The Welcome Mat?

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Welcome Mat?

Originally Posted by aries
............... however we should also take into account that many more expats are happy to stay in their adopted countries and don't use BE to air their feeling.

This article is interesting http://www.shelteroffshore.com/index...urn-home-11201
I missed a couple of things here, silly me.......

-This is what concerns me: it is equally valid to say 'that many more expats are happy to return to the UK, and don't use BE to air their feelings.'
Why didn't you say that?

This is what I'm referring to. It could so easily have been put, but 'being happy in Australia' is incessantly pushed.

This is an international expat site. I may be mistaken here? This defensiveness of Australia, does not occur with expats in Canada or in the US.
If it does, then that is negligible to the incessant need by Australians and Aus expats to 'build up' Australia.

BB's comment on 31/3 here was correct!

-See this is what I dislike about links!

I note shelteroffshores' focus. They are also spruiking Lloyds TSB as the expats friend!
It never is: 'what is said'. It always is: 'what is meant'.
I always look for the motivation behind these links. Maybe the one I'm thinking of has a vested interest; I need to check.

Anyyyywayyyyy....we all know '77% of people want to stay in'..yep you've guessed it! Australia again.

Because 'The Barbie' says so. Apt name. Is it Freudian?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:28 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I feel at home in both countries, but when I was in the UK recently there was no mistaking that that was "really" home, but I'm not sure if that was just because of family or it went deeper.
I think this is a valid point. The truth for many (though perhaps not all) is that once you move away from your "home" country, you forever open yourself up to the possibility of dificulty settling for only one country.... Whether one loves or hates the new country (or some combination of the two reactions), one is no longer the same person who hadn't left "home". And "home" changes too. Nothing stays the same.

It's going to be a different decision for each person, or each family. One country's not really "better" than the other in any quantifiable way--it's all subjective, it's all up to how one feels and what one wants.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Without wanting to sound like a stalking sycophant what a brilliant post. You sum this stuff up so well. What I have noticed is the habit of some to have fingers in their ears I cant hear you style if you point out something about their new future home. I know some will say I do that about this country but if you knew me you would know I am fully aware of its shortcomings but for us there arent very many.
Can I just say Chris, that is because you adore it when someone writes negatively about Oz (especially as eloquently, beautifully honest and well thought out as The Emperor), and if you are really 100% truthful and honest with yourself you will admit that. I think you will deny it on this forum, but you know, that's ok. Just because you were born and brought up in Australia does not mean you have to like it.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
Can I just say Chris, that is because you adore it when someone writes negatively about Oz (especially as eloquently, beautifully honest and well thought out as The Emperor), and if you are really 100% truthful and honest with yourself you will admit that. I think you will deny it on this forum, but you know, that's ok. Just because you were born and brought up in Australia does not mean you have to like it.
I don't really know what to say about this, because though the compliments are very nice and much appreciated, they are not equating to those little red star thingys which I think are rather nice. I feel Chris is very remiss in this.

...one thing I pick up here though: 'honest', (beautiful or otherwise). Honest.
If you believe what I said was honest, then honest equates to true. If what I said was true, then there is little reason to question the reasoning of others, (whether it was the complimenting my posts or otherwise) for agreeing with the truth..........is there?

And if 'that's OK', then why have you raised it?

OK, OK, so I know this is all very flattering, but I haven't responded to it, because I knew I would make myself look pompous, and frankly was a little embarrassed (sorry Chris). I'm responding now because YOU have raised it, and why you have raised it.

None of you do any differently! You will quote or respond to posts you agree or disagree with.

You have pointed out to another poster what his motivations really are.
I will point out to you given the tenet of your posts, why you have done that.

It's the same issue all over again. Don't dress it up as anything else.

(Well; I'm doing a Rumsfeld here. I've been standing at the computer for four and a half hours now. Enough already!)

Look forward to discussing this further tomorrow.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I think this is a valid point. The truth for many (though perhaps not all) is that once you move away from your "home" country, you forever open yourself up to the possibility of dificulty settling for only one country.... Whether one loves or hates the new country (or some combination of the two reactions), one is no longer the same person who hadn't left "home". And "home" changes too. Nothing stays the same.

It's going to be a different decision for each person, or each family. One country's not really "better" than the other in any quantifiable way--it's all subjective, it's all up to how one feels and what one wants.
Now THAT'S Balance!
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
I don't really know what to say about this, because though the compliments are very nice and much appreciated, they are not equating to those little red star thingys which I think are rather nice. I feel Chris is very remiss in this.

...one thing I pick up here though: 'honest', (beautiful or otherwise). Honest.
If you believe what I said was honest, then honest equates to true. If what I said was true, then there is little reason to question the reasoning of others, (whether it was the complimenting my posts or otherwise) for agreeing with the truth..........is there?

And if 'that's OK', then why have you raised it?.
Because it's my perception of it. I'm not questioning reasoning of you or anyone, I believe it to be true and said so. Your posts are very honest, as are mine. It is my take that Chris feels like he wants to say what you say, however can't. He applauds those who speak negatively about Australia and as I said, that's ok if he has these opinions. (you are allowed to comment on pretty much anything remember, I don't have to have a disclaimer as to 'why I raised it'). Chris I think you should be as honest as The Emperor and say what you really want to say here, go on it's an open forum!

Chris was happy to say 'tongue in cheek' said I attract racism (or am a magnet) and that to me amounts to saying to a girl in a short dress you asked for it. Just because I'm here and foreign does not give anyone a green light to be racist to me. I had been really honest with my experiences, awful and great of my life in the UK and found that comment of his odd to be frank and although I thought at first I didn't care, seems it stung me a bit on reflection. 'Tongue in cheek' means being lighthearted of a situation, and I can assure you, the honest reflections I gave were nothing but dark.

Last edited by Still Game; Aug 2nd 2013 at 2:24 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's my perception of it. I'm not questioning reasoning of you or anyone, I believe it to be true and said so. Your posts are very honest, as are mine. It is my take that Chris feels like he wants to say what you say, however can't. He applauds those who speak negatively about Australia and as I said, that's ok if he has these opinions. (you are allowed to comment on pretty much anything remember, I don't have to have a disclaimer as to 'why I raised it'). Chris I think you should be as honest as The Emperor and say what you really want to say here, go on it's an open forum!

Chris was happy to say 'tongue in cheek' said I attract racism (or am a magnet) and that to me amounts to saying to a girl in a short dress you asked for it. Just because I'm here and foreign does not give anyone a green light to be racist to me. I had been really honest with my experiences, awful and great of my life in the UK and found that comment of his odd to be frank and although I thought at first I didn't care, seems it stung me a bit on reflection. 'Tongue in cheek' means being lighthearted of a situation, and I can assure you, the honest reflections I gave were nothing but dark.
The classic Brit defence is "I was only joking" or "it was tongue in cheek". One step from "No disrespect, but ..." which is usually followed by an insult.

Bit off-topic, and not aimed at anyone in particular, but I must say that is one aspect of the British persona I never missed and still can't understand (rudeness dressed up as "honesty").
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:19 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
The classic Brit defence is "I was only joking" or "it was tongue in cheek". One step from "No disrespect, but ..." which is usually followed by an insult.

Bit off-topic, and not aimed at anyone in particular, but I must say that is one aspect of the British persona I never missed and still can't understand (rudeness dressed up as "honesty").
Not aimed at anyone in particular, OK Judging by all your other posts in the past aimed at me I remain sceptical.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Not aimed at anyone in particular, OK Judging by all your other posts in the past aimed at me I remain sceptical.
I think you are being a bit paranoid - I don't recall any of your posts using any of the expressions I referred to, but please feel free to correct me if you have.

I posted a similar comment in another thread earlier today, so it's clearly just a general opinion I have.

I just said "not aimed at ...." in order to avoid offence but it clearly didn't work.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:28 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, it has been suggested I be honest about what I really want to say. Fair enough, I love many aspects of Australia but dislike more. I feel as though I was stagnating in Australia and oftenfelt totally overwhelmed by the Aussie attitude to the world and their perceived place in the world. I hate the overinflated sense of importance and how they imagine the world looks at them. I hate the endless red tape and bureaucratic nonsense. I hate the lack of choice. I hate the fact that I always felt as though I should say something was better in Australia or unique to Australia when I knew it clearly wasnt. I hated the fact that I should have continuously massaged the egos of insecure Australians.
I loved the wildlife and the rainforests and my Australian family, the rest I can live without.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK, it has been suggested I be honest about what I really want to say. Fair enough, I love many aspects of Australia but dislike more. I feel as though I was stagnating in Australia and oftenfelt totally overwhelmed by the Aussie attitude to the world and their perceived place in the world. I hate the overinflated sense of importance and how they imagine the world looks at them. I hate the endless red tape and bureaucratic nonsense. I hate the lack of choice. I hate the fact that I always felt as though I should say something was better in Australia or unique to Australia when I knew it clearly wasnt. I hated the fact that I should have continuously massaged the egos of insecure Australians.
I loved the wildlife and the rainforests and my Australian family, the rest I can live without.
And I applaud you for being honest, thank you.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:42 pm
Banned

No problem, it isnt anything I havent said before though in fairness.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

(I have no intention of any perception ((ahhh! the perception thing! Don't yer' just luvit?)) of 'backing each other up' compelling me not to respond to Chris' posts. OK?)

I like this! And frankly it is put far more diplomatically then I would have put it.

Last edited by TheEmperorIsNaked; Aug 3rd 2013 at 5:17 am. Reason: You gotta accentuate the positive...
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

No Chris, no.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

As you've quoted me, I'll respond Still.

That is the correct quote, and I didn't like it, and I said so---as diplomatically as I could; but I said so.
I too loathe this 'tongue in cheek' thing. It is a pass card for ridicule/sarcasm/abuse/racism......and I know that last one better than many of you I suspect.

Easily done isn't it? It really does suggest that the poster was not honest in other posts.
I have to admit if someone has done the 'work' for me, I'd prefer to just put I agree, or ditto.

.................given that I write little masterpieces an' all, Chris was a tad more flattering. All entirely warranted I assure you.

Look: this is all good. These analyses are good fodder for the 'leetle grey cells'. It's a good chat.

So far....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.