Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Customs :-bringing a tent?

Customs :-bringing a tent?

Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:22 pm
Short & Sweet

Spawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to all
Default Customs :-bringing a tent?

Hiya Everyone.
I know it might seem silly but, just wondering is it worth fetching tent over from UK? Only just bought it, used it only once. But been told that customs might want to open and fumigate it and if so how much will it cost? (just to see whether tent is worth it).

Thanks
Dawn
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:07 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Customs :-bringing a tent?

Originally Posted by Spawny67
Hiya Everyone.
I know it might seem silly but, just wondering is it worth fetching tent over from UK? Only just bought it, used it only once. But been told that customs might want to open and fumigate it and if so how much will it cost? (just to see whether tent is worth it).

Thanks
Dawn
We decided not to bring ours in the end....incase, but if you have only used it once and is super clean, im sure it will be ok??

and its a good job we didnt cause my daughter nearly 15 wont go camping again now...bloody teenagers.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:09 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

We brought a gazzebo - over zealous packers,luckily it wasn't inspected, as not intending to bring it we hadn't checked to see if poles clear of soil. Make sure it's clean.

Pauline
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

leedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura aboutleedge has a spectacular aura about

We brought one without any problems - we had scrubbed the groundsheet inside and out with plenty of Jeyes fluid....nice and smelly for when the MAF guys checked it.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I really wish we had brought our tent over with us. Like yours , ours was practically new and used maybe twice. We were put off by what the shippers said but once here we realised that loads of people bring in tents and hiking boots every blooming day . Just look at all the backpackers !

Scrub the thing inside and out with jeyes fluid. Vacuum the thing and inspect for any bits of dirt and grass etc. Do the same with walking boots, sports boots, bikes and all that sort of stuff. Keep a list of these items as you will need that list for your MAF declaration this end.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:39 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

we took 2 and I hadnt even bothered to clean them cos I forgot!
When MAf shook it out all this muck flew out of it into the garage - we looked horrified - he just smiled and said it was fine. MAF arent the ogres they're made out to be, ours was a lovely guy.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Ours had to go away for cleaning because I had forgotten to clean it and it was covered in grass. Quite reasonable of the MAF guy really, but a bit of a pain at the time. I'd say bring it, but give it a good clean first
Old Aug 14th 2008, 6:22 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

We just swept out our inner and wiped down with a sponge, no Jeyes fluid.
It was fine. Don't panic, bring it, or you'll wish you had when you see what Khatmandu charge here.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

bring it

just make sure its really really clean

tent pegs through the diswaster that sort of clean..
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Brought all 3 of my tents over without probs, I cleaned them but didn't go to the trouble of any special disinfectant. Likewise my bikes too.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 4:38 pm
Short & Sweet

Spawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to all

Cheers everyone.Think I'll risk and fetch it.
Dawn
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:08 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

I had similar but with a hedge trimmer. The shipper said take it but make sure its clean. It was rubbed clean with oil and WD40 etc. MAF looked at it and said it was fine. We should have taken our tent too but didn't. The man from MAF was more interested in our Christmas tree even though it was a false one. But he had to check for pine cones just in case. Funny thing was he was most interested in the new axe we had bought from the warehouse. He kept picking it up and looking at it. Was only a cheapo one though.