Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Opps forgot to mention that I myself haven't had one Ok sorry, that was a bit like rubbing it in
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Thats what I meant

I was doing 120k on a 100k (62MPH) road. 100k on an open empty road is low IMHO
In your humble opinion or not, the NZ Police are just going to love you
Nothing like a new immigrant flouting the laws to reach their quotas and increase revenue!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

My husband got seven tickets in the first year we were here, that has to be some kind of bloody record! And they were all the unmarked vans parked behind a bush where one speed limit changes down to another- its a good form of revenue for the police.

I'm pleased to say he drives like an old fart now and hasn't has a ticket in over two years
so the system worked then?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by soulflour
so the system worked then?
Anything that hits a father of five in the pocket is sure to work!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:04 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
I am new to this site. We, that's my hubby Mark and two kids aged 12 and 10 decided at the end of last year to emigrate to NZ, although we've never been there. We've put the house on the market, ebayed most unwanted items, paid an emigration consultant and now booked flights for a rekkie in March to Christchurch and the Bay of Plenty, hopefully for interviews and to have a look around at where we might like to settle. I was happy - then I found this thread!!! and now I'm not too sure we're doing the right thing at all.

I spent the morning reading through this and the positive thread and have come to the following conclusion:

We won't be living in our dream home. It'll be a shack. That leaks. And is so cold we'll probably get hypothermia in the first week. Best pack wellies to cope with the condensation, oh, and lots of warm jumpers as they can't be bought for love nor money locally. If we live long enough to get any post we may have to search for our postbox as it will probably have been knocked down by a delivery driver, and we won't be able to sit out and enjoy the garden after work for fear of being eaten alive by the sandflies.

There's no point in packing or paying to transport our TVs as they won't work, possibly, or if they do theres SFA to watch. Our wages will be so menial that we won't be able to afford Sky, so we'll just have to go outside and brave the sandflies.

It would be best to pack Mrs Beatons cookbook, as we won't be able to afford anything but basic rations, oh and a good heavy rolling pin for all that baking and for squishing sandflies.

Our kids, who at present are above average at school will be set upon by the local gangs upon entering their new house of learning, but it won't matter because their eduction will be crap anyway and they'll soon forget to read and write and become druggies and petrol heads and drive very badly, very fast before even finishing puberty. But hey, they'll have a great time with the outdoors life, at least till they end up in prison or rehab.

Meanwhile hubby and I will be working longer hours for less pay and wondering where the quality family time we were in search of went.

We'll end up with haircuts like Emo Philips and i'll have to dress like a bag lady.

We have to avoid onion dip at all cost. Erm, and sausages. And sausage sizzles. If anybody does bother to talk to us it'll only be so's they can moan about England but if we should get lucky enough to be invited round for dinner somewhere we're to take our own meat and drink.

But we'd still have the beach to look forward to right??!! Apparently not!!! If everyone's to be believed it rains all the time, so now I haven't even got that to look forward to!!!!!!

And yes, I do read all these things and base my ideas on it, mainly because you guys who are writing them have actually experienced all this and are therefore infinitely more wise than I am!

Am now wishing we hadn't blown so much of our savings on planning this so far. I'm scared for my kids and for our future!!!!

Could someone please reassure me it's not all bad and give me some hope to cling to??? (talking of cling - I have noted to pack my own supply of cling film).

Thank you. Mandie
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:15 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Hi All,
I am new to this site. We, that's my hubby Mark and two kids aged 12 and 10 decided at the end of last year to emigrate to NZ, although we've never been there. We've put the house on the market, ebayed most unwanted items, paid an emigration consultant and now booked flights for a rekkie in March to Christchurch and the Bay of Plenty, hopefully for interviews and to have a look around at where we might like to settle. I was happy - then I found this thread!!! and now I'm not too sure we're doing the right thing at all.

I spent the morning reading through this and the positive thread and have come to the following conclusion:

We won't be living in our dream home. It'll be a shack. That leaks. And is so cold we'll probably get hypothermia in the first week. Best pack wellies to cope with the condensation, oh, and lots of warm jumpers as they can't be bought for love nor money locally. If we live long enough to get any post we may have to search for our postbox as it will probably have been knocked down by a delivery driver, and we won't be able to sit out and enjoy the garden after work for fear of being eaten alive by the sandflies.

There's no point in packing or paying to transport our TVs as they won't work, possibly, or if they do theres SFA to watch. Our wages will be so menial that we won't be able to afford Sky, so we'll just have to go outside and brave the sandflies.

It would be best to pack Mrs Beatons cookbook, as we won't be able to afford anything but basic rations, oh and a good heavy rolling pin for all that baking and for squishing sandflies.

Our kids, who at present are above average at school will be set upon by the local gangs upon entering their new house of learning, but it won't matter because their eduction will be crap anyway and they'll soon forget to read and write and become druggies and petrol heads and drive very badly, very fast before even finishing puberty. But hey, they'll have a great time with the outdoors life, at least till they end up in prison or rehab.

Meanwhile hubby and I will be working longer hours for less pay and wondering where the quality family time we were in search of went.

We'll end up with haircuts like Emo Philips and i'll have to dress like a bag lady.

We have to avoid onion dip at all cost. Erm, and sausages. And sausage sizzles. If anybody does bother to talk to us it'll only be so's they can moan about England but if we should get lucky enough to be invited round for dinner somewhere we're to take our own meat and drink.

But we'd still have the beach to look forward to right??!! Apparently not!!! If everyone's to be believed it rains all the time, so now I haven't even got that to look forward to!!!!!!

And yes, I do read all these things and base my ideas on it, mainly because you guys who are writing them have actually experienced all this and are therefore infinitely more wise than I am!

Am now wishing we hadn't blown so much of our savings on planning this so far. I'm scared for my kids and for our future!!!!
Welcome to the site and what a fantastic first post

Could someone please reassure me it's not all bad and give me some hope to cling to??? (talking of cling - I have noted to pack my own supply of cling film).

Thank you. Mandie
No, this is the negative thread

Well without being too positive. We came over (read my blog) at the begining of January and we have just submitted our EOI!

Does that tell you enough of what WE think of NZ?

After all everyones opinions are just that THEIR opinions. Carry on with your plans and judge it for yourself.

Remember I started both threads to get BOTH the +'s and the -'s and I have taken onboard lots of what has been written and discarded lots too.

Enjoy the proccess

PS Could you immagine what a NEGATIVE UK thread would read like? Bloody long and very dipressing indead

Last edited by Jack The Lad; Jan 30th 2007 at 3:18 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Correct - but remember that is just my opinion/experience.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

LOL.... what a great post TeamEmbo....love it!! Made me smile after a sleepless night with a newborn!

OK, well, its not all that bad..... true about the sandflies and dont forget the mossies!

Oh, just forgot I'm meant to be negative on this thread. I'll go away then as we love (I mean hate with a vengeance) it here!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:57 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thank you. Mandie

Sums it up perfectly ... cool first post
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

jayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant future

I'm still in the UK. Got an interview later this week for a job based round the Wellington area. It is a bit scary (see team Embo posting above) to be still in the UK, not having visited NZ and reading all this stuff. However, all things have to be put into perspective. These are opinions: someone's sausages from hell, are someone else's caviar Anyway, I have a friend who has recently moved over and he seems to have settled in okay. I'm coming over, job and visa permitting , having taken all the threads on board, with an open mind. I'm sure there'll be lots of things I love and lots I hate. That's life I guess, and coming from Smoke on Trent in the Midlands in the middle of winter seems like the best incentive in the world to take everything NZ can chuck at me and still come out laughing. Cheers!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:47 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thank you. Mandie
Hello and welcome, yea that pretty much sums up your first few months here but for some people it does get better

Why choose NZ though? why not Oz?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

And for other people it isn't like that at all.

Are you serious though? Have you really paid all that money to an agency before coming and looking for yourself?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:57 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

True, she may be able to afford sky.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nerine
True, she may be able to afford sky.
Yeah, she may also have enough sense not to buy a little damp house that looks like a shed. I know there are some around, but its not like there's no other choice.

She may also just be having a laugh, I mean, why would you pay all your savings to emmigrate to a place that you haven't seen?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Hey TeamEmbo, welcome.

Remember all opinions are subjective and ones man's paradise is another man's hell.

All in all, I figure if it's that awful here, everyone would just return home to the UK. You always hear of guy's who went home and realised that they missed NZ so much, they returned within a short while. Remember all the reasons why you want to leave the UK and don't look back with rose coloured specs when you get here.

Although I do miss the UK sometimes especially Plymouth (Ahh) and my wonderful family, my kid's would kill us if we went back.

Sorry, Jack the lad, maybe this post should be on the positive NZ thread.

</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.