Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

Old Apr 20th 2016, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

We initially started off our NZ adventure in Wellington as that's where I got the job offer.
It was fine and I liked it and even though we knew it was often windy we thought it couldn't be that bad......!
Being an avid biker, after 6 months I purchased a motorbike and the effects of the wind were pretty shocking. Even though I was only 10 mins away as a commute I sometimes thought the journey was bordering on dangerous. It was often the same when going out for an enjoyable ride into the Wairarapa. Wellington a nightmare but then calm when getting over the hill (Rimutakkas).
The wind becomes a major factor in life in Wellington. It affects everything you do from a bike ride, a walk, a day on the beach, even having dinner Al Fresco in the garden. The wind chill factor is what ruins it. Wore us down and after a year we'd had enough and wanted better so made plans and arrangements to leave for greener grass. Managed to get a transfer through work and moved up to Tauranga after another 18 months and haven't looked back.
Only other issue we noticed was the majority of events in Wellington are completely overhyped. Nowhere near as good as they are advertised to be.
It is also pretty hilly unless you stay South and East of the city or in the Hutt Valley. Anywhere else you'll have to go up and down the gorge for Northern / Western suburbs and to get to Kapiti Coast.
Think I will always like Wellington and enjoy going back there every now and then to see friends but to live - not for us. I have 10 colleagues living in Wellington and all seem to enjoy life there.
Other than the weather and the overhype it is a pretty decent place to live.
Yes you can get gas central heating boiler and radiators but they are expensive. You'll pay thousands for the boiler then a grand per radiator then a lot in labour for install.
We spent quite a lot of time in Kapiti as the weather was better. It was generally always a few degrees warmer with much less wind. It has decent coffee shops and places to eat but they're all spread out up the coast so we'd go for coffee and food at Raumati Beach then shopping in Paraparaumu. The beach isn't that good unless you're in to dog walking. It's not a sun bathing beach as very windswept with lots of driftwood.
Waikanae is further out and at the end of the line for commuter trains. It'll take around 1 hour from Param on the train or in the car as a commute into the CBD. If in Waikanae it's a little further and longer.
In my opinion too far as a commute.
Transmission Gulley had commenced when we left but it'll take many years to complete. Schedule is by 2024 so another 9 years if all goes to plan and the funding remains This will definitely open up places like Waikanae and others to be within commutable distance to Wellington in the future.

Rest assured the schooling etc is really good around Wellington but majority is zoned so you can only get a place in a school if you live in the zone. You are unlikely to be approved an out of zone place as your child will be bottom of the priority list.

Last edited by escapedtonz; Apr 20th 2016 at 9:00 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs F your house is made from wood with brick cladding as most are in Waikanae!

You will not need central heating, just a heat pump for aircon in summer and for maybe 3 months max in winter. They're a couple of grand to buy and then install. Most places will have them or a wood fire. The temp is usually 5 degrees warmer than Welly and much less windy with a beautiful beach...but if you work in Welly you will have to commute so that's the price to pay for the larger sections and better weather.

There is a cinema in Waikanae (shoreline), 2 supermarkets, restaurants, outdoor swimming pool, library, banks etc, 2 primary schools, and plenty of clubs for kids and adults - scouts, guides, dance, gymnastics, tennis, rugby, swimming, soccer etc. Most children go to Paraparaumu College on the school buses which has just got some of the best NCEA results in Wellington area and some others go to Kapiti College which is also good.

There are theatre groups in Otaki (Otaki Players) who are very friendly and put on shows and musicals, there's also the Kapiti Playhouse in Paraparaumu.

There are all the usual offices such as the council and small businesses for local work. There are larger town centres in Levin and towards Wellington in Porirua for more local work. I have an easy commute up SH1 in 30 mins and OH gets the train to Welly so it suits us well. Both primary schools offer Childcare from 7 am to 7 pm.

If you're on fb, join the group Destination Waikanae for a taste of living here!
Old Apr 20th 2016, 9:57 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
We initially started off our NZ adventure in Wellington as that's where I got the job offer.
It was fine and I liked it and even though we knew it was often windy we thought it couldn't be that bad......!
Being an avid biker, after 6 months I purchased a motorbike and the effects of the wind were pretty shocking. Even though I was only 10 mins away as a commute I sometimes thought the journey was bordering on dangerous. It was often the same when going out for an enjoyable ride into the Wairarapa. Wellington a nightmare but then calm when getting over the hill (Rimutakkas).
The wind becomes a major factor in life in Wellington. It affects everything you do from a bike ride, a walk, a day on the beach, even having dinner Al Fresco in the garden. The wind chill factor is what ruins it. Wore us down and after a year we'd had enough and wanted better so made plans and arrangements to leave for greener grass. Managed to get a transfer through work and moved up to Tauranga after another 18 months and haven't looked back.
Only other issue we noticed was the majority of events in Wellington are completely overhyped. Nowhere near as good as they are advertised to be.
It is also pretty hilly unless you stay South and East of the city or in the Hutt Valley. Anywhere else you'll have to go up and down the gorge for Northern / Western suburbs and to get to Kapiti Coast.
Think I will always like Wellington and enjoy going back there every now and then to see friends but to live - not for us. I have 10 colleagues living in Wellington and all seem to enjoy life there.
Other than the weather and the overhype it is a pretty decent place to live.
Yes you can get gas central heating boiler and radiators but they are expensive. You'll pay thousands for the boiler then a grand per radiator then a lot in labour for install.
We spent quite a lot of time in Kapiti as the weather was better. It was generally always a few degrees warmer with much less wind. It has decent coffee shops and places to eat but they're all spread out up the coast so we'd go for coffee and food at Raumati Beach then shopping in Paraparaumu. The beach isn't that good unless you're in to dog walking. It's not a sun bathing beach as very windswept with lots of driftwood.
Waikanae is further out and at the end of the line for commuter trains. It'll take around 1 hour from Param on the train or in the car as a commute into the CBD. If in Waikanae it's a little further and longer.
In my opinion too far as a commute.
Transmission Gulley had commenced when we left but it'll take many years to complete. Schedule is by 2024 so another 9 years if all goes to plan and the funding remains This will definitely open up places like Waikanae and others to be within commutable distance to Wellington in the future.

Rest assured the schooling etc is really good around Wellington but majority is zoned so you can only get a place in a school if you live in the zone. You are unlikely to be approved an out of zone place as your child will be bottom of the priority list.
Brilliant info. Thanks so much. I just checked and the train from waikanae to welly is 1h exactly or 56mins on the faster service. It's doable as a commute, I've done 1h commute by train before and its slightly on the long side but it beats driving and its amazing how many books you get through..

We'll give Welly/Kapiti a go and we can always move elsewhere in time if necessary. Thanks again.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 10:04 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO

You will not need central heating, just a heat pump for aircon in summer and for maybe 3 months max in winter. They're a couple of grand to buy and then install. Most places will have them or a wood fire. The temp is usually 5 degrees warmer than Welly and much less windy with a beautiful beach...but if you work in Welly you will have to commute so that's the price to pay for the larger sections and better weather.
I like having a proper fire, so that appeals. Good to hear the winter is just 3 months. I'm used to 7 months.

There is a cinema in Waikanae (shoreline), 2 supermarkets, restaurants, outdoor swimming pool, library, banks etc, 2 primary schools, and plenty of clubs for kids and adults - scouts, guides, dance, gymnastics, tennis, rugby, swimming, soccer etc. Most children go to Paraparaumu College on the school buses which has just got some of the best NCEA results in Wellington area and some others go to Kapiti College which is also good.
Yes, I'd heard that the schools here are good. We've had a look at the tki website for the ERO reports. Also, nice to hear there's plenty of community things available. Most sport things are seasonal over in the UK too, cricket in the spring/summer, lacrosse/rugby in the autumn/winter. I would like to know if there are any lacrosse clubs (for boys) in the Wellington region. I looked online and my search was inconclusive. It is a growing sport in NZ and I know there are some clubs in Aucks.

There are theatre groups in Otaki (Otaki Players) who are very friendly and put on shows and musicals, there's also the Kapiti Playhouse in Paraparaumu.
That sounds good.

If you're on fb, join the group Destination Waikanae for a taste of living here!
I'll do that! Thanks v much I'm feeling more optimistic after reading your post.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 10:57 pm
Banned

Dott. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
Hi, I've been offered a job in Wellington after a recent visit to see friends. I'm now applying for residency for myself, my wife and two school age children via SMC from the UK. We have just received the ITA and now need to get all docs etc.

The only problem now is that wife and one child are extremely nervous!!! After reading some of the above, it's not surprising she's nervous. Hopefully we will get through it together though and it won't be too terrible when we get there. Her friend is suggesting I go out first and start work for 3 months to make sure it's ok. Then they can follow me later. I'm not sure, but I know she is worried about the eldest and schools etc (year 6/7)
Does the earthquake risk not worry you? It would me.

I've been to Wellington a few times, can't say it has got much going for it. The weather's dodgy (windy most of the time) and the city itself quite down at heel. The traffic is appalling, the airport is downright terrifying and most homes seem to be perched on the sides of cliffs. Take a walk through using google streetview and see what I mean.
I've done 1h commute by train before and its slightly on the long side but it beats driving and its amazing how many books you get through..
The novelty quickly fades when you've experienced New Zealand's trains.

I think you should listen to your friend's advice, work there first and then get the family to follow you later. Even then, don't sell up. Give it a year or two and see how it works out. Then decide.

Last edited by Dott.; Apr 20th 2016 at 11:00 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 11:45 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

MrF likes the commute time, means he can either sleep or catch up on some paperwork. He then has a 15min to the office from the station where he picks up a coffee and knowing him a cake or two.

Only problem is its one line and when there are problems he is either stuck in welly or stuck at home, or anywhere in between dependent on where the problem is. He has experienced more travel problems here than he did in the UK, not delays but just not running or running short of destination and then having to wait around for bus replacements which are never enough to take all the passengers in a comfy fashion. But the journey is more picturesque

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 20th 2016 at 11:48 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 11:49 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO
yeh yeh, its got bricks I can see and is on the ground. anyway get off here and enjoy the trees :P

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 21st 2016 at 12:27 am. Reason: for everyone: I know Moso personally and she has literally been hugging trees over the last few days, hence this post.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 6:37 am
Welly bound

Originally Posted by Dott.

I've been to Wellington a few times, can't say it has got much going for it. The weather's dodgy (windy most of the time) and the city itself quite down at heel. The traffic is appalling, the airport is downright terrifying and most homes seem to be perched on the sides of cliffs. Take a walk through using google streetview and see what I mean.
I'm sorry but I have been to Welly, the city did not feel at all down at heel. Trust me, I'd recognise that anywhere. The traffic is a million times better than where I am at present. Even Aucks is better than here and I know Welly apart from a few pinch points is generally ok by UK standards.

The novelty quickly fades when you've experienced New Zealand's trains.
Again this isn't a problem for reasons I won't go into on here.

I think you should listen to your friend's advice, work there first and then get the family to follow you later. Even then, don't sell up. Give it a year or two and see how it works out. Then decide.
There is a decidedly anti NZ feel to your posts. Did you just sign up here to try to put others off for purely altruistic reasons?
Old Apr 21st 2016, 6:42 am
Welly bound

No more so than if I had the opportunity to work in California or Japan. It is a risk, but a small one. Theres a much higher chance of dying through being run over. So in short no, it doesn't worry me enough not to live there. A few rumbles would be ok. A bigger one and you take your chances and hope preparation is sufficient.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
There is a decidedly anti NZ feel to your posts. Did you just sign up here to try to put others off for purely altruistic reasons?
If you can manage it without selling your UK home, I do find this is good advice as you never know what will happen or how people will feel.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

The weather's dodgy (windy most of the time) and the city itself quite down at heel.
I agree with you Dott about being 'down at heel' I don't know where the smarter / less smart areas are but you have to drive through a lot of unkempt shabby and poky little old to get from the airport to town. Shabby wee houses with cars parked on the overgrown postage stamp bit of lawns at the front, sporting filthy rotten paintwork, shabby old curtains, broken windows etc.

I find the CBD area itself all a bit seedy, apart from Lambton Quay and Queens Wharf areas the place is full of filthy old shop door ways most of which look vacant or like student accommodation and backpackers. Unless I'm missing the point; maybe worn and cracked concrete and brick work which has been painted black is a desired 'look' or actually a fashion statement.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:29 am
Welly bound

OK, I've got the message. Essentially Wellington's cr*p, don't move there. I've also heard that Auckland's cr@p don't move there either.

Thanks guys I'll stay in cr@p Manchester!
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:39 am

I'm not a city person at all and yes just like London there are the less nice area's and backpackers etc but you get that in every city in the world. I don't often go into Wellington, just because I don't need to but when I do the water front is lovely, the museum's are excellent, many cafes and restaurant for all pockets. As I say don't often go. Whereas MrF goes in during the week for work but as he really only spends, when he can, an hour out and about during the day it has all he needs.
And to be honest its way to small to compare it to London and unlike London it has a waterfront and beaches.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:08 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know Wellington so can't comment but don't judge it on a drive through. It's like driving home from Heathrow airport. The route I used to take went through all the seedier parts of town, but the part of lived in was green and leafy. Last time I went to Wellington I thought the houses looked a bit run down on the route to the airport, but maybe there are nice areas not located on the main drag into town.

I'd take the job, get here and move later if you want to. Nothing is set in stone.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
"The Transmission Gully Motorway is a 26 km four-lane motorway proposed for Wellington, New Zealand. Construction officially began on 8 September 2014 and completion is scheduled for 2020."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transm...Gully_Motorway

and the Kapiti Expressway should be finished by the end of this year, Hooray!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.