Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What do you think about this?

What do you think about this?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:26 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you think about this?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...c-1638632.html

Personally, I think it is probably the most romantic thing a couple could do for each other if faced with this situation. The thought of them cuddling up close and dying together is the ultimate act of love for each other
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What do you think about this?

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

Personally, I think it is probably the most romantic thing a couple could do for each other if faced with this situation. The thought of them cuddling up close and dying together is the ultimate act of love for each other
Wow, what a difficult decision that must have been.

Under the circumstances though if that is what they wanted and they thought it through properly then I am happy for them. They must have loved each other very much.

I watched a very close loved one suffer a painful death from cancer so I can empathise with anyone who wants to end their life in this way if they have a terminal illness.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:29 am

Adelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

I agree. Pity they had to go abroad to do it though.

Adelia
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

"if euthanasia was ever legalised in Britain, vulnerable and seriously ill people would come under pressure to end their lives prematurely. The right to die could so easily become a duty to die."

Whilst I can understand this viewpoint made at the end of the article - and there is always the likelihood that some people could be exploited - I think in this particular case it sounds like this couple had their full faculties to make and act on their well-considered choice. And I'm glad such a facility exists if that is what they really want. And yes, it's a shame they had to endure the journey to Switzerland in what much have been an extremely poor state of health in order to complete their wishes.

It sounded like they told no-one, and I suspect their own children were devastated to hear the news. Both my parents have died. One slowly and painfully, and one suddenly without warning. Both were awful, but looking back, I know which one I - and they - would have preferred. I'm all for choice. And if quality of life is so unbearable, then there should be no stigma to making this choice. We never let animals suffer pain, but we sit and watch loved ones climb the walls with pain. I don't get it.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Awww I find it sad, as a nurse I have seen people die and looked after people I thought would die only to recover. I do find it nice they went together though. The family must be shocked and devastated.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

I think it is the most selfish thing you can do.

The boss of the fellow who died was on TV and he was distraught saying he and his wife were lovely people and he just spoke to him last week,he can't belive what has happened and he didn't get his chance to say goodbye.

We shouldn't be playing god in this small world in my opinion.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maka paka

We shouldn't be playing god in this small world in my opinion
But we do play God all the time.

Yes, ultimately it is selfish. But it was their choice. I mentioned it before, but I suspect the family were pretty devastated and will go round in circles for a long time chewing over every recent conversation and what else they could have 'done'.

This was an elderley, terminally ill couple of people. Probably (but we don't really know) still very much in love and not enjoying much of a quality of life, and determined to scrape out the last bit of dignity from their awful circumstances as they possibly could. Maybe they fast-forwarded to the day when one of them died a horrible death and did not want to a) witness that b) be left behind. Personally, I admire their fortitude! Selfish, yes, but ultimately their decision.

I don't presume to touch on the subject of suicides in completely different circumstances. But for this old couple, I hope they are resting in pain-free peace.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The boss of the fellow who died was on TV and he was distraught saying he and his wife were lovely people and he just spoke to him last week,he can't belive what has happened and he didn't get his chance to say goodbye.

We shouldn't be playing god in this small world in my opinion.
While there is an element of selfishness in any suicide, in this case do you really believe it is "the most selfish thing you can do"???

You don't have to scroll too far down the BBC News site to find plenty of examples of far more selfish behavior.

I'm not sure who is more selfish: The person who seeks help for a dignified end because he/she is in such pain or the relative who wants to extend the pain so he/she can see his/her favorite aunt just another few times before she dies .... or the doctor who thinks his primary job is to prevent death, even where the natural cause of events would lead the patient to die. Who is playing God in that situation?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:36 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
But we do play God all the time.

We never let animals suffer pain, but we sit and watch loved ones climb the walls with pain. I don't get it.
Originally Posted by dunroving
While there is an element of selfishness in any suicide, in this case do you really believe it is "the most selfish thing you can do"???

I'm not sure who is more selfish: The person who seeks help for a dignified end because he/she is in such pain or the relative who wants to extend the pain so he/she can see his/her favorite aunt just another few times before she dies .... or the doctor who thinks his primary job is to prevent death, even where the natural cause of events would lead the patient to die. Who is playing God in that situation?
I agree wholeheartedly with ann m and dunroving.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

No,eating your last fruit pastile in front of a friend is way more selfish,a crime that should have the death penalty imposed instantly!!

Last edited by maka paka; Mar 7th 2009 at 10:54 am. Reason: refining quotation
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:32 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

No,eating your last fruit pastile in front of a friend is way more selfish,a crime that should have the death penalty imposed instantly!!
Now there I was thinking that suicide was a pretty serious topic of conversation ... silly me.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:07 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

You`ve actually indentified well the three choices that are often available in this type of situation. The Doctor is bound by a code of conduct to save life and to further his/her vocation and therefore is unwillingly selfish in these matters. Close family or friends can be selfish in keeping their loved one alive for as long as possible, others will recognize the suffering the loved person is going through, so will see their death as a blessing where the person can at last find peace. To conclude, I feel those that are terminally ill and with no hope of a cure or remission for their illness, should have the right to terminate their lives as and when they see fit, whether they are selfish or not is besides the point, because I believe unless somebody has gone through the pain and depression of a serious illness, they are not really in a position to judge. The choice of God in this position should fall to the victim of the illness and not to others.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:09 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

What an absolute load of crap and totally out of context in anyway shape or form.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have a lot of sympathy for the couple and also for the argument that people should be allowed to make the choice. I would never condemn anyone for wishing to have this option themselves and indeed might want it myself if in such a situation.

BUT on balance I would have to say no it should never be legalised because of the risk of it going wrong. The blatant bumping people off I am sure would be rare, but the sub conscious pressure for people particularly elderly to feel they should do the "right thing" and not be a burden to their families troubles me. I think if one life is ended for that reason it is too big a price.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:44 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have a lot of sympathy for the couple and also for the argument that people should be allowed to make the choice. I would never condemn anyone for wishing to have this option themselves and indeed might want it myself if in such a situation.

BUT on balance I would have to say no it should never be legalised because of the risk of it going wrong. The blatant bumping people off I am sure would be rare, but the sub conscious pressure for people particularly elderly to feel they should do the "right thing" and not be a burden to their families troubles me. I think if one life is ended for that reason it is too big a price.
I don`t think anybody is advocating the blatant bumping off, of terminally sick people, just that the choice should be available to those that are terminally ill and with no hope of a cure etc. I think the topic of terminally ill people being a burden to the rest of their family is certainly an issue though. Sadly, in a country like the USA where I have heard that terminally sick people have to sell their assets to pay for treatment, thus removing future economic benefits for surviving family members would make and see more people ending their lives prematurely thus avoiding possible economic hardship for family members. Luckily though, this scenario would not occur in the EU, which just leaves the physical burden that a terminally ill person would impose on their families. I believe that most families would care for a terminally sick person and most people that I know would do the same. I recognize though that some wouldn`t but as you say a person shouldn`t end their life, because they are pressurized into believing that "Its the right thing to do"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.