like without actually officially acknowledging the turnover of staff.

Therefore the Dept of Corrections NZ is free to employ anyone from overseas.

As has been noted , if one is working for an NZIS Accredited Employer then there is a possibility to apply for residency under the Work to Residence policy however one of those requirements is that the salary be $55K or over.
A stumbling block for sure if the accredited employer does not offer that.

So. What to do.

If you gain a firm long term job offer with the NZ Corrections Dept then you would uplift an Essential Skills temporary work visa. That will be for as long as the term of the contract depending on skill set etc but could be for as long as five years.

For your partner , they would uplift the same visa under the family stream. That allows them to work at anything.

For your school age children , a student visa
For non school age children , a visitor visa.

All visa applications filled in and sent off together as a family.

Next:
If one likes NZ and the job . How to gain residency?
Two ways.
1 - Skilled migrant category as an exception IF you have enough points to be picked. Personally, I say that is a bit of a long shot right now.

2 - Once your pay scale goes up a level to $55K+ then you could try to apply for a variation of conditions which would change the visa from Essential Skills to Work to Residence.

or

3 - You uplift a new visa specifically Work to Residence. After two years you would apply for Residence from Work.

All in all. It takes a bit of time. But it is possible with patience .

Any questions , please ask and I will try my best to answer.

Anyone else that can add or correct any of the above , please feel free.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:53 pm
`

Originally Posted by Howie181
Hi Willo1892, looked at that Visa but it states salary of $55000...my contract states $51000...so complicated...Corrections Dept stated Essential Work Visa but we're unsure we can apply for the Working to Residency once that runs out...
Thanks
Correctomonte.

Start with the Essential Skills visa . It is the only way .
Once you hit the $55K then apply for Work to Residence. You don't have to wait until the other visa runs out. Once you have a contract that fulfills the requirements for WTR then you are good to g.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:54 pm
`

Originally Posted by Shirrom
It is 55k after training. Obviously you would need to pass training and get your qualification and get onto 55k. So the salary is 55k but start on what 49k until you graduate. So 55K is the starting salary in a way. I guess it makes sense also for immigration?
How long is the training ? Is it a year and then one is guaranteed $55K. I think that questions needs to be asked and then confirmed in writing.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Training is the National Certificate level 3 for Offender Management. Corrections say it will/can be done inside a year. Some do it in that timescale ... I know plenty that have taken much longer, it depend which unit you're on.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 10:20 pm
`

ThanksRobbie2010.

I will add that once NZ residency has been gained there is no longer an obligation to remain with the original employer.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Willo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
Maybe I can help a little with this. Try to make it a bit clearer than mud so you guys can see how it works . Hopefully I will have this right and nothing has changed.

This occupation does not appear on the listings of occupations seen as 'skilled'

In theory this means a PO could go for a Skilled Migrant Residency application if they had enough points. The points level at the moment thought is high at 160.

The New Zealand Corrections Dept is what is called a New Zealand Accredited Employer. This means that the Dept pays for the ability to employ overseas people without having to go through the normal employer hoops of proving there is no NZ resident or citizen that could take up or train for the posts. A known ongoing shortage if you like without actually officially acknowledging the turnover of staff.

As has been noted , if one is working for an NZIS Accredited Employer then there is a possibility to apply for residency under the Work to Residence policy however one of those requirements is that the salary be $55K or over.

So. What to do.

If you gain a firm long term job offer with the NZ Corrections Dept then you would uplift an Essential Skills temporary work visa. That will be for as long as the term of the contract depending on skill set etc but could be for as long as five years.

For your partner , they would uplift the same visa under the family stream. That allows them to work at anything.

Next:
Two ways.
1 - Skilled migrant category as an exception IF you have enough points to be picked. Personally, I say that is a bit of a long shot right now.

2 - Once your pay scale goes up a level to $55K+ then you could try to apply for a variation of conditions which would change the visa from Essential Skills to Work to Residence.

or

3 - You uplift a new visa specifically Work to Residence. After two years you would apply for Residence from Work.

Thank you for such a clearer insight into what to look at. You've hopefully saved plenty of hours worth of back and to questions. Big thumbs up!
Old Nov 24th 2016, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

How long is the training ? Is it a year and then one is guaranteed $55K. I think that questions needs to be asked and then confirmed in writing.
Once you get your level 3 wages go up...guaranteed 100%
level 4 gets you another 4 and half K
Old Nov 24th 2016, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Howie181 is an unknown quantity at this point

So. What to do.

Next:
Two ways.

or

BEVS - thank you so much for that, that's the clearest way I've read...made it much easier to understand...Essentials Skills Work Visa it is...then onto WTR after salary uplift...NZ here we come...
Old Nov 24th 2016, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirrom

Some of you folks are over thinking this

The base salary is 50k (ish)

this is what you will be on when you complete your training (graduate if you like)

IF you do your level 3 you will go up to 55k (ish)

Just as I left SHCF a Brit officer arrived with 20years HMP experience
He did a week at collage, then they said don't bother, you know this stuff.
all he had to do was familiarise himself with the computer side of things
and they signed him off a couple of weeks later.

NZ are desperate for staff, they will not bring you half way round the
world for nothing.

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 24th 2016 at 10:35 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 11:30 pm
`

Good news ref the training then Justcol.

So he camer in on Essential Skill temp visa. Did he then do Work to Residence?
Or did he do Skilled Residency when the points were still 140.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have no idea
My reply was more about the money and training than visas
Old Nov 25th 2016, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all

I will be working at Mount Eden. I start on the 22nd May. Will submit visa application shortly. Anyone else going to ve working in Mount Eden?
Old Nov 25th 2016, 9:51 pm
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
I have no idea
My reply was more about the money and training than visas
Okey Dokey.

Sounds like it doesn't take too long to make the magic $55K grading for WTR.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

We came over in 2014, this is what our UK Immigration said to us ......

As your job offers do not meet the minimum base salary requirement under the Work to Residence category, your best option would be to apply under the Essential Skills category. The main difference between the two categories is that Essential Skills is a temporary visa and not a pathway to residency. For Essential Skills applications your employer must complete the Essential supplementary form (INZ1113) as well as provide any supporting documents listed on the form.

After we finished the Officer training, we applied for permanent residency. Gained it a couple of months later.

As Justcol says, the "Levels" are pretty easy to complete. I've only been in Corrections for two years and just passed my level 4's. Takes the salary to about $60K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.