Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving back to the UK from Canada

Thinking about moving back to the UK from Canada

Old May 1st 2017, 10:38 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about moving back to the UK from Canada

I was in London just a few weeks ago. I didn't see one rat, unless you count Alistair Campbell, who was speaking at a meeting I went to. No dumped furniture, or anyone screaming either.
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
Streets are filthy
Rubbish everywhere
Dumped furniture all over the place
People screaming at each other on public transport
Overcrowded trains and buses
M25 blocked
Roads congested
fast food outlets everywhere
massive rat infestation

...and these were just the good points!

Just back from the UK and I must say that some of your points are true. Not everywhere is bad though, but what I found is that you really notice the wealth gap these days and bad areas are really bad. We drove from Dover to Holyhead and you do see some very grim parts on the way.

A lot of the cities and towns seemed dirty and you really need to get off the main motorways. The worst of the journey was a stop in Birmingham and I don't think I've ever seen a rougher looking place. You really notice the poverty and was very depressing to see so much litter. We then went off the main roads and it was like a different country. Away from the pound shops, you found posh country garden stores, farm shops etc.

Wales was certainly a nicer place away from the madness of England and some beautiful scenery. I was relieved to be back in Ireland though and the motorway from Dublin to Galway was paradise, compared to the traffic in England.
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't say everywhere.

I was commenting on my experience of visiting suburban areas of London.
Away from the glossy streets of Westminster and all the other tourist traps you'll find a much gloomier picture.
Old May 2nd 2017, 8:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say everywhere.

Away from the glossy streets of Westminster and all the other tourist traps you'll find a much gloomier picture.
Have you said where in Ontario it is that you live?
Old May 2nd 2017, 8:50 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

When I visited London at the end of March I stayed, as usual, with my friend who lives in the suburbs. I did not see one rat. To be frank, I think your description is grossly exaggerated and would only be credible to someone who does not live in the UK.
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute

You get the same problem areas in every part of the world! I live in Brantford, if any of you know Brantford then you'll know it's one of the worst cities in Ontario...I'd choose rats over crackheads any day!! Haha!
Old May 2nd 2017, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Have you said where in Ontario it is that you live?
I live near Hamilton.
Old May 2nd 2017, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Editha
When I visited London at the end of March I stayed, as usual, with my friend who lives in the suburbs. I did not see one rat. To be frank, I think your description is grossly exaggerated and would only be credible to someone who does not live in the UK.
Ok, the areas with rat infestation problems are:

Central: Soho, west end
South: Sutton, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham
East: Tower Hamlets
North: Haringey, Crouch End, Holloway, Finsbury Park
West: Fulham, Shepherds Bush, Paddington
Old May 2nd 2017, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mush77
You get the same problem areas in every part of the world! I live in Brantford, if any of you know Brantford then you'll know it's one of the worst cities in Ontario...I'd choose rats over crackheads any day!! Haha!
Half of London's homeless are crackheads..
Old May 3rd 2017, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute

True....I've only ever been to London a handful of times, I lived in Wiltshire in the UK, there were some rough areas but I've never experienced anything like this!
Old May 3rd 2017, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Streets are filthy
Rubbish everywhere
Dumped furniture all over the place
People screaming at each other on public transport
Overcrowded trains and buses
M25 blocked
Roads congested
fast food outlets everywhere
massive rat infestation

...and these were just the good points!
I live south of Glasgow but work all over the UK - writing this from Gateshead and don't recognize anything you have written.
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't say everywhere.

7th murder in last 10 days...nice

Southgate murder: Man, 23, stabbed to death in London's seventh knife killing in 10 days | London Evening Standard
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:43 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

The UK's intentional homicide rate, per 100,000 is 0.9. Canada's is 1.5. The UK is one of the safest places to live on the planet.

I don't know what you mean by 'rat infestation'. There are, and always have been, rats in London, in the sewers and along waterways. There are rats in every major city in the world. But most people never see one. They are only a problem if they get into people's homes, or where food is stored. They are becoming more of a problem, apparently, because they are developing resistance to rat poison, but that is true everywhere.
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The UK's intentional homicide rate, per 100,000 is 0.9. Canada's is 1.5. The UK is one of the safest places to live on the planet.

I don't know what you mean by 'rat infestation'. There are, and always have been, rats in London, in the sewers and along waterways. There are rats in every major city in the world. But most people never see one. They are only a problem if they get into people's homes, or where food is stored. They are becoming more of a problem, apparently, because they are developing resistance to rat poison, but that is true everywhere.
Even <gasp> in Hamilton!

https://www.hamilton.ca/public-healt...th-topics/rats
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not sure what you just don't get - I'm specifically talking about London and the areas I know - no point giving me stats for the whole of the UK.

I originally asked the OP where he/she was intending to return to. It turns out he/she is from Wiltshire...so all will be well I'm sure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.