Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What do You Miss About the UK?

What do You Miss About the UK?

Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

carolandpete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do You Miss About the UK?

[QUOTE=nuttyandfruity;10560597]I miss so much but just wanted to say don't you think it would be a novel idea for every british born citizen to have go and live abroad for a certain period of time of their adult life as a compulsory exercise...can you imagine what a wonderfully patriotic place Britain would be? Everybody would find a new found appreciation for the place!!!

I agree wholeheartedly, it also teaches you so much about yourself and what you take for granted.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dunroving
Nobody miss hot cross buns? They have been on special at Tesco's for a while now, £1 for a pack of 6. I have had toasted hot cross buns with my bedtime cuppa every night for about the past month! Lovely, toasted, with the taste of raisins, and a smidge of melting butter, mmmmmm ....
As one of the few serfs on this forum I tend to shop at ASDA, and just wish the hot cross buns were a nice as when I was a kid.
Much too spicy for me. Will have to lash out and go to Tesco.
Oh, I forgot, I am on a diet.
Cannie win.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I can "get me a bit of decent crumpet" from Sprouts and Traders Joes. Just had a couple in fact..I
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Most everything already said. Especially the countryside. I miss small towns and villages every few miles, each different some nice some not so nice.

To be able to say fine and good and actually be understood without having to say fantastic, awesome or wow.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=carolandpete;10560610]
Originally Posted by nuttyandfruity
I miss so much but just wanted to say don't you think it would be a novel idea for every british born citizen to have go and live abroad for a certain period of time of their adult life as a compulsory exercise...can you imagine what a wonderfully patriotic place Britain would be? Everybody would find a new found appreciation for the place!!!

I agree wholeheartedly, it also teaches you so much about yourself and what you take for granted.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

passthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud of

My sanity, I think I left it in the kitchen cupboard. Any chance someone could post it to me??
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail

To be able to say fine and good and actually be understood without having to say fantastic, awesome or wow.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:54 am
Still Glazers Out!

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Walking into a bar and having the plethora of TVs ALL showing football (ie. OUR football, not gridiron).... never realised how much I'd miss it!

Here, it's bl**dy basketball 'season', what an awful, awful (yawn) game that is... :-< - at least the American 'football' is vaguely exciting, whenever they stop taking 'time outs' and cutting for adverts....
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=carolandpete;10560610]
Originally Posted by nuttyandfruity
I miss so much but just wanted to say don't you think it would be a novel idea for every british born citizen to have go and live abroad for a certain period of time of their adult life as a compulsory exercise...can you imagine what a wonderfully patriotic place Britain would be? Everybody would find a new found appreciation for the place!!!

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vikingsail
LOL

Originally Posted by passthevalium
My sanity, I think I left it in the kitchen cupboard. Any chance someone could post it to me??
LOL again
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

I miss the feeling of having a "collective" experience.
OK it may be somewhat of a myth but when something like the Olympics opening ceremony is on you feel as if the whole country is watching it at the same time.

I miss that so much.

(And the Olympics coverage was really really bad here in the US)
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RChappo
I miss the feeling of having a "collective" experience.
OK it may be somewhat of a myth but when something like the Olympics opening ceremony is on you feel as if the whole country is watching it at the same time.

I miss that so much.

(And the Olympics coverage was really really bad here in the US)
But, isn't that like the super bowl?

I know what you are saying. Might have a little to do with how small the country is compared to the US, Canada or Australia. But I do think it is a more community-minded country as a whole.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
But, isn't that like the super bowl?

Heehee...I thought somebody might mention the superbowl - the "highlights" of which appear to be the adverts judging by the news the next day!

Even events from the past like Live Aid are much more fondly remembered in the UK than they are in the USA - and I think this is partly to do with the way that they were broadcast on TV.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I miss REALLY celebrating Christmas and not having it be over in 24 hours!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 5:15 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RChappo
Even events from the past like Live Aid are much more fondly remembered in the UK than they are in the USA - and I think this is partly to do with the way that they were broadcast on TV.
That probably had something to do with lack of choice, less access to numerous channels back then. It is harder to create that nation wide shared experience these days, although a state maintained broadcaster helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.